iPhone Email: POP or IMAP or ___?

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I use Road Runner as my personal email, and recently learned that when I delete them on my iPad, it also deletes them from my email account on Road Runnner email account. That's a feature that I want.

But when I do the same on my iPhone, I notice that it didn't delete it from my RR account. In fact, emails that I deleted on the computer weren't deleted on my iPhone.

When I compare the settings, I noticed that I had my iPhone set up with the incoming server being pop-server.wi.rr.com, and my outgoing server being mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com.

Meanwhile my iPad setup uses mail.twc.com for my incoming and outgoing mail server.

To complicate things further, when I look on Roadrunner for help, it gives me the option to use the POP server or IMAP, with no explanation about the two.

I'd like my iPhone to handle my email like my iPad, but I don't want screw up any settings.

Help!

Use IMAP if your email service supports it. That protocol is designed to keep things on the server and "synchronized" between different clients. POP3 basically just downloads the email and optionally deletes it from the server.

IMAP and POP3 server settings are probably going to be different, again consult your email service provider.

I only POP3 accounts on boats anymore where I may have to revert to INMARSAT-C or Irridium for a data link. Otherwise I just IMAP a Google or Yahoo address.

If your email is through an Exchange server, that's even better.

POP3 if you want to download a copy.

IMAP if you want to be able to delete the emails from the device and server...

Back