ipad use and flying

I have Foreflight on my IPhone and IPad. The way I use them, the IPhone is probably more useful. It's always in my pocket and if I am curious about a particular flight or route, or just want to see the current weather and TAF's, it's always at hand.

In the cockpit I use the IPad, but have a chart at the ready along with a large post it note with VOR and CTAF frequencies, TPA's, field altitudes, runway orientations and such written for the airports of destination and along the way.

As I get further into my IR training I plan on printing approach plates appropriate for my flight since the battery can't run down on the sheet of paper.

Just call me an old worry wart!

...and speaking of the cost of these apps, those of you with iPads might want to look at SkyCharts.

"For just $19.95, you get access to the full US database of charts and procedures, in 9 geographic regions, each of which requires less than 1GB of memory to store, updated periodically, for a full year. Annual renewals are just $19.95."
http://www.skycharts.net/?page_id=861

Lots of choices out there...

Jack

Expect that $19.95 fee to go up come Summer. The FAA has announced that they will no longer be supplying electronic charts for free. I fully expect that this will effect prices for your chart service, Foreflight and any other software product or service that involves electronic charts.

If they would just make a matte finish for the screen there wouldn't be that problem. I have never liked glossy screens and always opt for the matte if they have one. Every computer I have ever bought has a matte screen on it. I have a Macbook Pro and it has a matte screen, so Apple does make them, even though Apple doesn't offer it on the iPad. They now call it 'anti-glare' and charge extra for it I think, when it didn't use to cost anything.

The average use for an IPAD isn't aviation , or use in direct sunlight. My guess is that they produced them with the generic end user in mind.

"Expect that $19.95 fee to go up come Summer."

Correction. Expect ALL chart fees to go up, altho' no one yet knows if it will be in the summer. NavAero obviously had to go back to Step 1 and reconsider their approach. So for now, each provider's data update fee is a valid measure of its cost relative to all its competitors fees.

Jack

How can I view docs on a hard drive or thumb drive with my I pad! I don't want to down load or convert them. My hard drive crashed on my Windows laptop and I'd like to view files on my backup hard drive.
Also, is there a spreadsheet program that's good on I pad? I love Foreflight on here, but am very disappointed with the difficulty of moving files between my windows machine and IPad

Thanks,

Dave

How can I view docs on a hard drive or thumb drive with my I pad! I don't want to down load or convert them. My hard drive crashed on my Windows laptop and I'd like to view files on my backup hard drive.
Also, is there a spreadsheet program that's good on I pad? I love Foreflight on here, but am very disappointed with the difficulty of moving files between my windows machine and IPad

I use Numbers for spreadsheet work on the ipad. It's serviceable but slow.

Vewing files without transferring is difficult. Maybe it's possible using the camera connection kit? I dunno.

Can't you use Dropbox to transfer files for viewing? I know I do that between computers and I'm pretty sure there is an iPad app.

How can I view docs on a hard drive or thumb drive with my I pad! I don't want to down load or convert them. My hard drive crashed on my Windows laptop and I'd like to view files on my backup hard drive. I love Foreflight on here, but am very disappointed with the difficulty of moving files between my windows machine and IPad

Thanks,

Dave

Apple no care about limitations of MS - induced problems ;) Apple more care about future promise of cloud computing than today's practical realities.

All these boards with all the same people posting to each other.
That's way too weird. Whatever happened to doing the hangar flying in the hangar or at the bar?

It's a brave new world I guess.

They locked the hangar behind a card-reader and a fence to save us from terrorists. :(

As far as the bar, let's go. ;)

They locked the hangar behind a card-reader and a fence to save us from terrorists. :(

As far as the bar, let's go. ;)

Nice Tapatalk. Start replying in one thread, save a Draft, reply later to another thread, don't track which thread the Draft was for. Retarded software.

Can't you use Dropbox to transfer files for viewing? I know I do that between computers and I'm pretty sure there is an iPad app.

Dave, this. :yeahthat:

Load Dropbox on your PC, and your iPad.

Add GoodReader to open the various file types.

Done.

Dave, this. :yeahthat:

Load Dropbox on your PC, and your iPad.

Add GoodReader to open the various file types.

Done.

Only helps if you didn't fry your PC and want to access your files directly from peripheral memory as Dave does.

Though in Apple's defense this really goes beyond what the tablet concept originally contemplated IMO. Cold comfort to us ipad users who stare wantingly at Android tablets with the enticingly-obvious USB port >right there<.

Hmm. Using a tablet as a PC recovery device? Interesting concept.

Quite a bit underpowered, CPU-wise, for that much data-crunching and wickedly I/O bound. Conceptually, anyway... since no one's doing it (yet).

If you are going to be using the ipad heavily in flight in the winter, buy yourself a cheap set of "touchscreen" gloves (~$20) that have conductive fingertips. Remember that the touchscreen wont work with leather gloves!

Back