iPad ???

I use WingX and have no complains about it, works very good. But I have it for the android, might be a little different for the ipad.
Never tried Fore Flight.

I'm in the opposite "camp". FF and haven't tried WingX. I think you'll run into a lot of folks the same way.

I believe both have trial versions. You might just load both and try both and pay for the one that suits you best.

I demoed both and went with FF. Great program. The only thing I don't like is that it does not have track north on the moving map

I demoed both and went with FF. Great program. The only thing I don't like is that it does not have track north on the moving map

WingX does not have a map at all, at least the android version does not. I had to download a separate program that would do that for me.

The maps on foreflight are all displayed north up. Do you mean that it does not track / pivot with the aircraft heading up?

North up is good for me because I am used to paper charts. I don't go rotating the chart to the direction the airplane is flying :) I understand everyone has their own preferences.

I have foreflight and it's worth every penny.

Fore Flight or Wing X Pro for my new iPad---which one would you experts pick?

I've tried both WingX and ForeFlight. WingX is the feature leader, but nowhere close to as polished as ForeFlight. The ForeFlight folks appear to be taking a more deliberate approach to feature addition, which I consider to be a good thing. ForeFlight feels more like an application designed for the iPad, with a high-quality presentation consistent with what you would expect from an iPad application.

The WingX website is an absolute disorganized disaster. It is somewhat difficult to determine exactly what features the program offers, or how it all works. A certain level of unintuitive, slightly disorganized presentation makes its way into the application itself.

From what I recall, I did have a quick and helpful response from WingX support. ForeFlight support is also fast and excellent.

JKG

WingX does not have a map at all, at least the android version does not. I had to download a separate program that would do that for me.

The iPad version of WingX is full-featured. The Android version I'd file under "Marketing fluff" so they can claim they support both platforms.

Nobody has mentioned Jepps' iPad apps. After looking at the reviews on iTurnes, I'm guessing that's because few pilots have tried them, and even fewer like them.

IMP the only real difference between WingX and FF is the UI.

These are two highly competitive, good quality products that seem to leapfrog each other periodically with a new feature. But ultimately, there are just so many "must haves" and "extra goodies" that can be added before the two settle down from the feature race. At that point (and to a large degree now) it's really about which UI you like better - which has the look, feel and flow that makes the most sense to you.

I've tried both and settled of FF. I have things I'd like to see but love the interface. But who knows? My subscription ends in February and I may ask Hilton for another demo so I can do another head-to-head comparison between the two.

Don't even try to compare the full-feature iOS version of an app with the limited-feature Android version of the same app. It's like comparing apples with orangutans (oranges would be too close).

That's NOT a slam on the Android OS (which I love). It's a current development reality.

I have and use both... the feature sets are similar. FF is a more polished company (with a much better website), but WingX has been adding features faster. WingX has an interface on the moving map that allows for two windows. FF allows you to overlay radar on the sectional. WingX has synthetic vision, but I question it's readiness as they won't even let subscribers have any demo time. FF is cheaper. Neither is perfect, but both are great. WingX Android version is not feature-complete (but that will change very soon).
PS. Naviator on Android is nice... $50, smaller feature set, but works nicely. Actually seems to have a better airport database.

Don't even try to compare the full-feature iOS version of an app with the limited-feature Android version of the same app. It's like comparing apples with orangutans (oranges would be too close).

That's NOT a slam on the Android OS (which I love). It's a current development reality.
The iPad version of WingX is full-featured. The Android version I'd file under "Marketing fluff" so they can claim they support both platforms.

Got it. Never had an ipad so I did know.

Nobody has mentioned Jepps' iPad apps. After looking at the reviews on iTurnes, I'm guessing that's because few pilots have tried them, and even fewer like them.

I'd bet they're decent since 121 and 135 operators are using them.

They're not meant to be anything other than chart replacement as far as I know, though. No other features.

(Can't say that for sure, but AvWeb just did a series of videos online on the App. I just haven't had time to watch them.)

The Jepp employees around here use them but they're probably getting a significant discount and I'm sure there's political and personal pressure to use your own app when you work for them. ;)

I have the Jepp app. It by and large sucks. It's just their old FlightDesk software warmed over. It does not have georeferenced plates. The enroutes are it's own goofy presentation that is unrelated from the IFR (even the Jepp IFR) enroutes or VFR sectionals.

The value of synthetic vision on a hand held device (with the accelerometers interal as opposed to fixed to the aircraft) escapes me.

check out skychartspro

I had the demo of fore flight but only needed the basics...

1 time $20 charge gets you charts- vfr, ifr, tac, approach plates, airport info/ diagrams, etc. It has some basic flight planning tools and shows you nearest airport.

If you want the options the other ones provide go for it.

I have Jepp FD, ForeFlight, and one WingX subscription on
six I-Pads for our corporate airplanes.
Jepp-expensive, no cutting edge stuff, takes forever to load
Manuals. You do get Jepp approach charts.
ForeFlight- great with new features all the time, tech support
Is all e-mail, not the best in my opinion
WingX- not real good in anything, harder to use

Two Sovereigns and a Encore+ and using Dual GPS for position.
Dave

Some very informative posts---Thanks.

I have the trial version of Wing X on the iPad now.

I think I'll see if Fore Flight has a trial version

Thanks All

Paul
N1431A
N83803
2AZ1

The maps on foreflight are all displayed north up. Do you mean that it does not track / pivot with the aircraft heading up?

Yes. I find it easier to track the course if the GPS aircraft is pointing up

I agree FF is worth every penny

I love my Foreflight. I currently run it on my IPhone and it is really nice to have such an unlimited amount of information in my pocket at all times.

I am pretty sure that Santa Claus is bringing an IPad down the chimney. A standard Foreflight subscription provides one license for the IPhone AND one license for the IPad included in the $75 per year fee.

Some very informative posts---Thanks.

I have the trial version of Wing X on the iPad now.

I think I'll see if Fore Flight has a trial version

Thanks All

Paul
N1431A
N83803
2AZ1

Yes, Foreflight has a 30 day free trial. It is basically 30 days free use. Download it, set it up and will run for 30 days free. Then when you buy the license it simply turns it on for a year without reloading or anything.

I ran mine free for 30 days and within about 2 days I knew that I wouldn't be able to live without it. That was before the latest version which support Sirrus XM weather. When that version became available it showed up in my app store and I downloaded it for free.

Not only is Foreflight a fabulous product, but the people behind the product are also fabulous. I spent 20 years in the HMI software industry, some of that time doing tech support. I KNOW good tech support when I see it. Foreflight does NOT have good tech support. They have nothing short of FABULOUS tech support.

Great product. Take advantage of the 30 day free trial and see what you think.

Doc

I think foreflight has good tech support as well. The only time I e-mailed them a question I got a response that actually answered my question - within 2 hours.

I think foreflight has good tech support as well. The only time I e-mailed them a question I got a response that actually answered my question - within 2 hours.
In addition to the primary team, FF frequently recruits actual pilots to be part of the support team. Check their blog for past entries of the recruiting announcement. Having techies who actually use the software in a flying environment is something that gains a positive review from me.

Re: iPad ??? (Terrain not important?)

When I got my iPad I checked with my local avionics shop about software. The tech I spoke with has both Wing-X and Foreflight on his multiple iPads.

I tried both programs but went with Wing-X because where I live (Utah) there are lots of mountains and flying over mountains at night I find it handy to know where those mountains are. :)

As far as I can tell Wing-X has terrain (something I learned to appreciate before I got the iPad and was flying with an Garmin 560) but FF does not.

Yet reading the posts here and elsewhere it looks like FF is used by more pilots.

So now I'm wondering, does FF have terrain or do most pilots feel safe flying without it?

Clear skies,

patrick

In addition to the primary team, FF frequently recruits actual pilots to be part of the support team. Check their blog for past entries of the recruiting announcement. Having techies who actually use the software in a flying environment is something that gains a positive review from me.

Being a pilot is a requirement for doing tech support for them. I talked to them about it. They are a great bunch of people.

Re: iPad ??? (Terrain not important?)

When I got my iPad I checked with my local avionics shop about software. The tech I spoke with has both Wing-X and Foreflight on his multiple iPads.

I tried both programs but went with Wing-X because where I live (Utah) there are lots of mountains and flying over mountains at night I find it handy to know where those mountains are. :)

As far as I can tell Wing-X has terrain (something I learned to appreciate before I got the iPad and was flying with an Garmin 560) but FF does not.

Yet reading the posts here and elsewhere it looks like FF is used by more pilots.

So now I'm wondering, does FF have terrain or do most pilots feel safe flying without it?

Clear skies,

patrick

The way FF keep putting out upgrades free to existing subscribers, it would not surprise me at all to see terrain as a future feature.

I have downloaded two significant upgrades for free in the last few months. 4.2 added Sirrus weather capability and 4.3 which I downloaded yesterday adds a distance measuring feature.

They DO NOT rest on their laurels. They are constantly improving and adding to the product.

Having spent 20 years in the HMI Software Industry, I feel that I can spot a good software company when I see one, and they definitely fill the bill.

Doc

What kind of data package do you have to get in order for your IPAD to stay connected in the plane? Would you mind sharing about how much that runs you per month?

What kind of data package do you have to get in order for your IPAD to stay connected in the plane? Would you mind sharing about how much that runs you per month?

I don't run the IPAD data link in the plane. Both apps allow you to store the maps, etc... in the iPad memory.

Oh so it's not a moving map? I was under the impression it was.

Ok. I'm not trying to be a smart ass honestly....so when they say moving map they mean moving when you manually scroll it on the device...with FF anyway.

Ok. I'm not trying to be a smart ass honestly....so when they say moving map they mean moving when you manually scroll it on the device...with FF anyway.
If you're thinking the airplane icon stays stationary in the center of the screen and the map moves under it, no. It's the opposit where the map is stationary and the airplane (or dot) moves. When you get near the edge, you move everything over in the direction needed.

The "data" is GPS derived information that is constantly being updated in flight. The only data being acquired during flight is positional data needed to display the aircraft position on the maps. The maps themselves are stored on the IPad.

The value of synthetic vision on a hand held device (with the accelerometers interal as opposed to fixed to the aircraft) escapes me.

But WingX Pro does allow for an external ADHRS unit that costs less than 1AMU and is affixed to the plane. It communicates wirelessly with the iPad.

The "data" is GPS derived information that is constantly being updated in flight. The only data being acquired during flight is positional data needed to display the aircraft position on the maps. The maps themselves are stored on the IPad.

Well, that is some of the data. These days, however, they can take XM Weather, ADS-B IN, and ADHRS, depending on the software selected. But yes, the piece at has been along the longest is GPS signal, and it locates the plane position on charts that were previously downloaded to the unit via wireless.

OK, just cracked the seal on my new iPad, have the ForeFlight demo, haven't flied it yet.No terrain data is a bummer, WingX Looks clunky. Couple of questions.

- is the Extra 75 bucks worth it for the georeferenced plates? IR Student, hope to have my IR Rating ~6 months
- Do I really have to scroll the sectional/enroute chart by hand? It can't figure out where I am and "move the map" to keep me in the center of the screen?

OK, just cracked the seal on my new iPad, have the ForeFlight demo, haven't flied it yet.No terrain data is a bummer, WingX Looks clunky. Couple of questions.

- is the Extra 75 bucks worth it for the georeferenced plates? IR Student, hope to have my IR Rating ~6 months
- Do I really have to scroll the sectional/enroute chart by hand? It can't figure out where I am and "move the map" to keep me in the center of the screen?

I can't speak to the georeference feature as I have not purchased it (yet).

However, regarding having to manually scroll the map, I run Wing-X and the symbol of the plane stays put and the map moves under it. I *thought* it was the same with FF but we'll have to wait for a FF user to say for sure.

With Wing-X the user is given the option of keeping the plane in the center of the chart or moving it so there is always more airspace in front of the plane than behind.

BTW, I really don't find Wing-X to be clunky. I think it works well. My biggest gripe is that the current version will not allow "Track Up" but Hilton says that feature is coming. Plus it's got terrain while apparently FF does not and as I posted before, fling at night it's nice to be able to "see" where the cumulogranite clouds are. :)

Clear skies,

patrick

No. If you keep own ship centered, your airplane stays centered and the map automatically moves behind it. Unless you touch the screen; then you have to recenter with that nice blue dot they give you for the purpose. (Starting to sound like, "It's just a toy; I don't have to learn how it works!" syndrome) :D

If you're thinking the airplane icon stays stationary in the center of the screen and the map moves under it, no. It's the opposit where the map is stationary and the airplane (or dot) moves. When you get near the edge, you move everything over in the direction needed.

Not completely true. On Sectionals, Enroute IFR, Street maps, "big" charts you can lock the aircraft in the center with the GPS center button.

On Approach plates, Taxiway charts, "small" stuff the airplane moves on the chart if you've paid for the add on georeferenced Approach plates.

Back