iPhone Maps: Turn Right on Taxiway B

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
Hehehe, I just tried it. Other than the fact that it's 4,240 miles from here to the Fairbanks International Airport (and requires tolls), I got the same results at the bottom of my direction list!
:D

(And I haven't even upgraded to iOS7 yet - can't do it on my 3GS)

Attachments

• directions.PNG
    directions.PNG
    53.9 KB · Views: 36
I finally upgraded to the new OS with the purchase of the iphone 5. I already miss Google Maps as the native mapping app.

Seems like a fence around the runway might be appropriate - to keep the moose out at least.

Just download the google map app. The "maps" app isn't particularly NATIVE other than they install it by default rather than you having to select it.

Can't blame it all on the app but rather on whoever provides their map data. The various mapping providers all had a road going across our runway at NC26. Navteq only took a couple of interations (first I got the road removed, but they left a little stub in front of my house, which while it looks like a road, is actually the taxiway on a private lot). This is what google used to use. Then google went on their own mapping spree, and I had to fix it again (also not difficult). Teleatlas was THE WORST. It took almost a year to "accept" my change but it's still wrong in most of their distributed products including the blasted Iphone maps.

It took a while for Google to fix the mislabeling of some streets in our neighborhood (including the one I live on). Fortunately they had a reasonable interface for contacting them about it. Whatever their source was, it was the same source that fed the DVDs used in the GPS in my wife's Jeep Commander. It had the street mislabeled for some time, as well.

Wasn't sure whether to post this in Tech topics or here. :dunno::D
Twice in the past three weeks drivers from outside Fairbanks who relied on the iPhone's built-in map app to get to the airport have driven onto Taxiway Bravo and proceeded to drive across the main runway. No one has been injured and Apple promises a fix by Wednesday.
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/artic...app-directs-fairbanks-drivers-airport-taxiway

Hat tip: Macrumors

That is an access road to the aircraft parked on the water. The road stops just short of the right turn in the picture. Right where I parked the T-41B at Ace Fuels. There were not many signs telling cars they were at the end of the road.

That part also doubles as a taxi way. Float Pond Road stops at the fuel pump. It took for ever for the courtesy van from the hotel to find me.

Last edited:
I actually got a message from a TomTom/Teleatlas employee yesterday after a repeated pestering about our airport. It turns out that the latest publicity has increased their sensitivity a bit. They promise to remove the non-existant road across our runway from their maps. They even confirmed that little paved stub is a taxiway and not even a private road and should not be depicted either.

Any tips on how to get google to correct errors?

They have a creek shown as a road in my neighborhood and show another road, that's a deadend, continuing over the mountain to a crossroad...when it doesn't. I notified them of these errors a few years ago...how, i don't recall...but nothing's been corrected.

I wouldn't be so bad except that i can't give anyone coming to visit our coordinates because google always wants to bring them down the creek.

I actually got a message from a TomTom/Teleatlas employee yesterday after a repeated pestering about our airport. It turns out that the latest publicity has increased their sensitivity a bit. They promise to remove the non-existant road across our runway from their maps. They even confirmed that little paved stub is a taxiway and not even a private road and should not be depicted either.

TeleAtlas maps have been poor for years. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple is asserting some persuasive pressure for them to improve their maps. I cringed when I heard that Apple was using TeleAtlas map data.

The routing engine in TomTom GPS units isn't impressive either, or at least it wasn't the last time I tested it.

JKG

Any tips on how to get google to correct errors?

Google is easy. Navigate on the google map (on the web, rather than your phone) to the place where there is an issue and then click the "report a problem" link that is superimposed in the bottom right hand side of the map. I've had pretty good luck with them.

Navteq (who google used to use, mapquest, and is one of the major players in the car gps database) also has a reporting system on their site that is fairly responsive.

Teleatlas/Tomtom has a reporting tool, but in my experience it tends to just get ignored.

Back