Is Dan Gryder the biggest asset to aviation on youtube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owwwcchhh!!!!

Looking forward to the "Go Fund Me" page ...

The trial was here in Ft. Worth. The first phase a couple months ago, he showed up but acted real strange, played dumb "I don't know why I am here", etc
They said that doesn't matter, we find for the plaintiff. He stated that his net worth is negative and he has nothing to give. Today he no showed.
My guess is his only assets (Car, House, DC-3) are probably under relatives' names. There is a lot that's about to come out.

The trial was here in Ft. Worth. The first phase a couple months ago, he showed up but acted real strange, played dumb "I don't know why I am here", etc
They said that doesn't matter, we find for the plaintiff. He stated that his net worth is negative and he has nothing to give. Today he no showed.
My guess is his only assets (Car, House, DC-3) are probably under relatives' names. There is a lot that's about to come out.
Do you know what the substance of the suit is?

According to the posted order, a default judgment was entered against him last March (meaning he didn't defend the lawsuit), and his motion for a new trial was denied at a hearing in July.

It says he appeared today pro se at the hearing on damages. I'll put my Dan Gryder hat on and speculate that he didn't care what the court ordered him to pay because he's just going to file bankruptcy, since he doesn't make any money on YouTube. Because if he had any assets and was 20% as smart as he thinks he is, he would have hired a lawyer.

Anyone have a copy of the original lawsuit? I've had no luck searching the Tarrant County Clerk of Court web site.

Ron
It's the Tarrant County District Clerk, and apparently they charge for any access.

Do you know what the substance of the suit is?

According to the posted order, a default judgment was entered against him last March (meaning he didn't defend the lawsuit), and his motion for a new trial was denied at a hearing in July.

It says he appeared today pro se at the hearing on damages. I'll put my Dan Gryder hat on and speculate that he didn't care what the court ordered him to pay because he's just going to file bankruptcy, since he doesn't make any money on YouTube. Because if he had any assets and was 20% as smart as he thinks he is, he would have hired a lawyer.

Not sure if it falls under defamation or slander but basically insinuated that someone here was responsible for an incident that took 2 lives. That individual was not present at the time of the incident but a couple people that had an ax to grind told DG that he was there and he ran with it having no actual facts.

Not sure if it falls under defamation or slander but basically insinuated that someone here was responsible for an incident that took 2 lives. That individual was not present at the time of the incident but a couple people that had an ax to grind told DG that he was there and he ran with it having no actual facts.
Maybe that will teach him something about jumping to conclusions.

I like Dan. He doesn't monetize his channel, so he's not trying to make money. He's not always right but he makes a lot of sense when it comes to aviation safety.

He doesn't monetize his channel, so he's not trying to make money.
giphy.gif

Cant kick him out of his primary homestead in TX, the rest of his assets he would hope to have transferred to a irrevocable trust before the original suit, otherwise it's bankruptcy time. Those are some pretty large damages ordered, there has to be more to it than a "yahoo said something mean about me on the internet"

Cant kick him out of his primary homestead in TX, the rest of his assets he would hope to have transferred to a irrevocable trust before the original suit, otherwise it's bankruptcy time. Those are some pretty large damages ordered, there has to be more to it than a "yahoo said something mean about me on the internet"
Idk if it makes a difference, but I'm pretty sure he lives in Georgia, just south of Atlanta. Can they come after the DC-3 with it being in an LLC? @write-stuff

Idk if it makes a difference, but I'm pretty sure he lives in Georgia, just south of Atlanta. Can they come after the DC-3 with it being in an LLC? @write-stuff
If he owns the LLC, then the plaintiffs will own the LLC and its assets, including the very likely nearly worthless DC-3.

Is wage garnishment a common course on these types of judgements? Does bankruptcy protect against it?

Reading up on the google fu it gives the impression the time to have filed for BK would have been before this thing got adjudicated, but not sure if it matters. Hard to believe Danny boy would be judgement proof as a retired airline pilot, but most people shadow their hand-to-mouth lifestyles with a lot of debt. So perhaps his finances are a potemkin village like most americans, even upper middle class ones.

... Because if he had any assets and was 20% as smart as he thinks he is, he would have hired a lawyer.
It does seem like whatever he saved in lawyer's fees would pale in comparison to the 1+ million dollar judgment!

Probably that just plane silly guy. Did you see what he tried to do to Blackstone?

:biggrin:
Man I ****ed them off. The owner came after me hard. I never mentioned their name but he said "Your mocked up forms look similar to ours" and threatened legal action if I didn't take the video down.

Man I ****ed them off. The owner came after me hard. I never mentioned their name but he said "Your mocked up forms look similar to ours" and threatened legal action if I didn't take the video down.
Fwiw, I thought it was hilarious. Based on some of the funny stuff in their instructions and on their podcast (yes, I'm a dork) I thought they'd have a good enough sense of humor to roll with it. Your forms looked legit enough that I figured they were involved lol. Really disappointed to hear they were dicks about it.

Let me see if I have this right: DG slandered an airport owner on YouTube, got sued for it, represented himself, and failed to appear?

There was a brief moment where it looked like he could be a viable YT presence. He collaborated with several of the better ones, including Bryan Turner and Josh Flowers, IIRC, and really came off like he knew what he was talking about and had some insights worth listening to. And do I remember right that he founded the ACCAs? Or maybe hosted the first one?

But that was only a moment, a wasted opportunity for him. You probably can’t even find those collaborations anymore.

It does seem like whatever he saved in lawyer's fees would pale in comparison to the 1+ million dollar judgment!
..one that gets larger by about $140 per day ($50,000/year) that is unpaid.

I guess bankruptcy is a possibility, although it might not discharge the punitive damages portion..

Some might not have to be. I'm not familiar with the Texas statute but the house and car are probably subject to exemptions.
Texas is relatively generous. Exempt property includes his homestead and car and a bunch of other stuff, but not airplanes.

Let me get this straight. DG royally screwed the pooch on the AOPA Catch a Cardinal giveway, attempted to flee from the cops in the gooney bird, tried to start his own Transportation Safety Board, and now this.

I fail to see how anyone can see goodness in him.

Let me get this straight. DG royally screwed the pooch on the AOPA Catch a Cardinal giveway, attempted to flee from the cops in the gooney bird, tried to start his own Transportation Safety Board, and now this.

I fail to see how anyone can see goodness in him.

the funny thing is, I didn't even need those events to realize (see thread title). those were just icing on the cake.

the funny thing is, I didn't even need those events to realize (see thread title). those were just icing on the cake.

Oh, I get it. I saw the first DTSB video and couldn’t stand the guy.

Wait. Can you imagine mashing DG with AirJerry….that would be an epic instance of killing two birds with one stone.

Glad to hear the background of the case.

I disagree with what he said about attorneys withdrawing from a case though. I don't know what the reason was here, but, while the reasons can sometimes be salacious, the most common reason is the client's not paying his bills.

And I found DG's burner:

Screenshot_20230817-123134.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back