IR Checkride Write Up (I PASSED!!!)

madriverman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
madriverman
Passed my check ride today! Whew...3 years to the day of my first solo flight as well! All the posts here definitely helped me prepare, so thanks guys!!!!

Here's a quick write up:
Headed to the FBO at 7am and got the plane ready. Laid out all the necessary documents (AROW, medical, PPL, annual, pitot/static, transponder, ELT, GPS, VOR)...DPE arrived and we went into the IACRA website to get all the FAA paperwork printed and signed off. We sat down with some coffee and dug into a few questions about what apps I am using and since he gave me my PPL check ride, I was using all the apps he likes (Foreflight and Aviation W&B). We went through how I set up the W&B and he asked about the importance of it (Va) and why Va mattered as well as the 3 kinds of turbulence one encounters (wake, pilot induced and wx-related). Then we talked a bit about the NOTAMS at our airport and how the DH for the ILS 17 at MTJ is wrong based on a new NOTAM. We discussed the route I chose for MTJ to PHX (SID, en route, and STAR), how wide federal airways are (4nm from centerline), MEAs (what they provide), random TFRs (and how they can pop up mid flight like in the case of a forest fire). He asked about required fuel (45 mins, but we both agreed an hour is way better) and when I would need an alternate (123 rule); we talked about lost communications (altitudes and routes). He asked about mountainous vs non mountainous separation and what designates it as mountainous (5-6-5 in the AIM, so basically some fella at the FAA). He asked about VOR checks (when/where/how). We talked a bit about how even small planes can easily fall into Category B on approaches if there is a tail wind and sure enough there was, so I was...and he showed me how the ILS 26 has a higher DH than the RNAV X 26 at KRIL, and how that's odd...and we talked about how LPVs aren't considered precision approaches, but they should be given that in some cases as in KRIL, they bring you lower to the ground.

Then we flew. He gave me a clearance to a published hold (also an IAF) and to expect an ILS 17 approach back to the airport, departed, entered the hold (teardrop) and I called to confirmed with ATC (him) that I had not received a clearance for the approach (no answer-call again-no answer), squawk 7600 (verbally) and talked about lost communication procedures. He actually talked the WHOLE time, which I expected based on my PPL--he does this to make sure you can handle distractions and of course, I could have told him to pipe down but that would have been rude since I like the guy! Then he cleared me for the DME arc and ILS 17, flew it to the missed, got radar vectors for the RNAV Z 17, to the missed and he gave me radar vectors back to the hold. Enroute we did 2 unusual attitudes (both nose down), back on course, got to the hold, cleared for the VOR/DME 13 but with new wx (Wind 310 at 30), so we circled to land (he talked about how we can descend 100 below each altitude at both the FAF and circling MDA since we have the airport in sight) and then we were on the ground!!!!

It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Oral was about 2 hours. Flight was about 1.5. Total start to finish with all the bs was around 4 hours. No steep turns. No weird holds. The wind was calm and the air was smooth. Whew. My remarkable wife and little girl as well as my amazing CFII were all waiting with flowers! What a day!

Last edited:
Sounds kind of similar to my checkride in terms of difficulty. Not all DPEs are ogres! (Some have their own issues, but that's another story.) Anyway it sounds like you were well prepared and did a great job. Congratulations! :)

Now file IFR soon and often, and try to get that ticket wet!

Congratulations!! Great to read the write-ups as it helps so many. I am still on cloud 9 from passing mine a couple weeks ago. Took my first real IMC ride in convective weather last week but brought my CFII with me as he has much more experience than I do. When we landed with lightning 20 miles away and a nasty cell moving towards the airport he said, thats the definition of a greaser, I guess the stress of training is finally gone!! Just remember, just because you can, does not mean you should!! Stick to your limits until you can comfortably increase them and enjoy getting your wings wet

Congrats. Maybe he was looking for you to tell him to "pipe down".

Ha, yeah. I knew what he was doing. And he knew I knew...he did it on my PPL as well and we've spent time together outside of our check rides so we have a rapport. I could have easily asked for a sterile cockpit had I been flustered but at the time, I felt good and just let him ramble as I verbally went through my thought processes/checklists/etc for each stage of the ride...he even let me hand him the controls for a bit in the beginning while I rebooted my iPad and external GPS (which weren't syncing).

Ha, yeah. I knew what he was doing. And he knew I knew...he did it on my PPL as well and we've spent time together outside of our check rides so we have a rapport. I could have easily asked for a sterile cockpit had I been flustered but at the time, I felt good and just let him ramble as I verbally went through my thought processes/checklists/etc for each stage of the ride...he even let me hand him the controls for a bit in the beginning while I rebooted my iPad and external GPS (which weren't syncing).

Cool. You know better than to let passengers distract you then and will say be quiet if necessary no matter how nice they are. Enjoy the Goo!

Awesome, congratulations!
Now go bust some benign clouds (morning OVC layer) and have fun! (or do you already have any IMC in your logbook?)

I do! In my buddies King Air 200--pretty sweet. But not on the Mooney--and I'm psyched to get some but that doesn't happen much in CO. We have lots of stuff in our clouds. Ice, mountains, thunderstorms... ;)

I do! In my buddies King Air 200--pretty sweet. But not on the Mooney--and I'm psyched to get some but that doesn't happen much in CO. We have lots of stuff in our clouds. Ice, mountains, thunderstorms... ;)
Cool, good for you. Same here, have plenty of IMC in King Airs, Citations etc which I cannot log. But it sure is a good experience.
Now let's go fly.
And if you are looking for an excuse (to fly), there's a PnP transport in need of a CO pilot. The thread is floating around somewhere here on PoA.

My remarkable wife and little girl as well as my amazing CFII were all waiting with flowers! What a day!

That's unusual for IR checkride, and extremely cool!!!
Congrats!!!

Congrats and thanks for the write up! I'll be taking mine here very shortly threads like this are definitely helpful!

My remarkable wife and little girl as well as my amazing CFII were all waiting with flowers!
That's unusual for IR checkride, and extremely cool!!!
That is exactly why I didn't even tell the wife I went for my IR checkride. I just told her I was going flying. I didn't want her to pull the same c*ap that she did after my PPL ride. I don't care for confetti or ovations. :)

That is exactly why I didn't even tell the wife I went for my IR checkride. I just told her I was going flying. I didn't want her to pull the same c*ap that she did after my PPL ride. I don't care for confetti or ovations. :)

Maybe you don't realize how great you have it to have someone in your life that actually cares enough to do that for you? I think what the OP's family did for him was awesome.

Maybe you don't realize how great you have it to have someone in your life that actually cares enough to do that for you? I think what the OP's family did for him was awesome.

To each his own, ya know? I was psyched to have the most important people in my world there for me. And hell, they have a vested interest in my success since they are my passengers. So, the flowers and excitement were as much for them as they were for me. "YAY, Daddy is now statistically less likely to kill us!"

Congratulations. Sounds like you have a wonderful wife!

To each his own, ya know? I was psyched to have the most important people in my world there for me. And hell, they have a vested interest in my success since they are my passengers. So, the flowers and excitement were as much for them as they were for me. "YAY, Daddy is now statistically less likely to kill us!"

Indeed, it's a big accomplishment! Make sure you keep current and definitely go up and get your wings wet as soon as you can. IMC are sorta difficult to find where I live (at least the kind that you can safely fly through).

Congrats.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Congrats on becoming a 'real' pilot. Quite an accomplishment to be sure.

Back