IPAD OS5 Safety ALERT

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
See these articles and links for details, but if you are using an Ipad and are nearing it's full capacity, you will want to read this as the new OS5 allows the ipad to delete files at it's discretion if it is running low on space. :eek:

FLYING MAG ARTICLE

FOREFLIGHT BLOG

Good blog entry by the FF team; the preflight routine is especially relevant, regardless of how much data you have on your iPad, if you're planning on using it as your primary chart source in flight.

Hoo boy. Aside from the potential safety danger, I predict that a lot of folks will find this out the hard way when pictures or other one-of-a-kind documents get deleted.

Some of us really don't want to use iCloud - preferring to store/back-up things on our own systems. Wonder if part of Apple's thinking is to "encourage" folks to use their cloud service, removing the ability to choose from the user.

Hoo boy. Aside from the potential safety danger, I predict that a lot of folks will find this out the hard way when pictures or other one-of-a-kind documents get deleted.

Some of us really don't want to use iCloud - preferring to store/back-up things on our own systems. Wonder if part of Apple's thinking is to "encourage" folks to use their cloud service, removing the ability to choose from the user.

Nah extortion is more a Microsoft thing.. at least it was..

<---<^>--->

That won't be an issue. That sort of data isn't deleted.

Apple states that data that the application can redownload and populate on its own should be saved in the caches directory. That directory is then not backed up to iCloud and iOS can delete anything in there as it sees fit. In the past they never deleted anything in there.

Now they're starting to delete things in the caches directory to free up space. This is not user generated data - this is data the app downloaded.

They're also cracking down on developers whom are placing large quantities of data into the "documents" directory which is backed up.

I don't think Apple really understood the consequences of their storage policies and the cleanup of those directories. I'm sure this will be corrected.

That won't be an issue. That sort of data isn't deleted.

Apple states that data that the application can redownload and populate on its own should be saved in the caches directory. That directory is then not backed up to iCloud and iOS can delete anything in there as it sees fit. In the past they never deleted anything in there.

Now they're starting to delete things in the caches directory to free up space. This is not user generated data - this is data the app downloaded.

They're also cracking down on developers whom are placing large quantities of data into the "documents" directory which is backed up.

Where do photos imported through the CCK get stored? How about photos or documents downloaded from, say, my NAS?

Why should Apple care where data is placed? Shouldn't that be in the purvue of the app? As in, shouldn't the app/user decide what should be backed up?

I don't think Apple really understood the consequences of their storage policies and the cleanup of those directories. I'm sure this will be corrected.

I'd bet you're correct. Too bad that they tend to want to "dictate" how users shall use the devices, rather than listening to how users want to use the devices. There IS a difference.

Where do photos imported through the CCK get stored? How about photos or documents downloaded from, say, my NAS?

Why should Apple care where data is placed? Shouldn't that be in the purvue of the app? As in, shouldn't the app/user decide what should be backed up?
What is the CCK?

Photos or documents downloaded from your NAS into an application would be stored in a Documents directory in the App you used. That wouldn't be touched. That is user content.

I'd bet you're correct. Too bad that they tend to want to "dictate" how users shall use the devices, rather than listening to how users want to use the devices. There IS a difference.
To an extent. They're mostly dictating to developers how developers should create their apps..There is some benefit to that..Some negative as well.

This whole storage mess was basically because peoples backups were becoming insanely bloated and unmanageable because apps were storing gigabytes worth of data that they could easily regenerate.

So in general is there any pressing need to go to iOS 5? (I see a few apps won't update without it - not too alarming as yet.)
Also, is there any way to revert to the previous os?

Apparently Apple is going to fix this for the class of documents in question (those that are downloaded but not backed up to the "cloud'). I suspect FF and WingX will have to make a change to make use of it.

The problem with not upgrading to iOS5 is that Apple is aboslutely crappy (worse than Microsoft) on backwards compatibility. I've already got features (like updating applications directly from the pad/phone) that have STOPPED working because they made the feature not compatible with the iOS4.

Is os5 a free install or a buy program? I don't see it anywhere.
Free install.. Plug into iTunes and it'll upgrade it for you.

Nice thing is that after iOS5 you'll be able to upgrade iOS directly on the device without itunes.

Dang, didn't know it would remove every app I had including FF. Good thing I picked a quiet time to put on iOS 5! Be warned.
Even the FF databases were cleaned off.
At least it remembered I bought them, not being double charged.

Dang, didn't know it would remove every app I had including FF. Good thing I picked a quiet time to put on iOS 5! Be warned.

In iOS5 you can see all you purchased apps. On iPad it is new item on buttom of AppStore and on iPhone on "Updates" screen of AppStore. :rolleyes:

In iOS5 you can see all you purchased apps. On iPad it is new item on buttom of AppStore and on iPhone on "Updates" screen of AppStore. :rolleyes:

Too bad its not working. Site probably overwhelmed with traffic. I have tried it multiple times this evening, no joy. Just the spinning dashes, "Loading" icon.

Too bad its not working. Site probably overwhelmed with traffic. I have tried it multiple times this evening, no joy. Just the spinning dashes, "Loading" icon.
Try to kill AppStore application and launch it again - press Home button, double prass Home, press and hold AppStore icon in task bar at the buttom of the screen and tap on "x" on AppStore icon in taskbar. Please post screenshot if it happen again after relaunching AppStore. I don't believe this is problem with traffic.

Ya know, I have not seen one word of this issue with a Garmin...

denny-o

The iOS version with the fix loaded over-the-air for me just fine on Friday. First OTA upgrade for me so far. Went without a hitch.

Now to wait for the App writers to catch up and utilize the new persistent data feature...

I'm fairly sure it warns you to back things up. If you use iTunes to do everything, the process should be relatively painless.

Back