iPhone/iTunes question

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
I'm thinking of going to the dark side in a couple weeks when my VZ contract expires and buying a 3Gs iPhone as none of the Droid stuff appeals to me from an operational standpoint. Here's a question for those of you that deal with "the Steve" and his stuff:

My gf has an iPhone and iTune account. Can I build a "Kevin" folder in her iTune account and download just those songs that to my phone? I just don't see (other than revenue for Apple) a reason to have two iTune accounts.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'm thinking of going to the dark side in a couple weeks when my VZ contract expires and buying a 3Gs iPhone as none of the Droid stuff appeals to me from an operational standpoint. Here's a question for those of you that deal with "the Steve" and his stuff:

My gf has an iPhone and iTune account. Can I build a "Kevin" folder in her iTune account and download just those songs that to my phone? I just don't see (other than revenue for Apple) a reason to have two iTune accounts.

Thanks in advance!

I think you can sign up for a free iTunes account without a CC #.

But, I don't think what you're asking for is possible. I may be wrong, but I've not found a way yet.

Thanks in advance!

No. You have to have her add your phone as her device, and authorize your computer on her account if you want to sync your phone yourself. There's a limit on the number of computers on an account - one reason you want to deauthorize unused computers.

You can buy an iTunes gift card to start or add to an account.

When you first plug in your iPhone and it opens Itunes, configure your settings to manual sync. Your Iphone will show up as a new device and you can select those songs you want to have from the Itunes library and then sync them with your account. My wife and I have one iTunes account, and I can simultaneously have her Ipod and my Iphone attached to the computer and active in Itunes.

I selected / created playlists or artists that I wanted on my iPhone, plus Pilotcast and other Apps from Itunes, and then sync'd. Not a problem.

the 3GS with the OS4.0 system is pretty nice, that's what I have setup now.

Welcome to the Dark Side,.. may the apps be with you. :cornut:

a recent exchange with some apple staff opened my eyes to the idea that you should have one iTunes account for the entire family. This will give everyone access to all of the downloaded music. the key to making this successful is managing the number of computers you sync to.

Enjoy your i-phone

Kevin. Do go look at the VZ Droid. I have the basically the same phone but for another operator. It is really not that bad and is pretty nice. iTunes does make the management of the iPhone a bit nicer than anything I have seen for the Droids. But, how often are you really hooking it up to download music? In either phone you can download apps and music over the air. My SO has an iP4, don't get me wrong it is a nice phone, the stories of its suckitude are way over blown. Both the ANdroid and iPhones have issues. No phone is ever perfect. I could tell you stories about the HTC Evo that would make turn in any Sprint equipment you might have.

Look at both and decide. The IP4 and Droids are about the same size, the screen is bigger on the Droid. Sometimes having a real keyboard is nice. But Apple stuff also still seems a little bit more stable. I have had a couple of lock ups with Android, my SO has had none with the IP4

Scott -

I checked out all the Droid options from VZ, including the new release this week. While the phone are capable, they lack the simplicity of the iP. For example, the iP has one button on the bottom where the Droids have at least a couple very small buttons. I find the single large button much easier to navigate when multi-tasking (read; doing things with the phone while I should be paying attention to the task at hand :wink2:).

The primary advantage, and a large one at that, to the Droid is that it is on VZ which has much better coverage IME.

Side question re the Droid...can you use it when a VPN is involved?

a recent exchange with some apple staff opened my eyes to the idea that you should have one iTunes account for the entire family. This will give everyone access to all of the downloaded music. the key to making this successful is managing the number of computers you sync to.

Interesting - I was going to suggest the opposite. An iTunes account is free, and if a break-up were to occur, you can't break up the account - It's all or nothing.

Kevin, do you share a computer, or do you both have your own?

Interesting - I was going to suggest the opposite. An iTunes account is free, and if a break-up were to occur, you can't break up the account - It's all or nothing.

Kevin, do you share a computer, or do you both have your own?

We both have our own but synching to one or the other won't be difficult.

I've got the Moto Droid. Love it. Had to shut it off and go back to my world phone for a trip last week (no GSM support in the Droid) and missed it before I even left SEA. Not sure I'll do that again in September.

Back