ipad or ipad mini?

askulte

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Airmet Sierra
I have an Ipad1 with Foreflight, and love it. It's getting long in the tooth, and slow responding even after closing programs & a restart, so I'm considering upgrading in the fall when the new models come out. The question is - full size or mini?

I keep my ipad in the lap right, and with the brushed fabric case, it doesn't slide off, so that works well. It's nice having the larger screen for the map, IAP's (IFR student with about 10 hrs to go, and written is done!), but it seems like a yoke mount to stop looking down would be great. I can fit the full size between the yoke horns in our Cessna 172K, but haven't tried a mount yet.

Do you guys with the mini-sized tablets find the size is enough to read plates without zooming? It'd be nice to save $140 too... Anyone move from full size to mini, or vs versus?

BTW - I searched and couldn't find a similar thread...

Thanks!

I tried both, and the hands down winner was the Mini. The full size is too big...cumbersome, and hard to mount anywhere in the cockpit (at least in a 172). On my knee...at least for me...it was heavy / warm to the point of being distracting.

I now have a yoke mount for my mini. I attach it to the passenger's yoke so it doesn't distract me on my yoke. Passengers think it's cool, and it's there whenever I need it.

Just my 2 cents...

I've seen only one trainee with a Mini, but it seemed to work fine for him, and I'm pretty much sold on one when my iPad1 becomes obsolescent.

It really depends if you use it exclusively for flying or not. For me, I use it far more outside of flying, so the full-size is more practical. Altho, I really would like the mini for flying, I just can't justify the cost of another one.

I use an iPad2 with FF and of course love it. I actually built a center console for an O2 tank and for a RAM mount to hold the iPad.
RV10 Center Console

It worked on a knee pad but now it's just a piece of cake.

The iPad2 still has a large footprint but my aging eyes need it. I still find myself stooping and moving my head around to read the thing, even with the easy zooming functions. That's probably not an issue for you.

My iPhone is backup.

Mini is great for a yoke mount. Or you can take the yoke mount and put it in a cub.

DSC00601.jpg

Do you guys with the mini-sized tablets find the size is enough to read plates without zooming?
I ditched a full-sized iPad 2 in favor of a Nexus 7. Actually, the plates are bigger and easier to read on the N7 because I don't have to keep it down on my knee. I mount the N7 using a RAM suction-cup either at the corner of the windshield or on the side window. (http://www.rammount.com/products/suctioncups.htm) In those positions it is almost a matter of keeping it from being too close. Readability is excellent.

I prefer this to yoke mounting because the tablet doesn't block my view of anything on the panel --- especially important on something like an Arrow where the MP ends up behind the tablet or some Cessnas where all the switches hide down there.

It really depends if you use it exclusively for flying or not. For me, I use it far more outside of flying, so the full-size is more practical.
Agreed. The N7 is great for traveling, checking email in a hotel room, etc. but it takes a lot of zooming and un-zooming to do much with web pages. At home, I use a Windows tablet when reading the morning news over coffee. The N7 is sitting right there too, but I never choose that one.

(For anyone interested in the RAM approach, I'd suggest that you avoid the heavy "B" hardware with the 1" ball in favor of the smaller and less advertised "A" hardware. The "A" hardware is entirely adequate to hold an N7 or iPad mini and is a lot less bulky.)

mini has my vote

I have my second full-size iPad. I personally like the larger size for readability. I'd rather have a full-size with split screen capability than a mini.

Mini - 'found it was just more manageable in cockpit... but still large enough for these aging eyes. Now if they could just make it sun-readable and no reflections. Heat can be a problem, too.

I have a yoke mount for my mini that fits both planes, (310Q and 172) I run the approaches through the GTN 750 and follow along on the geo-referenced plates in FF. Love the redundancy.

Mini. I use mine outside of the cockpit daily too.

Mini. Between flying and work, I'm constantly using it for something. Definitely go with the yoke mount. I found the kneeboard (app strap) to be too far out of the way for effective use during instrument flying.

If there are any "bean counters" here, the current count is:
Mini - 10; at least 4 with a yoke mount
iPad 1/2 - 3; 1 w/console mount
Nexus - 1; yoke mount

I have been trying to decide what to have as a backup. My iPad 2 seems to be a little large but haven't found an acceptable yoke mount for my Aeronca. I'll have to get my hands on a Mini to try out but, It certainly looks that way.

Dale

Until you've actually used both in the cockpit, it's not so easy to recognize the difference. I started in the cockpit with the original iPad, then went to iPad 3, then to iPad Mini. And the Mini is by far the best choice of the bunch. Much lighter, thinner, easier to hold, and a much better size for the typical GA mission. Seriously, for in-airplane use there's no way I'd consider going back to the full-sized one (which is sitting around here somewhere with a long-dead battery).

Great discussion - Thanks guys! The mini + yokemount seems like the way to go. I'll definitely try to borrow one to try. Next question - Do I scratch the itch now on a 32mb refurb wifi+cellular, or wait for the fall for the next version? :)

Andris

Until you've actually used both in the cockpit, it's not so easy to recognize the difference. I started in the cockpit with the original iPad, then went to iPad 3, then to iPad Mini. And the Mini is by far the best choice of the bunch. Much lighter, thinner, easier to hold, and a much better size for the typical GA mission. Seriously, for in-airplane use there's no way I'd consider going back to the full-sized one (which is sitting around here somewhere with a long-dead battery).
I have the 2.

Is the 3's enhanced graphics a difference maker using FF?

Does the mini have any graphic resolution or brightness advantage over a 2? Or is all form factor (which is a winner)?

Bill "very happy with the pizza pan 2 once tamed with a good mount" Watson

Great discussion - Thanks guys! The mini + yokemount seems like the way to go. I'll definitely try to borrow one to try. Next question - Do I scratch the itch now on a 32mb refurb wifi+cellular, or wait for the fall for the next version? :)

Andris

Good choice, but wait a little while, the mini with retina is just around the corner. I do miss the 3's display but not its size.

I use the mini as I can use polarized sunglasses with it.

The Ipad uses polarized glass and you loose the video when it is turned 90 degrees.

That is the only reason I bought it over the ipad. I have not flown with it yet.

I use the mini as I can use polarized sunglasses with it.

The Ipad uses polarized glass and you loose the video when it is turned 90 degrees.

Which, for all of us who wear polarized glasses, really is a pretty huge deal when it comes time actually used the thing. Hadn't thought of that one - good point!

Back