Is AOPA membership worth it?

Palamedes

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jason Ellis
Okay I dont know if this will be a hot topic or not but is AOPA membership worth it?

I have heard both sides.. some say yes, some say no.

I'm leaning towards getting the membership because it seems like a good thing.. but as always I try to get as much information as possible from "those in the know"..

If it is/isn't worth it.. why?

Thoughts?

If you have ever dealt with the government and politicians, you know that numbers (and money) count for everything. So for me, yes it is worth it, even if I don't agree with everything.

I am sure we will soon have the folks that complain about fund raising schemes such as the wine club, but those things help bring in income (if done well) that does not have to come directly from dues.

If you have ever dealt with the government and politicians, you know that numbers (and money) count for everything. So for me, yes it is worth it, even if I don't agree with everything.

Yep!

If it wasn't for the AOPA we would still have a large TFR around every POTUS visit!

If it wasn't for the AOPA Disney would still have a permanent TFR!

If it wasn't for AOPA we would not have stadium TFRs!

If it wasn't for AOPA we would not have gotten rid of the onerous background checks to do flight training!

If it wasn't for the AOPA we would have not gotten rid of onerous badging requirements at GA/scheduled air carrier airports!

If it wasn't for the AOPA.......

If you like the magazine and the hat, join. The rest, MEH!

Yep!

If it wasn't for the AOPA we would still have a large TFR around every POTUS visit!

If it wasn't for the AOPA Disney would still have a permanent TFR!

If it wasn't for AOPA we would not have stadium TFRs!

If it wasn't for AOPA we would not have gotten rid of the onerous background checks to do flight training!

If it wasn't for the AOPA we would have not gotten rid of onerous badging requirements at GA/scheduled air carrier airports!

If it wasn't for the AOPA.......

If you like the magazine and the hat, join. The rest, MEH!

:yeahthat:

Post of the century!

Nice job, Scott.

No. It's not worth it.

The people who think AOPA is an effective lobby for GA have a vastly different definition of "effective" than I do.

I dropped membership in AOPA a while back to signal my disgust with their lack of effectiveness.

It's worth it to me and that's all that counts. The pilot population is small and getting smaller...we need lobbyists to speak for us.

Bob Gardner

I have a training membership, I think it is great and I support their cause.

On a cash basis? No, probably not. On a political basis? Absolutely. Scott's post is completely off base. AOPA was the force behind the changes in all the things he listed being relaxed and made more livable for all of us. AOPA is the one and only GA voice to which the FAA and Congress listen. For example, when the TSA Part 1552 rules first came out, AOPA got TSA to change a lot of the procedures so the impact was far smaller than the original rules would have caused. Now, can AOPA make everything Scott doesn't like go away? Of course not -- nobody can. But without AOPA, our flying lives would much, much worse.

It's worth it to me and that's all that counts. The pilot population is small and getting smaller...we need lobbyists to speak for us.

Bob Gardner

Problem is they don't speak for me.

I get it mainly for the magazine. Good small GA aircraft reviews instead of the usual biz jet stuff you get in other mags. I also have the legal plan just in case I get into hot water with the feds. They also have excellent aviation training classes you can do online. On the very few occasions I do a cross country, I use their flight planner as well.

Problem is they don't speak for me.
I agree -- they don't speak for Henning or Scott. However, they do provide good representation for pilots who recognize what is and is not possible. As former AOPA President Phil Boyer pointed out, it is a bad idea to expend valuable political capital on fights that cannot be won, and generally speaking, the things Henning and Scott want simply are not possible.

I agree -- they don't speak for Henning or Scott. However, they do provide good representation for pilots who recognize what is and is not possible. As former AOPA President Phil Boyer pointed out, it is a bad idea to expend valuable political capital on fights that cannot be won, and generally speaking, the things Henning and Scott want simply are not possible.

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

So, Tim, you think pilots should not join an organization that is fighting for us as best as can be done? What's your more effective alternative? Sit home and rant on the internet like Scott and Henning?

Bob Gardner

that

I was at Reno a few years ago and had a good talk with some guys from AOPA, long and short, they do good work, but they ain't hurting for money (at least as of a few years ago).

Of course it is worth the cost. As (I think it was) Benjamin Franklin said, we can all hang together or we will all hang separately.

...bad idea to expend valuable political capital on fights that cannot be won, and generally speaking, the things Henning and Scott want simply are not possible.

I am absolutely not interested in a flame war here guys.. I don't see it as productive, but I am wondering what in general some of you want them to speak out about that they arent?

So, Tim, you think pilots should not join an organization that is fighting for us as best as can be done? What's your more effective alternative? Sit home and rant on the internet like Scott and Henning?

They left us a long time ago. They could care less about pilots...i.e. their customers. Their main focus is self perpetuation...self preservation.

They've proven this many times over and I've provided documentation of it here many times over.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's money well spent.:D
It's the only organization that I can relate to, EAA is more for the experimental crowd and NBAA wants $7-800.00 per year, I'm not a biz jet guy.:dunno:
I don't think AOPA is perfect, but I'd bet they do more behind the scenes that what we see in the lobbying department. Sometimes in politics it's not what you get done, it's what you stop from getting down. We need a voice on capital hill, the more folks they represent the more clout they can use. ;)

They left us a long time ago. They could care less about pilots...i.e. their customers. Their main focus is self perpetuation...self preservation.

They've proven this many times over and I've provided documentation of it here many times over.
As I thought --no alternatives, no constructive suggestions. :bye:

At one time, I found good value in an AOPA membership. Today I don't find value at all and ended membership 6 years ago.

When AOPA decides to serve the membership instead the membership serving AOPA, I will probably rejoin.

Forty five bucks a year, you get a magazine and if you don't do automatic renewals, let them sweat the deadline, you get a new hat or tote bag every year. It's not an investment you need to spend a lot of time worrying about.

I think it often costs me more to try eating at a new restaurant than I risked trying a one year membership in AOPA.

Don't over-think it.

+1. If $45 hurts, then by all means, don't do it. Not sure where else you can look for advocacy as such.

Bob Gardner

Too bad they don't have any effective ones. :)

This is the umpthteen post on this. My answer is the Sam as last time, Yes!

I like the idea that there is someone lobbying for GA even a little is better than none. Plus I think the subscription pays for itself for me. I get a good deal on my aircraft insurance through them, I get discounts on rental cars, I get a magazine I enjoy reading every month, and I have a unrealistic chance of winning an airplane. I don't play the lottery, instead i pay $45 a year for a chance to get that plane! Same as gambling I guess.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's money well spent.:D
It's the only organization that I can relate to, EAA is more for the experimental crowd and NBAA wants $7-800.00 per year, I'm not a biz jet guy.:dunno:
I don't think AOPA is perfect, but I'd bet they do more behind the scenes that what we see in the lobbying department. Sometimes in politics it's not what you get done, it's what you stop from getting down. We need a voice on capital hill, the more folks they represent the more clout they can use. ;)

Yet AOPA is more concerned with Biz Jet interests than yours. It's biting them in the ass now though that they did nothing previously for the guys who ran Runway Finder and the like who couldn't defend themselves against patent infringement suits on sham patents. Now they are being sued for the same by the same.

The only one "ranting" Ron is yourself. Adjust your meds please. I pointed out that AOPA is not as effective as some would believe it to be. It is indeed about the only game in town. I think they do offer some good things, but if you are deciding to join or not the biggest concern should be if you want the magazine as that is the most visible item you will get from them. Is that the only source of similar info? Of course not. But as you pointed out about all AOPA was able to do on the federal level was provide a little lube to the arse pounding we are getting. If that helps you to sleep at night GREAT! But it should not be the primary reason to join AOPA.

I've been a member for a couple of years now, personally I think it is good value and works for me, I enjoy the magazine, flight planning ect. But I have to admit I struggle with finding the courage to turn up at the field wearing the hat ......will I be ridiculed by the other guys ? :redface:

I've been a member for a couple of years now, personally I think it is good value and works for me, I enjoy the magazine, flight planning ect. But I have to admit I struggle with finding the courage to turn up at the field wearing the hat ......will I be ridiculed by the other guys ? :redface:

I'm good.. I don't wear hats.. =p

I just recently joined. Got the free 6 months then a year for $25 plus a flight bag. I'll give it a try for at least a year. From everything I've read it sounds eerily similar to what the NRA has turned into. I recently dropped that membership

It's off. I'm debating. And I don't need the swag/junk.

Auto renew is off? You sure? I too turned mine off last year when I was debating. I even called a few weeks after turning it off to confirm it was off.

When renewal time rolled around it still auto renewed.

I'd be curious to hear if the same happens to you when the time comes.

Last edited:
I don't play the lottery, instead i pay $45 a year for a chance to get that plane! Same as gambling I guess.

Viewed as a gambling investment, the lottery is a much better deal. If you spend $45 on lottery tickets, then on average you get back around $20-25. But if 300,000 AOPA members compete for a $300,000 airplane, each of their $45 AOPA-lottery tickets is only worth about $1.

Back