Is a Superior Camshaft as Good as a Lycoming?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
The title is the question. I am in the midst of a zero time overhaul gathering parts. I found and purchased the latest version Lycoming brand DLC coated lifters which prevents or at least reduces the possibility of lifter spalling. Now I have to buy a cam to go with it. The lifters are where the corrosion leads to spalling, so, I don’t think a Lycoming brand cam is necessary, but I would like to tap the engine repair/rebuild experience set here.

So for those of you with engine repair and overhaul experience, what say you?

When I last overhauled a Lycoming 12 years ago I bought a new cam through Aircraft Specialties that was manufactured by a different outfit that wouldn’t sell direct. I was told they made pretty much everybody’s aviation cams. ASS ran it on their Cam Doctor and it was perfect. I don’t know who manufactures Superior’s cams but chances are good it isn’t Superior. When I tore that engine down the old cam was badly corroded. The lifters were perfect.

My new Lycoming uses roller lifters. Superior engines do the same.

All I know is that buying the Lycoming camshaft kit seemed to make more sense to me than buying pieces of it, comes with camshaft, DLC tappets, hydraulic units and pushrod sockets for $1614 shipped when I bought one. (O320E2D parts) The same kit is now pricd at $1775.50

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8409 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8409 (1).jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 41
Mix & match has its risks too. Hardness matching, coating, etc.

Thanks guys! Gonna use a Lycoming cam. I’m excited to finally have found the DLC lifters.

Back