iPad mini2 vs. mini4?

3 in the green

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
c170b
Is the mini4 worth it over the mini2, with respect to utilizing Garmin Pilot/Foreflight?

I'd like to think the mini2 does it just fine, but before I pull the trigger on anything I'd like to see if anyone has any experiences that would justify the price difference between the two.

I have a 1st gen ipad with an XGPS150, but the ipad is really slow and I prefer the size of the mini for use in the cockpit. I plan on still using the XGPS150 for now.

My mini 2 is showing some signs of slowness with Foreflight on the latest iOS. I'd go as far up the CPU speed chain as you can get with any Apple product right now, because there's no a speck of code coming out of that place that's efficient.

In a year or two the mini 2 will be slow enough that it's unusable and the 4 will be showing signs of slowness. That's just the world of iOS.

I also have a mini 2 with ForeFlight and I've also noticed some "slowness", but I think it's relative... What I'm noticing is up to a one second delay when switching screens, etc, that wasn't there 6 months ago. In this day and age, one second feels like quite a delay, but is it really?

I luckily don't have the later iOS, thus mine is just as fast as my co workers 4.

I can switch pages, toss plates up, turn on radar, as fast as my fingers and the Internet.

So I'd say no

I luckily don't have the later iOS, thus mine is just as fast as my co workers 4.

I can switch pages, toss plates up, turn on radar, as fast as my fingers and the Internet.

So I'd say no

Don't you find the constant reminders to update annoying? (Or maybe there is a way to shut them off that I'm not aware of?)

Don't you find the constant reminders to update annoying? (Or maybe there is a way to shut them off that I'm not aware of?)
I do,
and I hope there is.

Mini 4 not a question. Mini 2 is getting slower and slower as the updates roll out

Just bought a mini 4 and I hope I can charge it in direct sunlight while flying in the cockpit where my mini 2 would over heat. The larger iPads I use for nav on boat don't have this issue. Hope they fixed that. It was only when screen was all way bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Mini 2 is slowing down due to the iOS updates. I plan to upgrade to a Mini 4 in the next 3 months as the Mini 2 is starting to become unstable.

Anyone thinking that tablets kind of always suck, get updates, and still suck?

I'll never understand why you would spend a penny on a play thing, that really does suck, instead of getting a dedicated aviation portable.

I'm sure it I'll be 'skooled' on all the great things tablets do poorly. Whatever.

Tablets won't replace computers for "real work" and they also won't replace aviation portables for "real flying".

So I'd say no

I'm still flying an ipad 2 without much trouble. I've replaced the digitizer myself about 4 times antenns once (damaged during other work) and the batteries once. No I don't download updates when it asks me.

Last edited:

I'll never understand why you would spend a penny on a play thing, that really does suck, instead of getting a dedicated aviation portable.

I'm sure it I'll be 'skooled' on all the great things tablets do poorly. Whatever.

Tablets won't replace computers for "real work" and they also won't replace aviation portables for "real flying".

I happily use my 5 year old ipad2 in the cockpit and daily at home.

Obsoleted laptops, sectionals, and newspapers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still flying an Ipad 2, seems to work fine.

I'm still flying an ipad 2 without much trouble. I've replaced the digitizer myself about 4 times antenns once (damaged during other work) and the batteries once. No I don't download updates when it asks me.

Ive replaced nothing, man take it easy on the thing man lol

Bought the iPad2 2 years ago and I knew I should of gotten more memory but now with the 4 is it going to be obsolete or slow in 2 years?

If you install bloat ware, yes.

I also recently had to upgrade to a mini 4 - mini 2 after updates getting very slow with ForeFlight.

Don't know of any dedicated aviation portables that will do everything on the feature list of any of the popular tablet software. Not even close.

And then price factors in... they aren't particularly cheap even though they don't do as much.

As far as "real work" goes, I can hook a Bluetooth keyboard to the iPad and do 90% of my "real work". Not quite as comfortably as with a big monitor and a mouse, but I could take the challenge to use one for a week.

Other than running some dedicated Windows software for maintaining certain systems at the office and maybe the annoyance of having to do that via RDP without a mouse, I'd be "fine" on nothing but a tablet with a BT keyboard.

If it was a week where I needed to compile code in XCode or gcc, that wouldn't work out as well but ssh to something that can, fixes that. Testing something on virtual machines that are local to the desktop is a bit problematic also but again, ssh... but with our move to using AWS, it's getting pretty rare to need a local VM even.

Best part about that reality for me is that if I'm off work or traveling, I know I really don't have to pack a laptop everywhere I go, like I did for decades, for that inevitable "emergency" call where they apologize and say they know you're on vacation, but...

I have three Macs... two Mac Minis with i7 processors and upgraded with large SSDs and maxed out RAM, one at home and work, each... and a MacBook Pro similarly outfitted. The MacBook Pro used to go everywhere with me.

Now I don't even bother to pack it for most trips and when I do, thinking I might need it, it rarely comes out of the bag.

That all said, Apple is losing it under Cook... and the next portable machine is probably some super slim Win10 gadget maybe dual booting or just running Linux on it, and the iPad will become the aviation-only tool for Foreflight. Until I convert to something Android and then probably Garmin or WingX.

Apple has completely screwed up the MacBook Pro at this point with the stupid connector change and nobody needs a touchbar.

The other way to go is one of the "workstation class" laptops that'll drive four to six monitors and go back to lugging it around when necessary -- but I doubt it. When at a desk with a real machine these days, multiple monitor support is the key for what I do, and that's about the only feature that's a must have when sitting in the chair(s).

My daughter has used iPhones for years, and she is of the opinion that the upgrades are written to deliberately run slower to motivate you to buy the latest version. I just wonder if this is true or if the software updates are just so memory intense that more power is needed. Sounds like James331 is having no problems since he didn't upgrade the software. Hmm.

My daughter has used iPhones for years, and she is of the opinion that the upgrades are written to deliberately run slower to motivate you to buy the latest version. I just wonder if this is true or if the software updates are just so memory intense that more power is needed. Sounds like James331 is having no problems since he didn't upgrade the software. Hmm.
If your use pattern is fixed, then the upgrades become superfluous. If you like the continual functional enhancement of say ForeFlight or the iPhone camera or iCloud photo management, then both the HW and SW upgrades are welcomed.

Just upgraded to the iPhone7 so that the hundreds/thousands of pics can be handled seamlessly by iCloud. Wuz Worth It

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back