Ipad mount - seat rail

It looks like an interesting idea, if it actually works. But I think I would be grabbing it and trying to shift gears with it.

I wonder if they have one for the Bo. Not much info on the page.

Pricey little critter...

I installed that Ram Mount arm with a different mount in my neighbors truck for her Android phone driving down the road. Just with a phone in a truck the thing shakes like a bobble head in an earthquake...can't imagine how bad that thing would be with an iPad in a 182!

Mount is solid but arm is not rigid enough to be practical unless you are stationary. Recommend other solution.

I used a similar ram mount. It had excessive vibration/shake so I went with a different approach.

Well vibration and shake says it all. Will look at other options.

Why not get a good window suction mount and just make it part of your instrument/traffic scan, rather then having your head down all the time.
Because suction mounts often fail at the most inopportune times. At altitude, there is less pressure difference than when on the ground. So even with a clean surface and clean suction cup and properly applied, both my iPad and the Stratus 2 have made multiple escape attempts by jumping off of the window onto the floor. Especially after a bounce from turbulence.

For most aircraft, you can't position the tablet with a suction cup to be within your instrument scan as you propose. You can get close with a yoke mount, it it's still in a peripheral view than within the main scan area. Suction cup mounting is often to the side window or windscreen. And then you'll need to be careful of not blocking a key sight line.

Finally, your head is not "down all the time". If it is, you're spending too much time on it versus flying the aircraft. I will spend a few minutes at times, but only when in stable cruise. Other times, I have set it up to give the info I need at a glance, and only then to confirm what I already should know.

Because suction mounts often fail at the most inopportune times. At altitude, there is less pressure difference than when on the ground. So even with a clean surface and clean suction cup and properly applied, both my iPad and the Stratus 2 have made multiple escape attempts by jumping off of the window onto the floor. Especially after a bounce from turbulence.
So should all those pilots who use window suction mounts throw them away then? :dunno:

You are begging to be made fun of, ain't ya?

For most aircraft, you can't position the tablet with a suction cup to be within your instrument scan as you propose. You can get close with a yoke mount, it it's still in a peripheral view than within the main scan area. Suction cup mounting is often to the side window or windscreen. And then you'll need to be careful of not blocking a key sight line.

Finally, your head is not "down all the time". If it is, you're spending too much time on it versus flying the aircraft. I will spend a few minutes at times, but only when in stable cruise. Other times, I have set it up to give the info I need at a glance, and only then to confirm what I already should know.

I've been pretty happy with my Ram suction mount for my mini. Up to 11,500 and it's held on fine. Granted, I haven't hit any serious turbulence. Maybe 30 or 40 flights with it. You can sort of see where it's mounted in my profile picture. Doesn't block any instruments and doesn't effect my sightlines as I sit just above it.

I did use a suction mount on the windshield one time for my iphone. It overheated and shutdown after about a half hour.
I have definitely had over heat issues with my iPad Mini, even on my knee (where I prefer it). They like shade. This is the main issue that kept my 496 on the yoke.

I would think the seat rail solution would be too wobbly and perhaps even unsafe if it prevented you from moving the seat in a emergency. Heck, it would probably be more stable to just directly mount it to the seat frame.

This is for a 182P: We put a mount for our Android / iPad mini at the top of the panel so its well under the shade of the glare shield. In a picture it looks a bit like a ugly duckling in the stack. But everyone who gets in quickly starts asking questions and really likes the location. We originally mounted it on the copilot side window (RAM suction mount). During heavier chop it would shake just enough as to make it quite difficult to zoom or pan or select something. Now fixed to the panel it is much more stable and has not overheated.....yet (15hrs of flight time so far).

Also possible for a 182: There are kits for armrests with storage (rigid, made of metal). We had considering doing something for storage and to also provide a more rigid tablet mount. Perhaps someone could make a mount that would flip it up or stow it away? But I could see egress issues and maybe issues operating the carb, throttle, prop, mixture, trim and cowl flaps.

Yoke mount regular iPad: too big, gets in way.

Yoke mount iPad mini: just right

I used a (G-Force) suction mount for a number of years with a series of Garmin handhelds. Altitude differentials were up to 9,000 feet and turbulence included Lee side mountain winds that had me slowing and extending gear. Never came loose.

I personally prefer a yoke mount but keep a suction option available for those airplanes where it would work better.

I would not want to put ANYTHING on those damn Cessna seat rails. Too flaky even without it.

That.

Just put the dang thing on your lap and call it a day

I bought the same rail mount to try in my Saratoga. It didn't come with the rail parts. I was very disappointed. The "wavy" or curved section is extremely rigid and not meant to move around at all. I wanted some flexibility to adjust it as needed.

Anyway, complete waste of time.

I've since moved on to using Mygoflight mounts. I have the yoke mount but will be getting one for the panel soon. They are far superior to any RAM mount you'll ever use. More $ but worth every penny IMHO. I have a box full or RAM crap that was just a little to long, short, bulky, etc...

Oh, and I just can't / won't do suction mounts for anything I consider even slightly related to the safety of the flight. On multiple occasions my Stratus 2 fell from the window during the latter part of the climb as that air behind the cup became thinner. Never again. The stratus is now held with heavy duty velcro in a safe place with external antenna on the glare shield.

Thr suction cup issue is weight dependent. My CO detector (about 2 oz) has been on my side window for years, never fallen. The suction holder for my handheld (10 oz?) comes off as soon as I start the taxi. Did a photo shoot for Young Eagles a few weeks ago, I insisted the Ram suction mount on the wing was also safety wired down. I don't need something falling off. The photographer assured me that he's had it on race cars at 150 mph. I assured him if there wasn't a second attachment method for anything in thr outside of the airplane,we weren't going.

Turns out we moved the gopros to one of the RVs that has mounts permanently rivieted into the wing.

I have a 182, and I am not a fan of yoke mounts. I saw this and though this might be good.

Plenty of room between the seats on my 182, so I built a console and put a couple RAM ball mounts on it for various things.

Plenty of room between the seats on my 182, so I built a console and put a couple RAM ball mounts on it for various things.
The first 182(Q) I flew had an interesting handmade chart holder between the seats. It had a lucite post on the front for headsets, and one could easily imagine a RAM mount or somesuch attached to it.

The first 182(Q) I flew had an interesting handmade chart holder between the seats. It had a lucite post on the front for headsets, and one could easily imagine a RAM mount or somesuch attached to it.

I have a 182 N, there is a good amount of room. Something like this would work. If I can find one.

Back