IRS/State tax request for Airplane just flying by?

Every state does it for truckers.

The difference is, the trucks are using roads which are built by the state. What construction and maintenance costs are there for air?

...He said he would deal a lot with Pittsburgh ATC and Johnstown ATC...

Again, you've said he landed there twice, but the question is, how long did he stay? If he lives around various locations, he may have stayed in PA long enough (their state use tax is triggered at 7 days) to actually owe the tax.

Last edited:
They perhaps screwed up a tail number . . . you simply return the assessment with a letter stating:

"There must be some error in your assessment procedures. My aircraft is not based in the state of XX and I have landed in the state of XX only twice in the last 5 years. I am not a resident of state XX and own no real property in state XX and do not base the assessed property in State XX. Please respond."

End of problem.

..."My aircraft is not based in the state of XX and I have landed in the state of XX only twice in the last 5 years..."

End of problem.

Probably not, because it fails to answer the central question of whether it qualified: "Did it spend seven days or more on the ground in Pennsylvania?" They're not going to leave you alone until you can tell them why you're exempt.

They may not leave you alone even if you are exempt, until you can document it.

States do all kinds of funky things with flying. I am told Kansas used to have laws against airlines serving alcohol while flying over the state.

Again, you've said he landed there twice, but the question is, how long did he stay? If he lives around various locations, he may have stayed in PA long enough (their state use tax is triggered at 7 days) to actually owe the tax.

Does the same thing apply if you park your car in the state for more than seven days, or is this another case of aviation being singled out for special treatment?

Does the same thing apply if you park your car in the state for more than seven days, or is this another case of aviation being singled out for special treatment?

Unless it's a Lambo or a Bentley, cars probably fly under the radar. My guess is that your latter supposition is correct.

"Those 'jet setter' pilots won't miss a few thou."

Unless it's a Lambo or a Bentley, cars probably fly under the radar. My guess is that your latter supposition is correct.

"Those 'jet setter' pilots won't miss a few thou."
Just wait until the license plate readers become ubiquitous.

Years ago, I was based in PHL, but lived in FL. The state used to go into the employee lots on occasion and look for all the out of state registered cars. I had a beater airport car up there and they sent me a letter stating that I needed to register it in PA. I just blew it off (it was over 20 years ago) and never heard another thing about it. The city of Philadelphia also tried to nail commuters for city income tax for the money they earned there (basically taxi time). The company covered us on that one. FWIW, CA tries it every so often too. My airline has a form letter for commuters to get them off the hook.

Years ago, I was based in PHL, but lived in FL. The state used to go into the employee lots on occasion and look for all the out of state registered cars. I had a beater airport car up there and they sent me a letter stating that I needed to register it in PA. I just blew it off (it was over 20 years ago) and never heard another thing about it. The city of Philadelphia also tried to nail commuters for city income tax for the money they earned there (basically taxi time). The company covered us on that one. FWIW, CA tries it every so often too. My airline has a form letter for commuters to get them off the hook.
Wow...
The beast must be fed, I guess.

Back