Is a medical necessary for this?

Dave S.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
thetexan
A prospective student asked end me an interesting question...

Must he have a medical for me to give him a flight review or an IPC?

My thought is that I would be PIC in the IPC anyway so that doesn't require him to have one, and

I would simply act as PIC for the review as well so, again, he doesn't need one.

Any thoughts?

tex

Why is that your thought?

(I assume that by "be" you mean "act as".)
He gives IPCs under IFR?

A noncurrent or non-instrument-rated pilot can act as PIC under VFR, even if under the hood. It just doesn't count for currency until the IPC is signed off.

Why is that your thought?
He might have meant "would" in the prospective "will" sense, not the mandatory "must" sense.

"If he's not able to act as PIC,I would"
Not
"It's an IPC so I would have to act as PIC."

Or, as @MAKG1 supposed, parts of the IPC might be on an IFR flight plan.

Btw, didn't we just have a very long discussion on this, or was that another forum?

As @OverTQ said, no, he does not need a medical for an IPC or flight review. Although I woul refer to 61.23, the reg that describesvwhen a medical certificate is required.

Last edited:
What I meant was that while doing the IPC with him under the hood I am acting as PIC even if he has no medical.
The same with the FR. I will act as PIC since he can't because he doesn't have a medical.

My point is...is there any reason anyone can think of that keep me from doing this?

tex

What I meant was that while doing the IPC with him under the hood I am acting as PIC even if he has no medical.
The same with the FR. I will act as PIC since he can't because he doesn't have a medical.

My point is...is there any reason anyone can think of that keep me from doing this?

tex
I can't think of any. I got an IPC and a BFR last year when I was medically grounded. The CFI was of course the Pilot in Command of the flight. He never had to take the controls so I logged the entire time as PIC.

I had a records kerfuffle with my medical a couple of cycles back and I was without a medical for a month. My BFR (actually annual for club insurance reasons) was due. So I asked the Chief Instructor if he'd do my BFR and act as PIC since my medical was in flux. He was happy to.

tex
None at all, notwithstanding the occasional CFI who wants the pilot receiving the FR or IPC to have a medical since he believes his signature is a go-ahead that authorizes the pilot to fly as PIC.

Just to throw a wrinkle at this, has any clarification come down yet about the case where the CFI doesn't have a medical and is flying under BasicMed (after May 1, of course)? Last I heard, the CFI can instruct without legal worries UNLESS he is not PIC and in a situation where more than one crew member is required, such as giving an IPC with a hooded pilot, or primary training or a FR with a hooded pilot. In those situations, the CFI MUST be acting as PIC in order to be legal. (Similarly, to act as safety pilot for another pilot, a pilot flying under BasicMed must be acting as PIC and not SIC.)

At least that was my understanding... not being a CFI, I haven't really followed that aspect of it too closely.

Back