iPad ???

I can't speak to the georeference feature as I have not purchased it (yet).

However, regarding having to manually scroll the map, I run Wing-X and the symbol of the plane stays put and the map moves under it. I *thought* it was the same with FF but we'll have to wait for a FF user to say for sure.

With Wing-X the user is given the option of keeping the plane in the center of the chart or moving it so there is always more airspace in front of the plane than behind.

BTW, I really don't find Wing-X to be clunky. I think it works well. My biggest gripe is that the current version will not allow "Track Up" but Hilton says that feature is coming. Plus it's got terrain while apparently FF does not and as I posted before, fling at night it's nice to be able to "see" where the cumulogranite clouds are. :)

Clear skies,

patrick

Thanks, I may go WingX. Terrain is a biggie for me.

I too feel terrain is a necessity. Out West there are a lot of those stone piles that stick up and get in the way of airplanes. :)

Paul
N1431A
N83803
2AZ1

What kind of data package do you have to get in order for your IPAD to stay connected in the plane? Would you mind sharing about how much that runs you per month?

I think others have answered this question, but:

As they said, you download all maps and such so there's no need for such real time connection while in the air. The GPS signal is received and information displayed accordingly.

One other OPTIONAL realtime data is now available with the recent 4.2 and later versions. You can purchase the hardware to receive Sirrus Weather in flight. This feature is not an extra cost from Foreflight, but requires purchase of the antenna plus possibly a Sirrus radio subscription.

Hope this helps.
Doc

I too feel terrain is a necessity. Out West there are a lot of those stone piles that stick up and get in the way of airplanes. :)

Paul
N1431A
N83803
2AZ1
I think it's nice to have but the only time it's been a "necessity" was the time I had loss of power in IMC in the mountains.

Otherwise, I can see those stone piles if I'm not too busy staring at an iPad.

I think it's nice to have but the only time it's been a "necessity" was the time I had loss of power in IMC in the mountains.

Otherwise, I can see those stone piles if I'm not too busy staring at an iPad.

It's nice to know, for me at least, that when I've been following a road/valley that leads up to a pass, that I have plenty of altitude to get over it and that I'm not about to fly into a narrow canyon. Of course I've checked heights etc... before I go with sectionals and that's why I like the profile view internet flight planners. But still the reassurance that "I've got all this not red anymore area cleared" 40 miles out is just one less thing to worry about.

It's nice to know, for me at least, that when I've been following a road/valley that leads up to a pass, that I have plenty of altitude to get over it and that I'm not about to fly into a narrow canyon. Of course I've checked heights etc... before I go with sectionals and that's why I like the profile view internet flight planners. But still the reassurance that "I've got all this not red anymore area cleared" 40 miles out is just one less thing to worry about.

I have terrain on my Garmin 396, and I'm not sure that I'd trust my life to it. However, I do understand that the warnings are helpful (same is true with obstacle warnings, which FF also lacks). That being said, I've found that the moving airplane on the sectional view with FF is more than sufficient for situational awareness and avoidance. The only thing missing are the warnings.

WingX is perhaps more of a GPS replacement out of the box, but it was clunky enough that I didn't feel comfortable using it in that way. While WingX displays color-coded terrain, I'm not sure that it provides warnings, which I consider to be the really useful feature of displaying terrain (and obstacles) in the first place.

Although I am a paid subscriber to ForeFlight, when I demoed the program it would not permit me to download charts during the demo period. I'm not sure if they've change the program since that time, or whether I was too unfamiliar at the time to figure it out. Downloading charts for offline use is pretty painless with an active subscription.

JKG

I have terrain on my Garmin 396, and I'm not sure that I'd trust my life to it. However, I do understand that the warnings are helpful (same is true with obstacle warnings, which FF also lacks). That being said, I've found that the moving airplane on the sectional view with FF is more than sufficient for situational awareness and avoidance. The only thing missing are the warnings.

WingX is perhaps more of a GPS replacement out of the box, but it was clunky enough that I didn't feel comfortable using it in that way. While WingX displays color-coded terrain, I'm not sure that it provides warnings, which I consider to be the really useful feature of displaying terrain (and obstacles) in the first place.

Although I am a paid subscriber to ForeFlight, when I demoed the program it would not permit me to download charts during the demo period. I'm not sure if they've change the program since that time, or whether I was too unfamiliar at the time to figure it out. Downloading charts for offline use is pretty painless with an active subscription.

JKG

I liked the Garmin Aera presentation where it was red if it was 500' or less below you. The anywhere map was more detailed but the red would go away 1' above the terrain. Anyway, I think I've settled on WingX for now.

I liked the Garmin Aera presentation where it was red if it was 500' or less below you. The anywhere map was more detailed but the red would go away 1' above the terrain. Anyway, I think I've settled on WingX for now.

Garmin definitely has navigation figured out, but I still question the value of color-coded terrain without warnings over the moving-map sectional.

One thing that I had heard about WingX when I demoed it earlier this year was that it had better quality sectional graphics than FF. However, in the demo at least, I found the sectional graphics quality in WingX to be noticeably worse than that of FF. If WingX had been everything FF was plus more, I probably would have preferred it even with the clunky interface. It struck me as the "AnywhereMap of the iPad," where features are prioritized over quality control. If you were happy with AnywhereMap, you will probably be happy with WingX for the same reasons.

JKG

WingX with AHRS and ADS-B looks pretty good. Anyone have all this and if so, how does it compare to say, a G797 or Av8r? How many USBs on the iPad 2 and is there enough to connect all this stuff to it? How do you fit in the cockpit with all this stuff around you?
What made you buy this stuff over a G796 or Av8r? Did you have the i-device and just add this in or did you buy it specifically for this app?
Contemplating a iPad because of Foreflight or WingX...

How many USBs on the iPad 2 and is there enough to connect all this stuff to it?
None other than the single docking port which is not really a usb input. Most of the equipment being talked about (except for the Bad-Elf GPS) connect via bluetooth or creation of a wifi hotspot.

None other than the single docking port which is not really a usb input. Most of the equipment being talked about (except for the Bad-Elf GPS) connect via bluetooth or creation of a wifi hotspot.
And the Wifi hot spot would seem to preclude Verizon Wireless since that is usually the first thing to go OR the extra charge item (if there is a buck to be made).
So is your iPad ATT or Verizon? First gen or 2? And did you buy the iPad for the app or have it then found the app?

And the Wifi hot spot would seem to preclude Verizon Wireless since that is usually the first thing to go OR the extra charge item (if there is a buck to be made).
So is your iPad ATT or Verizon? First gen or 2? And did you buy the iPad for the app or have it then found the app?
The wifi hotspot in this case is created by the unit - like the Baron Services Mobile Link - not 3G from ATT or Verizon.

My iPad is neither ATT nor Verizon. I decided I didn't need the 3G capability so I opted for a WiFi only iPad. First generation, 64 Gb. I don't have a data subscription for my iPad with either ATT or Verizon. If I have access to WiFi, I have the capability of going online; if I don't have access to WiFi, I don't go online.

I get all my chart (and app) updates as part of my preflight. The night before I fly I make sure everything is up to date and update as needed. Morning, weather briefing before I leave or at an FBO with WiFi.

I haven't missed the lack of 3G capability (I bought my iPad in February). And, my purchase was most definitely about the app (ForeFlight in my case), not the iPad. I would not have bought an iPad otherwise.

The wifi hotspot in this case is created by the unit - like the Baron Services Mobile Link - not 3G from ATT or Verizon.

My iPad is neither ATT nor Verizon. I decided I didn't need the 3G capability so I opted for a WiFi only iPad. First generation, 64 Gb. I don't have a data subscription for my iPad with either ATT or Verizon. If I have access to WiFi, I have the capability of going online; if I don't have access to WiFi, I don't go online.

I get all my chart (and app) updates as part of my preflight. The night before I fly I make sure everything is up to date and update as needed. Morning, weather briefing before I leave or at an FBO with WiFi.

I haven't missed the lack of 3G capability (I bought my iPad in February). And, my purchase was most definitely about the app (ForeFlight in my case), not the iPad. I would not have bought an iPad otherwise.

Shhh.... Nobody tell verizon, i have my android rooted running Wireless Tether for a wifi hotspot, on the old plan i'm on, I have unlimited data. For a while there they would hijack your requests and send you over to one of their pages, simple config tweak and you can work around that. I can't upgrade to the latest/greatest Android release cause they fixed the hacks but still, free 3G Wireless hot spot anywhere with just a smart phone.

I won't if you won't (Barnacle in my case) ;)

...but only when I really need it. Hasn't been too often.

I hooked a wireless router up at my FBO, with their permission. I've only needed the tether once and that was in a federal gubmint building that as soon as I plugged into the wired network a sysadmin came running down the hall wanting to know who plugged an "unauthorized" laptop in. Instead of arguing, i just fired up (Barnacle at that time). I found it easier to route around Verizon's attempts to roadblock tethering with Wireless Tether.. Barnacle worked fine until they did that. YMMV.

+1 I bought my iPad 2 from Verizon, but didn't acivate service with them, and use it wi-fi only and it's great. I updated FF charts Sunday night watching football. ;) I don't have an additional GPS antenna, but so far it hasn't been an issue, and I won't add one until it becomes an issue.

Shhh.... Nobody tell verizon, i have my android rooted running Wireless Tether for a wifi hotspot, on the old plan i'm on, I have unlimited data. For a while there they would hijack your requests and send you over to one of their pages, simple config tweak and you can work around that. I can't upgrade to the latest/greatest Android release cause they fixed the hacks but still, free 3G Wireless hot spot anywhere with just a smart phone.

I just did something similar yesterday. Instead of using the hotspot , I linked the droid x via bluetooth and the ipad connected to the net that way .....:confused:

Back