Is "Always" a chic flick?

Well? What do you think?

Now, I freely admit that all I know about chick flicks was covered in the discussion of The Dirty Dozen in Sleepless in Seattle. And that was a horrible movie because airplanes were only used as accents - they didn't even have suporting roles. But I still have two questions about this thread:

1.) We're 40 posts into this subject, and so far we have about 30 guys debating what's a great chick flick. Does anyone besides me see anything wrong with this picture?

2.) Diana, whyinell are you asking us? We should be asking you.

Regards,
Joe

My favorite chick flick ever was "The Long Kiss Goodnight." :rofl:

C'mon, I'd say it qualifies! It's got a chick-flick name, I went to it with a chick, and she liked it too! :yes:

Favorite line (after amnesia-suffering schoolteacher mom discovers she's really good at cutting veggies, decides she might have been a chef in her previous life, and then tosses a tomato in the air and throws a knife, sticking the tomato to the fridge): "What? Chefs do that!"

1.) We're 40 posts into this subject, and so far we have about 30 guys debating what's a great chick flick. Does anyone besides me see anything wrong with this picture?
LOL!

2.) Diana, whyinell are you asking us? We should be asking you.
:dunno: :rofl:

Tonight's movie is "Air America". Henning picked that one. :D

Good choice ............. you got lucky. I got to snoop around in a C-123 the other day. The one that was used in Dumbo Drop. Pretty cool, but it's been sitting for about 13 years.

My favorite chick flicks include anything with Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Kevin Costner, and George Clooney. Not all necessarily in the same movie of course. :rolleyes:

Steel Magnolias
Beaches
Anything with actresses like Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep, Mia Farrow, Barbara Streisand (except Funny Lady, which had a scene of her flying in a Waco and singing. I happened to walk into the room when that scene was on, then left when it was over).

The Dirty Dozen is a chick flick?

Mark. Just thought I'd throw that one in to see if anyone actually still read my posts. :D

The Dirty Dozen = Ultimate guy flick.

Like Water for Chocolate. The pinnacle of chick-flicks.

Like Water for Chocolate. The pinnacle of chick-flicks.

OMG Bill. Didn't see it, but heard about it. Yuck!

Couple of chick flicks I actually like star Jack Nicholson. "As Good as it Gets" and "Somethings Gotta Give". He's great in both.

tonights film

Air America - good choice.

Re: tonights film

Air America - good choice.

One of my favorite films.

I don't usually go for the usual "chick flicks" but of those, I like Always, Steel Magnolias (anything with Sally Field is usually pretty good in my book) and I like a lot of the films that Sandra Bullock is in..most of which are "chick flicks".

Flying movies I also liked The Great Waldo Pepper.

I fell asleep during "Always" so I can't say whether or not I think it's a chick flick. :dunno:

I think of chick flicks as something in line with "Out of Africa" and "Legends of the Fall".

I don't usually go for the usual "chick flicks" but of those, I like Always, Steel Magnolias (anything with Sally Field is usually pretty good in my book) and I like a lot of the films that Sandra Bullock is in..most of which are "chick flicks".

You're right about Sally Field's movies... an example is Murphy's Romance--definite chick flick. (Was a good film, btw).

Other chick flicks:
  • Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood
  • Pride and Prejudice (also a good movie, both the most recent version and the older A&E LONG version)
  • While You Were Sleeping
  • You've Got Mail
  • Runaway Bride

Wow, I'll stop there, just realized that the comment about Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts, etc. was right.

You're right about Sally Field's movies... an example is Murphy's Romance--definite chick flick. (Was a good film, btw).

Other chick flicks:
  • Pride and Prejudice (also a good movie, both the most recent version and the older A&E LONG version)
  • You've Got Mail
  • Runaway Bride
Wow, I'll stop there, just realized that the comment about Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts, etc. was right.
Troy, you seem to be quite knowledgeable on "chick flicks." Was this encouraged for marriage to survive or did you come to this effort on your own? :D

Other chick flicks:
  • You've Got Mail
  • Runaway Bride

You're right about Murphy's Romance and Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood. Both excellent stories, well told. However, notice a common thread there..... James Garner.

I prefer movies that have a story to tell rather than just action and special effects. Recent favorites...

An Unfinished Life. Robert Redford and J-Lo.
For Love of the Game. Kevin Costner.

Re: Is "Always" a chic flick?

I found some interesting aviation trivia about Always from imdb.com:

The bomber flown by Pete and Dorinda is the A-26 Invader, used by the Army Air Corps in WWII. Al flies the PBY Catalina, a Navy rescue and transport plane in WWII. Dorinda helps Al ferry a Cessna 337 Skymaster, also known as the O-2 when flown by the Air Force in Vietnam. Ted flies a Super Decathalon, an aerobatic airplane.

Although the training base in the movie was supposedly in Colorado, actual filming occurred at the Ephrata, WA Municipal Airport (KEPH) which is a former WWII B-17 training base. Many of the hangars at the airport are original from that era, and evidence of the base is still visible - foundations for buildings, plumbing, the roads and even rock lined walks to the foundations still exist unchanged in the desert. When John Goodman was doused with fire retardant, he was sitting on top of one of a series of earthen bunkers, and walking around the airport you can still see the red retardant stains on the earth. Dorinda's house was a shell built for the movie and sits abandoned at the airport edge. Overall a very interesting place to visit as everything is very well preserved in the desert.

Has anyone here ever flown into KEPH?
________
Honda CB1000

Last edited:
Back