Iphone v POA — photo size

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Often, POA won’t accept my (stunning & impressive) photos, due to file size.
I see no option to adjust photos on the iPhone after they are taken, nor where POA can adjust them.

You'd think it'd be easy enough for the software to have an in-line reduction process.

This'd allow us to attach our XXL iPhone photo, and standard processes would resize it down to whatever's acceptable.

But - it's not here. Posting photos is a pain.

I just take a screenshot of the photo, then post the screenshot. But I mostly use a computer to post photos.

Often times I get the ‘Choose Image Size’ when clicking on a photo from camera roll. You can select which size is best from there.

7C9EF262-077D-4EC9-B9A6-8DAE28AC8C1D.jpeg

Well I shall screenshot all my airplanes & scenery from now on! No more “photos”!

Text it to yourself save the texted photo and that should reduce the file size

Text it to yourself save the texted photo and that should reduce the file size

:yeahthat:

Many have been the times when the wife asks "Why did you send me that?" "Making it smaller for a forum, Sweety!" :biggrin:

I just use an another app and fix it to 900x900 max and a few other options. This is for Android but should have similar on iPhone if @Ryanb's solution doesnt always work. Quick example took about 8 seconds...

IMG_21072020_211352_(900_x_675_pixel).jpg

I usually have to manually edit the photos outside of the camera to fix rotation issues anyway.

I use Flickr to host my images. The "free" account has ads, and you're limited to 1,000 uploads. The premium account is $59/year. But, its the easiest site to share to forums who do not host images.

Hit the "share" tool select "bbcode" and the size I want from the drop down menu. Then I copy and paste the resulting bbcode link from flicker into my post. Easy peasy!

My DSLR creates files that are too large for POA. An easy solution would be appreciated. Heck, even Facebook has a way to automatically and transparently to the user reduce the size of the files for posting.

An easy solution would be appreciated.

On my windows PC I do a screenshot of the image and post that. This is always small enough, PoA allows images to be pasted straight into posts. Other boards are not so flexible in which case I paste the screenshot into paint and save as a file.

For more detail you will need to say what platform you are using to post from and perhaps how you get the images onto it.

Here are a couple of videos that I have found.

Microosoft Paint resize and save.

Genius HACK multiple file resize - if no mail software installed. I suggest that you can view %temp% folder and sort by date modified.
Brief description - Select files, right click and choose send to, then Mail.

Following discusses some free tools - the full Stop at the end is part of the URL. Usual software from Internet caveats apply.

https://techunumero.com/resize-images-quickly-windows/#:~:text=Double click PicPick icon from,Resize from top PicPick toolbar.&text=Click OK to resize.

Tapatalk resizes automatically and paid Tapatalk allows larger sizes. Allows choosing file size at upload.

Images are stored in their CDN (content distribution network) which is the only downside. If they someday die, the stuff isn’t stored in the forum server.

It puts the appropriate links into posts for inline images automatically.

It’s also a hell of a lot better UI than the browser based stuff for use on a mobile device.

YMMV.

It’s also a hell of a lot better UI than the browser based stuff for use on a mobile device.
I agreed with you whole-heartedly before the switch to Xenforo. I think Xenforo’s mobile presentation is fantastic and has eliminated my need for Tapatalk.

I agreed with you whole-heartedly before the switch to Xenforo. I think Xenforo’s mobile presentation is fantastic and has eliminated my need for Tapatalk.

And have half the screen taken up by an unnecessary input box (only needed if you hit reply) for no reason when reading and at the bottom of a thread?

Silly stuff like that... not to mention all the sidebar wasted space and such. nah. Awful for a mobile UI. Cluttered.

6053b87b7e507d31edd3355bc7924303.jpg

421c6c0b79e0b141e6aa141a59d2beef.jpg

And have half the screen taken up by an unnecessary input box (only needed if you hit reply) for no reason when reading and at the bottom of a thread?

Silly stuff like that... not to mention all the sidebar wasted space and such. nah. Awful for a mobile UI. Cluttered.

6053b87b7e507d31edd3355bc7924303.jpg

421c6c0b79e0b141e6aa141a59d2beef.jpg

The reply box is only there because you’re at the bottom of the page. There’s nothing else useful under it. I actually get more content in a single screen than you do.
39395712-DB3A-48FB-96EF-7894EB08B75C.png

I notice now that selecting a photo to upload is an option to choose a size.
It’s not blatantly obvious, but it’s there.

Back