Is AOPA membership worth it?

Many places offer fuel discounts to AOPA members,

None that I have visited ask for a card...

How much junk mail do you get...is it all from AOPA or do they sell their mailing list??

I, for one, have profited greatly from AOPA's Air Safety Institute online learning videos and courses.

As a newer pilot, I know how very much I still don't know. So, that alone is worth my measly $45.

How much junk mail do you get...is it all from AOPA or do they sell their mailing list??

I know that they sell (or freely share with their "partners") the email list. Not sure about the snail mail list.

What's funny is...

If one gets upset with them for violating ones stated/chosen desires AGAIN, calls them and tells them "to please cancel my membership". This call to cancel taking place six months into the annual cycle. Then...

They will send you a full refund.

The same day as the $45 check arrives, one will find in the mailbox a plea to rejoin at a discounted rate of $25 (thus effectively offering 18 months for $25 instead of 12 for $45)

They will forget to close your online access and still send the magazine. Too bad it's the turbine edition and immediately goes in the trash upon arrival.

Last edited:
I, for one, have profited greatly from AOPA's Air Safety Institute online learning videos and courses.

As a newer pilot, I know how very much I still don't know. So, that alone is worth my measly $45.

You do realize you can not renew the non-tax deductable membership and send Air Safety a tax deductable $45 donation?

It's freaking $3.75 a month. I probably lose that in my couch cushions each month. I get it that for some it's a matter of principle.

I joined for the magazines. I stay for the magazines. I have a low expectation for any advocacy frankly. I'm sure they at least earn my $3.75 a month.

I've been a member for about 10 years, when renewal came up I decided not to renew. I may still re-up but at this time the savings of $45/year outweigh the membership benefits.

As to insurance savings, I found that I can insure the airplane with the same coverage through other means, for way less than going through AOPA. Even through the same underwriter it's cheaper. (at least for me)

I got a hat when I first joined, and have never gotten anything else other than mabe a decal or two, which I promptly sent to our AOPA bretheren in the UK who get squat for their AOPA dues.

List their "successes" from the last 12 months

I got a cool little lapel pin at 10, 15 and 20 years. two more to go and i get a 25 year pin!! wooot!

And since there are two of us in the household, Pete pays the $45, i only pay $25 (I opted out of the magazine), and I donate the other $20 to the Foundation.

Back