iPad Mini vs. iPad Air?

Also get the largest gigabyte capacity you can afford. While you don't need huge amounts to use one of the EFB's, you'll appreciate the additional room as you add more apps, music, movies, etc.

Also get the largest gigabyte capacity you can afford. While you don't need huge amounts to use one of the EFB's, you'll appreciate the additional room as you add more apps, music, movies, etc.
64GB will be more than enough for me! The iPad won't be used for much of anything other than flying - I have a Surface Pro 3 as my normal tablet/laptop

Hey guys, would you recommend the Cellular version or WiFi Only??
Cell version 100% as it's the only one that has a GPS built in. Without that, you will be required to spend pretty much that same amount getting an external GPS anyway (which you'll probably end up doing anyway - full disclosure).

Yea I had planned on getting the cellular version so I guess I will stick with that.

If you plan on using any sort of ADS-B/AHRS device, consider that they all come with a GPS chip, so it will render your internal GPS useless. If you have no use for the cellular portion, you can realize $100 savings by just going with the WIFI version.

64GB will be more than enough for me! The iPad won't be used for much of anything other than flying - I have a Surface Pro 3 as my normal tablet/laptop

Probably true as 64 GB is still quite a bit. I have FF and WingX and they together are under 10 GB I believe. But don't kid yourself - even if you don't put tons of movies on it, it's an investment so you'll find ways to use the iPad for a lot more than aviation. I bought my iPad for the same reason - aviation. But I now use it for all kinds of non-aviation stuff and I love it for that.

That said, unless you're using apps with large offline databases like FF, most apps take up very little space. So 64 GB is probably plenty.

To me this seems like the way to go - I have the 6S Plus 64GB and I think that paired up with the ipad mini 4 64GB would be great.

It's not the size of your unit, it's how you use it. You just have to remember that the older they get the more prone they are to failure, running out of power, and overheating, etc. Sometimes trying to stuff a big one into a tiny cockpit is more trouble than it's worth.

I have been unsuccessful in finding anyplace in my Cardinal for an iPad Air. Too big. I prefer a 7" tablet, like the one below. Everything is at my fingertips, and I can use the A Pillar to brace my hand while I interact with the screen. I have tried keeping the iPad on my lap or copilot seat, but using it as an on again off again reference requires too much time inside. Much better to have what you need at your fingertips. Perhaps you could mount the mini in a similar fashion.

Avionics08.jpg

What is the unit above your AI?

Thanks for all the feedback guys I appreciate it!

Looks like this is the RAM yoke mount for the mini 4: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-121-UN8U

Maybe I will pick one of those up...or maybe one of the suction cup mounts would work better (especially for planes that don't have a yoke!)?

Cool I will check those out as well!

Mark,

How does the Roto-View part work? Is it spring loaded? Do you pull out and twist, or just grab the iPad and rotate it? Does it seem like it will hold up to changing orientation frequently, or just occasional rotations?

DISREGARD: Found the #videos: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-ROTO1U#videos
You just turn. It has detente for different positions and you can tighten or loosen it. Seems pretty solid so far. About par for the course for a RAM product.

Hey guys, would you recommend the Cellular version or WiFi Only??
It depends. All of my iPads have been wifi only. I tether to my phone those few time I can't access a wifi internet connection. And Internet wifi connections are becoming more, not less, common since I started.

If you're the type that wants a "full" download of charts (not really necessary but if you do), you'll find VFR+IFR will be about 50GB during the interim days during chart "cut over" when the unit has the new ones downloaded but the others are still the current set.

So 64GB works fine but if you like keeping other stuff on the device (music, and especially videos/movies) it gets a little squished at 64, but only in the overlap days.

Most folks really don't need everything downloaded all the time, however. So 64GB is very comfortable.

Thanks Denver! Still can't decide between the Air and Mini...if I did go the Air route I would maybe wait unti the new one came out...if not I would get the Mini today probably!

Thanks Denver! Still can't decide between the Air and Mini...if I did go the Air route I would maybe wait unti the new one came out...if not I would get the Mini today probably!
Once I decided to move to a Mini, I looked at the Apple rumor mill to decide whether to wait or not. What I got was that there was likely to be a new Air soon but the Mini 4 would be the newest in that line until 2017. So I bought one.

BTW, since I know that I tend to fill up whatever I have and was bouncing against the 64 Gb limits of my two prior iPads, I went 128 Gb. But that's clearly not everyone.

I have a Mini for personal use, and an Air 2 issued by my company. For a GA cockpit, I find the Mini to be a much better size. 64Gb works fine for me, but they're not used for anything other than aviation stuff and light browsing.

Thanks for the feedback...I guess I should just go for the Mini and not over think it too much.

I like the mini size wise.

Apple has been so stupid under Cook I fully expect they'll kill it in a coupe of weeks. LOL.

Or announce iPencil2, the dildo edition. Haha.

Seriously though, if whatever they release doesn't have Band 12 in it...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457798445.259263.jpg

I like the mini size wise.

Apple has been so stupid under Cook I fully expect they'll kill it in a coupe of weeks. LOL.

Or announce iPencil2, the dildo edition. Haha.

Seriously though, if whatever they release doesn't have Band 12 in it...

Between the shrinking iPad and the expanding iPhone (I'm still using a 4S as I hate the new ones) I figure they will meet some day soon and be indistinguishable.

As the iPhone gets too big to be a practical phone any more they will have to come up with a new way to make a simple voice call.

Oh ya, they already have. Now I have to buy an Apple watch... :mad:

Between the shrinking iPad and the expanding iPhone (I'm still using a 4S as I hate the new ones) I figure they will meet some day soon and be indistinguishable.

As the phone gets too big to be a practical phone any more they will have to come up with a new way to make a simple phone call.

Oh ya, they already have. Now I have to buy an Apple watch...

LOL. I actually like my iPhone 6+ but it killed my use of iPad for anything but flying, pretty much. I only grab it now for that, or as a backup in the house when the iPhone battery is dying. ;)

And watching what the Android hardware is doing... I don't think my next phone will be from Apple. But that'll probably be a while off... I use this stuff for years.

Played with a Galaxy 7 Edge yesterday at work (co-worker got it) and that is one sweet looking display. It blows my iPhone 6+ out of the water. Like big smoking radioactive hole with a tsunami coming away from it, blown. Brighter and clearer by an order of magnitude to my eyeballs.

LOL. I actually like my iPhone 6+ but it killed my use of iPad for anything but flying, pretty much. I only grab it now for that, or as a backup in the house when the iPhone battery is dying. ;)

And watching what the Android hardware is doing... I don't think my next phone will be from Apple. But that'll probably be a while off... I use this stuff for years.

Played with a Galaxy 7 Edge yesterday at work (co-worker got it) and that is one sweet looking display. It blows my iPhone 6+ out of the water. Like big smoking radioactive hole with a tsunami coming away from it, blown. Brighter and clearer by an order of magnitude to my eyeballs.

You know I was a die hard Android guy for years...I was very anti Apple. I just got rid of my Samsung S6 Edge+ for the iPhone 6S Plus...

Yes Android has the better hardware but it truthfully doesn't matter that much. For that beautiful screen to look so good they have the brightness all the way up in the store...the battery life of my S6 Edge + was horrific and I truthfully think the software is getting worse. They keep focusing on these stupid software features and settings that no one will ever use. I used to root my android phones and run custom ROMs...I knew the Android phones inside and out...I have to admit that Apples software blows it out of the water. Everything is so much more refined. You don't need the most powerful hardware to run it to its potential.

Anyways...just my thoughts on Apple vs. Android...and that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of my knowledge with the two platforms...

Now the Nexus 6 might be an interesting phone to have as it is plain vanilla android and they don't make their own custom launcher that bloats it like Samsung,LG, etc

I have been wondering if this is an analogue for what it going on across the entire economy. Companies like Apple in a scramble to come up with the "next great thing" to keep consumers like us wanting to buy it. And consumers like me "going on strike" and sticking with what we already have that works just fine. Too much capacity, not enough demand = slow growth economy.

Apple is so desperate to force upgrades that my 4S does not have enough memory to load the current OS, and I just keep making phone calls without it. It fits in my jeans pocket, and the battery makes it through most days (but not all).

Like you I use my stuff for years. I am not a fan of too much technology "integration" in the cockpit or on the ground. So my phone's a phone, my iPod Classic (anybody remember those? :rolleyes:) holds my music and the iPad is for the cockpit and retrieving email and articles when I am on the road, and I doubt I'll replace my Seiko with an Apple watch any time soon.
One reason I wonder about the Garmin 750. If you install all the bells and whistles it's a lovely package. But if that screen fails you lose everything - nav, GPS, com, intercom and transponder.

Last edited:

There is no "perfect" solution, and technology continuously marches on -changing.

Just dive in.

I tend to go back and forth I have a regular size iPad also an iPad mini. I have various types of ram mounts and also kneepads.

If I am standardizing at all, it seems like I am headed this direction: for IFR flying when I need to refer to charts and plates, I am using the full-size iPad usually as a knee board but sometimes on the yoke.

For VFR flying I'm using the mini on the yoke or suctioncupped to a window.

Thanks for the feedback...I guess I should just go for the Mini and not over think it too much.
An idea for you..... (and same goes to purchasing an aircraft).

Borrow both a Mini and Full Size iPad and then go sit in the aircraft you plan to use it in. Move both of them from potential mounting spot to mounting spot. Even better, go fly with your instructor, let him control the aircraft, while you hold each one in the various positions so you can see if any glare or instrument blockage happens, and if either is too big or too small.

Actually seeing how each fits the various places will give you a much better idea of which to purchase and where you might put it BEFORE you spend your hard won cash.

So I talked with a couple of the instructors...I am going to go ahead with the Mini...that seemed to be the general consensus and I can see in the 172 that it is probably the way to go...yes in something like a Cirrus the bigger iPad would have its advantages but you don't even really need one in a lot of the cirrus that have the PFD and MFD anyways...

I have to admit viewing them in store though that the extra space on the Air is very nice but the new one will be released in a few weeks and I'm not sure I want to wait anyways...most people seem happy with the mini

I have to admit viewing them in store though that the extra space on the Air is very nice but the new one will be released in a few weeks and I'm not sure I want to wait anyways...most people seem happy with the mini
Seriously no one has an easier return policy than Apple.

I was going through the same dilemma so I bought a Mini. After a week it was clear that the type was too small for me (pre-retina) so I took it back and got an Air 2.

Test drive it. By the time your 14 days is up the new full size iPad will be out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought the mini 4...went in and compared them with foreflight...honestly a small difference between the two and I think the mini 4 will be great with the yoke mount.

I bought the mini 4...went in and compared them with foreflight...honestly a small difference between the two and I think the mini 4 will be great with the yoke mount.

Having to look down at the yoke for the ipadgets old fast. Suction cup mount in front of A pillar on window = awesome.

Lachlan - I bought the suction cup mount as well from RAM so I am prepared for anything ;p

Last edited:
Having to look down at the yoke for the ipadgets old fast. Suction cup mount in front of A pillar on window = awesome.
Except that means you need to make any inputs into the iPad with your left hand. A little bit of a problem for a right handed person.

Except that means you need to make any inputs into the iPad with your left hand. A little bit of a problem for a right handed person.

I am ambidextrous :p!

I mount it on the right side of the windscreen, just foreword of the door pilar in a C172. I can reach it easily with my right hand and still have a bend in my elbow.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 21

Depends on what you're using it for. That's a good place if you're VFR, but the yoke mount is in line with flying IFR and shooting approaches. Constantly looking to the right would get old quickly while shooting approaches.

Sounds like the OP will begin experimenting soon and find a place where he's most comfortable with it. Only way to figure it out is fly with it and go from there. I've moved mine 3 times already and have a host of RAM mounts, more than I need now....

Cheers,
Brian

My government issued iPad that I fly with is an Air which we aren't allowed to use any Bluetooth GPS pucks or Foreflight/Garmin Pilot. So I also bring my personal mini with Garmin Pilot. Using both, the mini is just fine for me. I recommend spending the extra $90 for the cellular so you have the GPS. Doing the wifi you are just gonna have to buy a $80 GPS puck anyway and it's one more thing you have to charge. However, if you plan on doing a Stratus or Stratux, the wifi model is adequate since those have GPSs built in.

Back