Is a FIKI twin substantially safer than a FIKI single in the Midwest?

Eggman - good chance that 22 was not equipped with the FIKI system. The inadvertent ice TKS system that is on 90% of SR22s is not designed for that type of situation and is VERY different from the FIKI system. It works for short exposure to light ice but that's about it. Glad he got out of there safe.

No way it was a legal flight for them if that was the case. It was a "known icing" day if there is such a thing.

So you'd rather be picking up ice in a 172 than an old Aztec?

Given those two choices, no question I'd rather be in the 172. If I have to land fast with ice I'd rather take my chances in the slower 172. Less energy to dissipate.

Given those two choices, no question I'd rather be in the 172. If I have to land fast with ice I'd rather take my chances in the slower 172. Less energy to dissipate.

I have to vehemently disagree here.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Wow indeed. You would prefer to crash in a faster heavier plane. Best brush up on your physics and review kinetic energy as a function of mass and velocity ;)

But I guess that is what makes you "fearless". :lol:

Did someone in your past convince you that ignorance was a virtue? Let me assure you, it is not. It is not even cute.

When the C-172 stalls with the load of ice, you will be landing on the spinner. Probably going just fast enough to kill you.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Well, he did say he was a dummy. At least we can agree with him on one thing.

Unfortunately, PoA doesn't have a policy that bans members when they show themselves to be trolls. I wish the MC would change that.

In the 172 you wouldnt be in ice at 10k. You would be picking your way between the fog banks at 800ft below a 1000ft ceiling ;-)

Last edited:
Wow indeed. You would prefer to crash in a faster heavier plane. Best brush up on your physics and review kinetic energy as a function of mass and velocity ;)

But I guess that is what makes you "fearless". :lol:

I prefer to hedge my bets against crashing in the first place.

I prefer to hedge my bets against crashing in the first place.

Of course. We are in agreement there. I wouldn't be in that position in the first place.

There are others on this thread who seem to be arguing that it is okay and safe to be flying non-FIKI planes into icing because somehow according to their experience they are actually better than other certified FIKI planes. One of these misguiding individuals is even an attorney who claims to be employed in the field of accident investigations... God help us.

Of course. We are in agreement there. I wouldn't be in that position in the first place.

There are others on this thread who seem to be arguing that it is okay and safe to be flying non-FIKI planes into icing because somehow according to their experience they are actually better than other certified FIKI planes. One of these misguiding individuals is even an attorney who claims to be employed in the field of accident investigations... God help us.

I think if you actually fully read those posts, you might learn something.

Unfortunately, PoA doesn't have a policy that bans members when they show themselves to be trolls. I wish the MC would change that.

Oh, the rule is there...

PoA RoC said:
Trolling is prohibited. Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the board. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion in the long run, it only encourages personal attacks (if left unchecked).

... It's just not enforced to a level sufficient to eliminate the problem. We have lost way too many of the good posters. :(

I sure miss Kimberly, Wayne, Chip, Ken, Bruce, and many others who contributed to what this board once was.

Because we all know that the piece of paper from the FAA will keep you safe!

I'd rather get real-world knowledge from this forum, not a regurgitation of the FARs.

... It's just not enforced to a level sufficient to eliminate the problem. We have lost way too many of the good posters. :(

An unenforced rule isn't a rule.

Because we all know that the piece of paper from the FAA will keep you safe!

I'd rather get real-world knowledge from this forum, not a regurgitation of the FARs.

A voice of reason. :)

Back