Is AHARS supposed to work in commercial cabin?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Got the iThing last night. First, I ordered gold, the face plate is white....why the heck?

Anyway, I was travelling commercial and followed the route from the cabin in FlyQ. It tracks the GS, track, alt pretty close, but the AHARS with synthetic vision didn't show any movement at all. No roll or pitch information. Is this normal? IThing has cellular chip.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dang auto correct...AHRS

AHRS information comes from an external device like the Stratus does for Foreflight. I don't use FlyQ, but would assume that some external information is required.

The seatbacks all have a plug so you can use ship's output. Pay a little extra, you can plug in your sim yoke, take over from the front office for awhile. :D

Not sure why the AHRS wasn't working, but:

In order for it to show Yaw (slip indication) you have to have your feet planted pretty firmly on the foot rest under the seat in front of you and have the iThing laying on your lap.

The seatbacks all have a plug so you can use ship's output. Pay a little extra, you can plug in your sim yoke, take over from the front office for awhile. :D
And don't forget to shut off an engine once in a while to keep the guys in front from sleeping on the job and help them stay frosty. ;)

Of course an aileron roll would be fun too. Lower the nose 20 degrees to pick up airspeed, raise the nose 20 degrees (to compensate for loss of altitude), release the backpressure and apply full aileron with plenty of rudder.
Extra points if you do it on short final. :D

Got the iThing last night. First, I ordered gold, the face plate is white....why the heck?

Anyway, I was travelling commercial and followed the route from the cabin in FlyQ. It tracks the GS, track, alt pretty close, but the AHARS with synthetic vision didn't show any movement at all. No roll or pitch information. Is this normal? IThing has cellular chip.

I think there is some confusion on the sensors in your iPad (or iPhone). While they have a lot of sensors (GPS, 3 axis accelerometers, altimeter, etc..) these devices do not have an AHRS capability in the device. To get that, you would need to be connected to a separate device (e.g., Stratus 2) that sends AHRS information to whatever EFB app you are using on the iPad. The other data you are seeing (GS, track, altitude) are all derived from the on board GPS.

Isn't the iPhone an accelerometer not an AHRS? If that's the case it wouldn't show any roll info if you're in a coordinating turn like you would be in an airliner.

If it does actually have a built in AHRS then my above statement is invalid

Isn't the iPhone an accelerometer not an AHRS? If that's the case it wouldn't show any roll info if you're in a coordinating turn like you would be in an airliner.

If it does actually have a built in AHRS then my above statement is invalid

Some phones have solid state (rate) gyros. That, plus accelerometers, is enough to make an INS, if they aren't crap. Except they are crap....

Ha. You know there was one IT security clown type awhile back who bragged he could do that using the IFE/IFC systems that connect to the ARINC 429 bus. Couldn't prove it though.

I did read about that. Seems like the feds showed big interest in him for a while.

Back