iPad - Rotation Lock and Checklist Tool

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I operate my iPad with apps top toward the power connector (usually considered upside down for an iPad).

I do this so the power cord is toward the power connector on the instrument panel. Less cord tangle.

Foreflight operates this way just fine as do most of the apps.

The checklist tool does not rotate like any of the other apps. Anybody found a way to rotate the checklist tool?

I have never needed to plug mine in during flight, BT - have you tried just running off battery? Mine will go many hours without ext power.

Can't speak to the checklist tool or app your using (you didn't say which one) but the list I made as described in my "BYOC" thread looks okay in landscape mode. I need to zoom in a bit, but that still works. And if I wanted, I could make an additional version designed for a landscape view.

Importing your checklist into FF might be a good solution for you.

And like Dave mentioned, my iPad2 with 3G has enough battery life for over 4hrs of continuous use.

He's talking about Foreflight's other product, the checklist tool... That's been neglected since it was released and isn't coded to rotate at all. Well documented complaint. They should fix it or kill it, really.

It's broken. It came out when checklist Apps were "hot" and before Foreflight itself. There's better options. Usually in the form of laminated paper. ;)

Is it an iPhone app? Most iPhone apps do not rotate.

Might be that old, yeah. From the prehistoric, pre-iPad era perhaps. ;)

BT - have you tried just running off battery? Mine will go many hours without ext power.
Actually, no I haven't. I took a very conservative approach to cutting over to Foreflight.

My flight instructor (I'm working on my Commercial) also told me about some negative experiences he's had with someone he flies with that was managing flagging battery power.

So, when I cut over:

I bought an iPad (not 3G) and an ITouch for redundancy. It's small, but holds all the same data, hopefully useful in a clutch and for planning.

I practiced flying instrument approaches and screen navigation using MS Flight Sim to ensure I'd know how to navigate iPad screens. My Instrument rating is new and staying current is a challenge. I was very concerned about adding more digital complexity.

I pack a 2-1 power cord to power my Aera 510 and my iPad.

I had the Aera already and noticed that Foreflight will draw a great magenta line at altitudes that might put you under a 1000 ft of granite.

The Aera 510 will enable XM weather, and WASS Nav, positioning (uncertified), and Terrain Warning (uncertified). I rent, I like the combination.

I limit my iPad use to charts only.

I try to only plug in after radio master is on, and unplug before turning the radio master is off.

I know I could probably be a little looser about things. This is just how my brain works when I expand my own envelope.

Last edited:
Is it an iPhone app? Most iPhone apps do not rotate.
iPhone apps CAN rotate. It is just an additional PITA for the developer to implement and test the flag so it is often neglected.

... and I am not sure if they can rotate upside down... I've never tried that ...

Actually, no I haven't. I took a very conservative approach to cutting over to Foreflight.
Give it a try. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to flying also. Like you, I try to use it like a chart. That means that, even with FF's capability to keep it on all the time, I will manually darken unless I am actively using it for something.

I plan flights to leave at least an hour of fuel upon landing based on the wort cruise burn rate.

My iPad (1st generation) will do far more than that. Even using an external bluetooth GPS it's better than 8 hours - with FF on all the time.

Back