Irish pilots fail to notice that part of wing is missing

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
621531.jpg

A Dozy pilot flew his plane for two hours before he noticed that five-and-a-half feet of one wing had been torn off by a tree on take-off. The Irish pilot told investigators he thought he had been "struck by a little bird" on takeoff in his five-seater Cessna 210.

http://www.westpress.co.uk/displayN...yContent&sourceNode=146064&contentPK=13040192

:hairraise: It's not like you can't see the wing from the cockpit.

Two Irishmen jokes in 3,2,1.....

OK, I'll start.

Two Irishmen go into a Cessna...

Last edited:
Big 'ol knarly Centurion... ...I always knew the C210 was overbuilt.

mikea said:
You gotta see the picture. It's not like you can't see the wing from the cockpit.

Last edited:
mikea said:
You gotta see the picture. It's not like you can't see the wing from the cockpit.

Musta been one heck of "little bird."

The right wing was carrying the fuel. Left wing loaded with Guiness- that's why they had to land!

acrodisiac said:
The right wing was carrying the fuel. Left wing loaded with Guiness- that's why they had to land!

LOLOLOL!

What next? Cessna will certify their Stationairs for "one winged flight"?

:p :p :p :rofl:

5 1/2 feet is half the wing? 210s must have a lot shorter wingspan that I thought. How do you not notice that sort of damage? I would imagine the drag had him giving it a boot full of right rudder just to keep the ball centered.

Is the name Collins Irish?
Wonder if old Ricky would have noticed anything amiss......or just dialed in some more rudder trim.
EB
________
HOT BOX VAPORIZERS

Last edited:
Ghery said:
5 1/2 feet is half the wing? 210s must have a lot shorter wingspan that I thought. How do you not notice that sort of damage? I would imagine the drag had him giving it a boot full of right rudder just to keep the ball centered.

I thought that 5 1/2 feet could be an exaggeration. You think it's right?

Gooogle....Cessna 210 Wingspan 36 ft. 11 in.

Is that 18 1/2 feet per wing? 5 feet would be less than a 1/3. Still enough for me to be wetting my pants.

Last edited:
Found this in AvWeb today, can someone explain to me the relevance or humor in the first line of this commentary ?

Homebuilders rejoice -- your mistakes probably aren't that bad. British officials are wondering how the pilot and passengers (including two aircraft mechanics) on board a Cessna 210 could fly the plane for two hours without realizing -- or expressing particular care -- that a five-foot section of one wing was missing. The unnamed pilot, from a community called Dozy (we couldn't make that up), apparently hit a tree on takeoff from an airport in Ireland on his way to deliver the mechanics to a broken Boeing 767 in Portugal. The collision took off more than a third of the wing, including a fuel tank.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Found this in AvWeb today, can someone explain to me the relevance or humor in the first line of this commentary ?

"Homebuilders rejoice -- your mistakes probably aren't that bad."
Not me. I would guess it was a case of mental block while trying to come up with a clever intro to the story.

Homebulders are known for cutting off part of one wing? :dunno:

mikea said:
Is that 18 1/2 feet per wing? 5 feet would be less than a 1/3. Still enough for me to be wetting my pants.

I'd be filling the seat up next to you...

While I never tried that stunt, I think removing that much wing would be a little more than thump, what was that. More like KABANG!!! YAAAWWWWW (*&#$( *&)(# &%% ^#$%, yo cap'n, why does the yoke have to be twisted so far over to go straight?

This makes as much sense as the over the pole airliner running on 3 of 4. Maybe it's a European aviation thing...

fgcason said:
While I never tried that stunt, I think removing that much wing would be a little more than thump, what was that. More like KABANG!!! YAAAWWWWW (*&#$( *&)(# &%% ^#$%, yo cap'n, why does the yoke have to be twisted so far over to go straight?
You'd only notice that if you had disengaged the autopilot. :rolleyes:

mikea said:
You'd only notice that if you had disengaged the autopilot. :rolleyes:

That would makes one wonder why they were letting the autopilot fly close enough to the ground to break off 1/3rd of the wing.

Dave Krall CFII said:
......wondering how the pilot and passengers (including two aircraft mechanics) .................. to deliver the mechanics to a broken Boeing 767 in Portugal.

does this mean there could be also a suspect 767 (or more) out there?

igottafly said:
As Spock said on TV, that does not compute

For further edification, see earlier posts in this thread on reporter's correlations of this incident with homebuilt aircraft (you're right, it does not compute !) !

Dave Krall CFII said:
Yes, especially if the 767 is homebuilt...

I was kinda thinking, if mechanics are not observant enough to notice a missing wing, what kind of qc is going on with their work on a 76?

Let'sgoflying! said:
I was kinda thinking, if mechanics are not observant enough to notice a missing wing, what kind of qc is going on with their work on a 76?
That's somewhat reasonable but doesn't allow for the illogically presumptuous leap questioning aircraft homebuilder's generally above average integrety alluded to by the aviation reporter's rather pompous and ill-informed statement.

Dave Krall CFII said:
That's somewhat reasonable but doesn't allow for the illogically presumptuous leap questioning aircraft homebuilder's generally above average integrety alluded to by the aviation reporter's rather pompous and ill-informed statement.

ahh, I didn't comment or mean to comment on that part. I agree with you.

Back