iPad not charging

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
so, I'm driving back out to Ohio today and I'm both streaming music and using google maps for navigation on my iPad.

Somewhere near Dayton my iPad pops up a low battery alert.

Hmmm...it's plugged into the charger. I disconnect and reconnect everything but still no joy.

I change sync cables and still no joy. Hmmm...must be the charger...

so I let it go to sleep.

I got to my room and it won't charge on the AC charger either.

So I reboot it and all is good.

It's never done this before....nor had either of my previous two iPads.

It's an iPad Air1 that was, until recently, running 8.2. I just updated to. 9.3.2 late last week because of the foreflight announcement. I wonder if this is a 9.3.2 glitch??

I had this issue recently. Went to Apple Store and they basically cleaned out some dirt from the socket and problem fixed. They used a small paper clip

Factory Apple Lightning cable? We've had iffy results with some off-brands, though some have worked fine.

One is OEM and one was aftermarket. As outlined in my original post, I tried both, no joy.

It definitely was not the cable or the "socket". It was laying on my desk plugged up, I rebooted. It wasn't charging before reboot...and was after. No connections were manipulated in any way. The iPad sat stationary during the reboot and wasn't moved or jostled.

I had even tried the OEM brick charger and sync cable before rebooting when back at my room, no joy. My normal AC charger is an aftermarket two port 2.1A/1.0A brick.

The thing we tend to forget in these everything is electronically controlled toys, is that charging is also controlled.
Simply applying power does not mean the transistors controlling the battery charge will connect that power to the battery.
(you probably forgot to say 'mother may I')
A glitch in the programming and you are sol.

TIm - you might be starting to have battery issues. My work iPhone started acting funny - not charging - popping up messages that it was not connected to an OEM charger. I have a personal iPhone and would plug it into the same setup with no issues.
The work iPhone would say it is down to 10% battery, I would reboot it and it would restart and show more than than 50% battery left. It would also get hot. I finally got a new phone. It is working fine off of all the same charging cables.

I've experienced very sporadic charging issues with my iPad 3, but I don't have enough evidence to prove that a particular iOS version is to blame.

Usually, the problems appeared while charging from my Hubbell USB receptacle, but would go away when using the Apple charger. However, recently I've had no issue with the Hubbell charger. I'm running iOS 9.3.2 at this point.

JKG

I find that rebooting solves all kinds of glitches:)

Things like not charging, hanging up in Safari, whatever. I had very few problems with my iThingys but almost all of them cured by reboot. One of the Apple techs I called when my iPad Air wouldn't start told me that unless you shut down completely once in while, it will act dead.

Cheers

I had this issue recently. Went to Apple Store and they basically cleaned out some dirt from the socket and problem fixed. They used a small paper clip
This has happened to both my iPad and my iPhone. I cleaned it out with a needle. My iPhone had a bunch of lint. The iPad had some stuff, but I am not sure what, but it only took a few seconds to clean it out.

TIm - you might be starting to have battery issues. My work iPhone started acting funny - not charging - popping up messages that it was not connected to an OEM charger. I have a personal iPhone and would plug it into the same setup with no issues.

Hmmm...I have been getting a massage, randomly, no rhyme or reason: "unsupported device" (or some such).

You may be onto something.

Hmmm...I have been getting a massage, randomly, no rhyme or reason: "unsupported device" (or some such).

You may be onto something.

I've found that getting a massage for no particular reason other than wanting one is one of the best reasons of all.

I've had problems with my devices not charging before... 2 really simple fixes that seem to work 99% of the time for me.

1. Get a toothpick or some other small pointy thing and clean out the socket. My iphone charge port seems to frequently get plugged up with pocket fuzz... quick cleaning with a toothpick takes care of that.

2. Pull out the cable, flip it over, reinsert it. Yeah lighting cables are supposed to work either way but for some reason sometimes, especially with off-brand cables, they don't.

I agree to some here that in some point an iPad is not charging could be due to a faulty cable that you use.

ipads will sometimes do that. they have a charge control circuit in that shuts off the charge to protect the device. sometimes that circuit just needs to be reset. a hard shutdown and reset is a good idea for them every now and then.

bob

They did the same to mine when that problem occur.

Back