IRS Building Hit By Small Plane

For some reason I'm reminded of this shooting that took place outside CIA headquarters in Langley, VA:It was morning drive-time, and employees were coming in to work. A line of cars was waiting at a red light to turn into the CIA entrance, and a shooter stopped his car, got out, and walked down the line of cars shooting drivers. He killed two and wounded three more.

Any way, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it demonstrates that while an airplane might be a dramatic exit, it's not a very effective way to produce a body count.
-harry

For some reason I'm reminded of this shooting that took place outside CIA headquarters in Langley, VA:It was morning drive-time, and employees were coming in to work. A line of cars was waiting at a red light to turn into the CIA entrance, and a shooter stopped his car, got out, and walked down the line of cars shooting drivers. He killed two and wounded three more.

Any way, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it demonstrates that while an airplane might be a dramatic exit, it's not a very effective way to produce a body count.
-harry

Indeed. Most of the people in that building should consider themselves lucky that he chose to use a small airplane and not a more effective weapon.

Re: FBI Building Hit By Small Plane

Anyone who doesn't think the title and lead paragraphs of that article are blatantly anti-GA is sadly delusional themselves.

I am not so sure that is a 'whack at GA' It was a pretty fair and balanced report. Both sides were presented and no conclusion were really presented. Lost of quotes form experts showing that GA is NOT a threat, that anything more really would not do much to protect anyone and I love that they mentioned pilots want the same freedom as other vehicle operators. It even went into detail about background checks we already have to go through to fly.

All in all this article is far better than anything I saw out of McUSA Today!

It would cause massive duplication of threads, confuse people

I won't even comment about the absurdedy of such a desire

Your two positions are as nonsensical

Kent's VIP room

Kent will try to deny that this is case

I guess Kent does not expect to have friends

he has no willingness to compromise.

The only real choices are:

Scott - I'm not going to argue with you. Your tactic of making everything into a doomsday scenario and attempting to make me look bad are exactly why I've left the Spin Zone even though you and I are generally on the same side there - I want to have a reasonable conversation with people, you clearly do not.

Frankly, my ideas are what I feel are the *best* compromise on the issue, yet you say I have "no willingness to compromise." It is YOU that have no willingness to compromise - Many people were supportive of my ideas, some publicly and some privately, but you simply squawk as loud as you can to kill the idea entirely rather than offer up any alternatives.

Then, you go so far as to paint me as a knee-jerk, emotional response, no-logic, TSA-style idiot. This reminds me of high school debate class, where I would attempt to show how the other team's idea would result in nuclear war. High school - Not the most mature tactic, but the one you seem to have chosen.

Clearly, these are issues that we are going to talk about on PoA, because they affect all of us and we want to know the opinions of our friends here. Unfortunately, as Dave Taylor (CO Dave, not TX Dave) pointed out, this is not necessarily the kind of conversation we want to have in the public eye. When something like this happens, are we standing out on a street corner with a megaphone ranting about it, or are we huddled around the cookie jar in the FBO? Sure, the public can walk in the door of the FBO, but we're not going to run over to them and start THIS conversation, we're going to talk to them about the benefits of GA.

Also, obviously Dave also thought he was in a private forum when he posted. This area is called "Confidential Subjects" but it is not confidential at all. This thread does not belong in Lessons Learned, it was clearly posted here because the OP, Geico, thought that "Confidential" meant something. Folks, "Confidential Subjects" is just as wide open as the remainder of this forum, the only thing "Confidential" is that you can post anonymously, which nobody has done in this thread, so there is obviously some confusion about confidentiality and some level of recognition that we DO need a confidential forum.

Anyone who doesn't think the title and lead paragraphs of that article are blatantly anti-GA is sadly delusional themselves.
When you decide come out from behind the shadows when you make such an allegation perhaps you will be worthy of a response.

Kent: I'm on another board that has three topics one must be a member to discuss: accidents and incidents is one of them. A member was supoenaed because of some comments he made on that board. He wasn't near the accident, just read things and offered an opinion having flown that plane before.

I agree, there should be topics that non-members don't access. If that isn't done, members can't or won't offer candid information. In one thread where I was discussing something that had happened to me, I quit providing details on here because it could have subjected my actions to investigation. Just not worth it to me; even if right.

A member of this board sent me a PM about my post about Barron Thomas and the state securities action filed against him. Said he was threatened with a law suit for discussing it and I might want to reconsider my post.

Best,

Dave

Yep, they did that while I was typing - And it was an inappropriate use of the capabilities of this forum, IMHO.
???I see the unregistered response posted at ~2PM; your post was at ~3:30...about 1.5 hour difference.

???I see the unregistered response posted at ~2PM; your post was at ~3:30...about 1.5 hour difference.

It wasn't there when I read the thread.

When I read PoA, I click on "User CP" first so that I can get a list of all the threads I've posted in that have new posts. I command-click the little blue checkbox next to each one so that it opens up in a tab, then I click "New Posts" which shows all of the remaining threads with new posts, command-click the blue checkbox for those that interest me, and then I begin reading, command-clicking the "Quote" button on posts I want to respond to, and closing each tab as I finish reading the thread. So, there's sometimes a fairly significant time delay in between when I read a thread and when my posts show up in that particular thread, especially if I get distracted.

Not quite sure why this matters. :dunno:

Yep, they did that while I was typing - And it was an inappropriate use of the capabilities of this forum, IMHO.

It wasn't there when I read the thread.

When I read PoA, I click on "User CP" first so that I can get a list of all the threads I've posted in that have new posts. I command-click the little blue checkbox next to each one so that it opens up in a tab, then I click "New Posts" which shows all of the remaining threads with new posts, command-click the blue checkbox for those that interest me, and then I begin reading, command-clicking the "Quote" button on posts I want to respond to, and closing each tab as I finish reading the thread. So, there's sometimes a fairly significant time delay in between when I read a thread and when my posts show up in that particular thread, especially if I get distracted.

Not quite sure why this matters. :dunno:
Well- they didn't post while you were typing. Your second explanation does pretty much make this a non-issue.

Folks, let's keep this thread on-topic. It seems to have devolved into personal attacks and discussion of the way the board is configured. The first is not approprate any time, and the second doesn't belong in this part of the forum.

Kent: I'm on another board that has three topics one must be a member to discuss: accidents and incidents is one of them. A member was supoenaed because of some comments he made on that board. He wasn't near the accident, just read things and offered an opinion having flown that plane before.

I agree, there should be topics that non-members don't access. If that isn't done, members can't or won't offer candid information. In one thread where I was discussing something that had happened to me, I quit providing details on here because it could have subjected my actions to investigation. Just not worth it to me; even if right.

A member of this board sent me a PM about my post about Barron Thomas and the state securities action filed against him. Said he was threatened with a law suit for discussing it and I might want to reconsider my post.

Best,

Dave

No kidding. Wow.

But, that goes to show - there are people other than us who read web forums. Perhaps whose interests aren't aligned with ours (all of us are pretty pro-GA here). And I think that's worth keeping in mind.

Yes my friend it can be VERY sefish although I think there are three categories here, 1) Those that are clinically depresess and in such emotional pain they just want a way out. Still selfish to a good degree because of those they hurt with thier suicide. 2) Those that suffer some sort of pubic embarassment due to behaving badly, ie the child molester who is the local pastor that gets caught and arrested and can't live wiht the shame. Selfish for his crime and selfish to he family if he has one. 3) Those that are like this guy who crashed into the IRS building its the I'll show you mentality. This guy is selfish on EVERY level what he did to his family ( who by the way were in the house when he lit it up) for his loss and the shame he will bring them, selfish to the folks who worked in that building, selfish to pilots across the country for the restrictions he may have subjected them too, selfish to civilised society.

That's the worst kind, too! :rofl:

No kidding. Wow.

But, that goes to show - there are people other than us who read web forums. Perhaps whose interests aren't aligned with ours (all of us are pretty pro-GA here). And I think that's worth keeping in mind.

They may not be regular readers David. Things can be Googled and come up on here. On that other board, web search engines can't locate information in those three threads is what I understand.

Best,

Dave

Thread moved into Hangar Talk per MC vote.

The funeral for 68-year-old Vernon Hunter, the only casualty other than the pilot, was held today.

Meanwhile, KXAN-TV in Austin reports city code compliance officials have determined that the office building remains structurally sound despite the crash damage.

Has there been any confirmation the pilot removed the rear seats and added an extra fuel tank?

That was a lot of damage to the glass.

I hope he made the proper logbook entry and did an accurate W&B.

Are we saying this guy loaded a full drum of fuel into his plane all by himself or that he put in an empty barrel and filled it without anyone noticing?

Are we saying this guy loaded a full drum of fuel into his plane all by himself or that he put in an empty barrel and filled it without anyone noticing?
It wouldn't be that hard to do it in your hangar. Put the drum in..make a few runs to the gas station with cans.

It wouldn't be that hard to do it in your hangar. Put the drum in..make a few runs to the gas station with cans.

I rarely see other aircraft at the fuel pump when I fuel. I believe you could fuel a tank in your plane at the self-service pumps without drawing any attention.

Yep. I imagine he wrassled an empty drum in, pulled the fuel hose through the door and filled it.

What a douche. Sad reality: a guy like that's gonna find a way to do his damage - lucky for everyone he used a Cherokee instead of an F150 or a U-Haul or a Suburban.

On an interesting note. I was hanging out over at KGTU today and one of the guys who has a flight school there got this guy's hangar. Apparently, they're hard to come by, so the second he heard about it he ran to the leasing office and said "since he's not bringing his plane back, can I have his spot?":rofl::rofl:

On an interesting note. I was hanging out over at KGTU today and one of the guys who has a flight school there got this guy's hangar. Apparently, they're hard to come by, so the second he heard about it he ran to the leasing office and said "since he's not bringing his plane back, can I have his spot?":rofl::rofl:

Well!!!!

Having been there before, I don't blame him!

Ryan

Back