IR Checkride write up

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
As some of you know, I flunked my Checkride 23 months ago. Decided to postpone a future and concentrated on sim work.

Last year I formed a LLC and we bought a Cirrus SR22, and updated the avionics with the new Avidyne IFD deck.

I decided to seek out an instructor with a lot of Cirrus experience as well as, one familiar with the new IFD 540 & 440. Not an easy task due to the new avionics. I was fortunate to find one through COPA; this gentleman was also highly recommended by several CSIPS including a former instructor I trusted and he really knows how to teach.

I started with him in January down South, but weather reared its ugly head for the last half of our planned week together. We got together in Chicago at the end of January and slated the ride for February. Come February I felt I wasn't there with respect to the avionics operation so I called off the ride the day before it was due to occur. In May went down south again, and flew several rounds of approaches flawlessly. However, the day of the Checkride ceilings were 1800 feet so no ride.

Had to do the written again as my old one expired end of May. Got a 92 on the newer ACS based exam on 6/17. As an aside, I thought this written exam was more representative of the current ifr environment than the test taken two years previous.

Took ride on 6/29. I basically had an "I don't give a F what happens attitude-just another flight". Oral focused on scenarios revolving around icing, t storms and other weather issues; alternates; lost coms. Questions about approaches, holds, low IFR charts, emergencies and other matters. Heavy scenarios. Time to fly.

This is the rest of the story. It was a real life adventure. With all the jet traffic, on the RNAV approach, ATC needed separation and told me they had to call my inbound turn as part of the procedure turn; then glide path was lost just as he told me to dim the pfd on the FAC so I had to go to LNAV mins instead of LPV mins and had to hand fly the approach through the end because the autopilot seemed flaky (I probably screwed a setting up on the 540) went missed after reaching LNAV mins; then requested an ILS approach for approach 2; unfortunately got vectored by ATC too close to the FAF for the ILS at 1,000 feet higher than the minimum so I was too high ...decided to go missed and requested another vector as well as an intercept vector at least 5 miles outside FAF which led to a very long inbound which was good because it gave me time to properly configure. ATC bitched me out about it but I said I needed it. I ended up nailing the ILS approach.

The OAT on 6/29 was in the mid 90s btw. Inside the cockpit who knows what it was but it was like a steam bath.

The third approach was a VOR approach where there was no room to play. I hand flew it using the flight director and moving map for guidance. I had the MFD which displayed the map blank out due to sweltering heat. Thank goodness we had the Avidyne IFD 540 installed as I used that map instead. Examiner was surprised mfd went out, as I heard him utter "what?" I just laughed and shook my head as something happened on every damn approach.

Examiner said he never saw so many obstacles thrown at someone on one Checkride.

I thought the examiner was very fair. He explained the Checkride process well and put me at ease. Although I worked hard, he said the obstacles I encountered were very real, but see the comment above.

Oral was about 2 hours including looking at my documents and the plane documents. Flight was 1.7 because I chose the additional approach on the ILS.

And yes I passed This time.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I flunked on my first ride too. Entirely my fault. At least I didn't have the external challenges your had on your ride, so I would probably have messed up again had that been the case! Enjoy IFR flying - it's one of the most useful ratings to have, and a tough one to get, so pat yourself on the back!

Hot damn, where did you do your approaches? KORD?

The worst I got was a "best forward speed" on the ILS at KSJC due to a DC10 in trail.

Congrats.

Congratulations.
Some people might say that now you're a "real pilot". :D
Thanks for the checkride report, it's good to know that it was as real as life gets.

Congrats. Similar situation as you. Busted about 7 months ago. Written expired. Your post gives me motivation and encouragement to go knock out the rating....

How different was the written? Been studying. But Sheppard air software does not show me any radically new questions.

Fantastic, congratulations!

On my check ride I put in the flight plan remarks that it was a flight test and I would appreciate plenty of time between approaches. ATC was great and did exactly that. Then on my final approach, ADF no less, someone started screaming on the CTAF that two planes were landing on top of each other. I flipped up the hood and did a 360, no aircraft around. We got back on course, landed, and I passed. But by that time I was just glad to be on the ground.

Congrats. Similar situation as you. Busted about 7 months ago. Written expired. Your post gives me motivation and encouragement to go knock out the rating....

How different was the written? Been studying. But Sheppard air software does not show me any radically new questions.

So I used the ASA book and downloaded their updates. "X" ed out the questions they said are not being tested...NDB, ADF, marker beacons Etc. Did every question in the book except the ETE questions....memorized the answers to those. Turns out there were none of those in my test. Went I went through the ASA IFR test prep book, I also analyzed why the wrong answers were wrong by reading the explanations. Had the Sheppard memory aid from last time. Re memorized that. Did the 5 practice tests that came with the ASA book. I also still had the Gleim audio so listened to that in the car, on airline trips, even while working.

There were a ton of GPS questions- learn GPS inside out. A lot of approach plate questions. Examine them a lot. Know what ALL symbols mean. Know how to brief approaches. Those areas were the big difference between test 1 where I got an 80 and the second where I got a 92. The new written test was IMO much easier. Maybe because I was Checkride ready. Who knows....good luck! Keep at it. It's an attitude game I believe.

Last edited:
Congratulations and thanks for the excellent wrote-up.

A question about the written: Did the written include questions about risk management?

A question about the written: Did the written include questions about risk management?
When I did it in 2014, the question bank did include risk management questions (PAVE, IM SAFE, etc). But since the bank has been updated since then, I don't know what it has now.

The review books/systems such as ASA and SheppardAir and Dauntless might have more info.

Do you have a specific question or concern?

When I did it in 2014, the question bank did include risk management questions (PAVE, IM SAFE, etc). But since the bank has been updated since then, I don't know what it has now.

The review books/systems such as ASA and SheppardAir and Dauntless might have more info.

Do you have a specific question or concern?

No, I don't have any specific concern or question. I'm studying for the written test using the King School "Instrument Rating Ground School & Test Prep Course." It's interesting and quite good, I think; but -- based on the lesson titles -- it doesn't appear to have anything in it about risk management. I asked about the new Instrument written test, because I have the FAA Risk Management Handbook and am wondering whether I need to study its 106 pages before taking the written, or whether it can wait until I'm ready for the oral part of the practical test.

No, I don't have any specific concern or question. I'm studying for the written test using the King School "Instrument Rating Ground School & Test Prep Course." It's interesting and quite good, I think; but -- based on the lesson titles -- it doesn't appear to have anything in it about risk management. I asked about the new Instrument written test, because I have the FAA Risk Management Handbook and am wondering whether I need to study its 106 pages before taking the written, or whether it can wait until I'm ready for the oral part of the practical test.

I can't specifically recall any RM questions on writte, but the examiner as part of the oral based a good segment on risk management- icing, t storms Etc.

AND the new ACS is supposed to emphasize more risk management than rote recall management. So I'd say having a good risk management strategy that you can explain to an examiner is a good idea. Plus, it helps when you go to get your new ticket wet.

Congrats and thanks for the write up! I'm getting pretty close to taking my ride too

Back