Ipad users.. Quick question

Addicted2climbing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Addicted2climbing
Hello All,

I am designing an Ipad Kneeboard that is a departure of what is out there already. I have noticed that others have a rotation feature where the display can rotate from Portrait to Landscape. Also a tilt feature. I can design both in, but the addition of the rotation makes it much more difficult to incorporate with the tilt design I have already. So my question is to those of you using them, do you tend to view it in Portrait or Landscape more? Is the rotation to landscape a worthwhile added feature if it was at the expense of tilt? Ie... I just design in one or the other? Or do I start over and figure a way to do both?

Thanks,

Marc

I tend to use mine in the portrait mode more than landscape. Approach plates are easier to view. Not sure I have a preference beyond that. If I were to choose, I think I would opt for tilt over landscape.

Hello All,

I am designing an Ipad Kneeboard that is a departure of what is out there already. I have noticed that others have a rotation feature where the display can rotate from Portrait to Landscape. Also a tilt feature. I can design both in, but the addition of the rotation makes it much more difficult to incorporate with the tilt design I have already. So my question is to those of you using them, do you tend to view it in Portrait or Landscape more? Is the rotation to landscape a worthwhile added feature if it was at the expense of tilt? Ie... I just design in one or the other? Or do I start over and figure a way to do both?

Thanks,

Marc
Most folks (myself included) use the iPad in portrait mode while flying and utilize the lock screen feature so that the thing isn't constantly shifting back and forth on you in flight - an absolute must if you mount the iPad on the yoke.

I would use it in portrait, except my sunglasses are polarized and the iPad cannot be viewed in portrait with them. I have to change to landscape when flying with my sunglasses on.

Portrait. Get non-polarized glasses for flying. I use kneedock, it was $30 and works great.

...and give up my RayBan Aviators....you must be joking right?:rofl:

Portrait. Get non-polarized glasses for flying. I use kneedock, it was $30 and works great.

After doing an unintended slow-roll about 6 mos ago, I now tend to bring the iPad up to my eye level instead of looking down. Is it just something I have to get used to (using a kneeboard).

I use portrait mode in screen lock only. Easier to deal with for me.

After doing an unintended slow-roll about 6 mos ago, I now tend to bring the iPad up to my eye level instead of looking down. Is it just something I have to get used to (using a kneeboard).

I started my Instrument training with the iPad on my knee and that didn't work out so well. I got a yoke mount so I just have to glance down to find anything I want.

But so many others use kneeboards. I guess I was also trying to be one of the cool kids.

But so many others use kneeboards. I guess I was also trying to be one of the cool kids.

I do what works for me. :wink2: If I'm flying and approach and my CSR causes me to have to glance at the approach plate to check something then I like having in front of my face. :D

Hello All,

Thanks for the great replies. I never even considered issues with polarized glasses. I will have to look into that. It seems that there are a few who do prefer landscape, so I think I will take the time to add it is as well.

Thanks for all the great info...

Marc

I do what works for me. :wink2: If I'm flying and approach and my CSR causes me to have to glance at the approach plate to check something then I like having in front of my face. :D

I find that the kneedock, which tilts the pad up a bit and secures it to your knee in portrait, is good for viewing plates. I thought about yoke mounting it but it got in the way just a bit of the 6 pack, not bad, just a little distracting. If it was 1" smaller, i'd yoke mount it in a heartbeat.

I held mine agianst the yoke on the 172N I rent and it is such a tight fit that it would get in the way of my hands. I figured then I would just go the kneeboard route. I looked online at the ones available and did not see exactly what I was looking for so I am making my own.

Marc

I held mine agianst the yoke on the 172N I rent and it is such a tight fit that it would get in the way of my hands. I figured then I would just go the kneeboard route. I looked online at the ones available and did not see exactly what I was looking for so I am making my own.

Marc

What exactly were you looking for that you did not see?

David

What exactly were you looking for that you did not see?

David

Hey David,

Well I cant say just yet, as if this works I may choose to sell them. I should have the design done in a few weeks or so. I was just torn between adding the rotation or not as I figured it was worhtwhile to add, but it complicated things with other aspects of the design I already had in place.

Marc

...and give up my RayBan Aviators....you must be joking right?:rofl:
I got new glasses this week. Mentioned I was a pilot and asked about polarization for my Transition lenses. The optician looked at me and said, "no. Don't you know you won't be able to read the instruments?"

Apparently, a FedEx pilot came in one day to complain about having to abort a takeoff because he couldn't see. Thought it was a bad persceiption; turned out it was the polarized lenses.

So my question is to those of you using them, do you tend to view it in Portrait or Landscape more?

Both. It's why I don't have an iPad kneeboard mount. Please do a good job and create something that I can strap to my left knee and twirl the iPad around on, that doesn't stick up so much that I can't hold the yoke against the wind while I'm taxiing.

- jkw (my 7th grade English teacher would punish me for the last sentence.)

One feature, and I have no idea how you would design it, is to have it automatically "roll" off your leg if it's about to be crushed by the yoke. We're supposed to do "controls free and clear" as part of the checklist, and I sometimes find that the yoke comes into contact with the iPad screen if it's on a kneepad. I move the screen and all is well, but it's always possible that the gremlins will strike, the screen will get moved in flight, and that's the one flight where I NEED full range of motion on the controls.

One feature, and I have no idea how you would design it, is to have it automatically "roll" off your leg if it's about to be crushed by the yoke. We're supposed to do "controls free and clear" as part of the checklist, and I sometimes find that the yoke comes into contact with the iPad screen if it's on a kneepad. I move the screen and all is well, but it's always possible that the gremlins will strike, the screen will get moved in flight, and that's the one flight where I NEED full range of motion on the controls.

This works.......

attachment.php

:D:D

Attachments

• ipadonyoke.png
    ipadonyoke.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
I use it in portrait with the rotation lock on upside down so the power connector is closes to the power jack

I don't need a kneeboard. I use a rubber cover that keeps it from sliding.

I've had some fairly bad turbulence, and not had a problem with it flying about the cockpit.

I had mine in the lap for awhile, I only experienced light turbulence - maybe bordering on moderate once or twice and it never went around the cockpit. The ipad had a grippy cover and it never slid around, though it was difficult to balance and use sometimes, esp in turbulence.

The $30 kneedock I bought is awesome. Money well spent. When your ipad is your chart source, A/FD, notepad, its great to have it securely strapped to your leg. Also, I don't have autopilot, so I need that ipad to be as handy and easy to use as possible.

The Garmin app requires it in Portrait mode to get all the features. They still have a 30 day trial if you want to check it out. Lets see a prototype.

Back