Is BasicMed doable without Ishihara?

E

Edge Case

Hello community. I have a 3rd class with no night-flying restrictions, but want to go BasicMed if I can (4 years, and maybe it's just me, I don't want to deal with the FAA any more than I'm required to). Thing is, I knew I could not pass the Ishihara color vision test but for the 3rd class I had found an AME who had alternate test plates. Unfortunately that AME does not do BasicMeds (and is also on the other side of the continent from me now). While there are doctors who do BasicMed in my area, I am almost certain they will only have the Ishihara available, and I will fail that. As far as I know, the BasicMed is a pass or fail (or rather issued or not issued) - it does not have room for issuance with restrictions the way a regular medical does. So would I fail the BasicMed? Or would I be able to convince the BasicMed doc that they should pass me on the basis of my old 3rd class, which does not have color/night restrictions? Any help appreciated, especially if you have personal experience with this, or maybe you know a BasicMed examiner on the west coast who has alternate color tests available. I do not fly at night at the moment but want to be able to in the future - probably after I get my IR. And yes, I could probably fly across the country and get a 3rd class with no color/night restriction from the last AME - but want to ask if/how this can be addressed within the BasicMed framework. Thank you.

You can't fail basic med. At worst you don't get the form signed off by your doctor. My doc gives me a regular "read the chart on the wall" eye test with nothing fancy ("What wall?" isn't the right answer).

A looong time ago, I couldn’t pass the Ishihara either. But I did pass an alternate USAF test for flying as a test engineer. When I took my FAA Class III, the AME told me if I could show him my USAF info, he would issue with no night restrictions. Lost it somewhere but I never wanted to fly at night anyway.

So if you have no restrictions now you shouldn’t have any with Basic Med. My 2¢

Perhaps get an appointment with an ophthalmologist and have the appropriate testing performed and bring the results to your BM doc.

Last edited:
The good news is that you try several different ways to be approved for Basic Med, including just explaining the situation to to the physician and offering to provide more documentation if needed.

No color test on my Basic Med exam. Just a standard eye chart, “Read the lowest line you can.” Apparently “Printed in USA” was acceptable.

Keep in mind that there is a HUGE difference between a Basic Med exam and an AME assisted exam. One adheres to rigid criteria established by CAMI with little or no room for physician discretion and the other relies on the physician's clinical judgment and a lot of leeway in how's that's exercised. One gets set in stone in Oklahoma City and the other can be discarded if it wasn't "useful" to the airman.

I appreciate the replies - encouraging. Looks like there's at least one examiner in NC and one in FL who is using more commonplace color tests or no test. I did call one doc locally and his office told me they need to do color vision tests as part of BasicMed, but I'll call back and ask specifically about which type of test and if they would accept my expiring 3rd class as evidence. TCABM - thanks for the pdf - I do see color vision in Section 3 (item 20). My ophthalmologist, unfortunately, had only the Ishihara when I had my eye exam earlier this year. Maybe I'll offer to buy her an HRR plate book, which is what I had passed for my 3rd class. With the price of a $100 hamburger these days, it would not be a big deal.

Have some partnership opportunities around here but selling my share if I want out will likely take time. I'm looking at 182s, Cardinals and such, and Mosaic when/if it happens will not apply. The 2 extra years with BasicMed instead of 3rd class would give me peace of mind for a few seasons in an ownership or partnership situation. Of course, I self evaluate before every flight.

…Looks like there's at least one examiner in NC and one in FL ….

Have you called a DOT or urgent care doc-in-a-box?

Also, have you talked to your PCM? Mine does my basicmed as part of my annual wellness check.

Have you called a DOT or urgent care doc-in-a-box?

Also, have you talked to your PCM? Mine does my basicmed as part of my annual wellness check.
Have not called a DOT or the urgent care doc in a box (what's that?)

My PCP is employed by a large network and can't sign off on it - company rules.

No Ishihara from the doc who performed my Basic Med in NC. Message me for his info if you like.

The BM checklist does call out color vision as a criteria under the vision check. How that gets accomplished is up to the doctor. Mine uses Ishihara on an ipad.

I have never done an Ishihara test for basic med (those plates are expensive). Been to a couple different doctors for it and they just wanted to know if I could see the green and red. If you don’t think you should fly at night after getting an approved basic med exam, then don’t. If you can’t show color vision to make the doc happy, he wouldn’t sign the form. Once he does, you’re all set. That doctor is not able to place restrictions on a basic med approval like an AME can.

Back