iPad mini and ADS B

270win

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
270win
I'm using an iPad mini 5 and Garmin Pilot. I fly 4 different aircraft in our flying club and all of them have the Stratus ADS B transponders with WiFi. Do I need a GDL 50 for ADS B information to be displayed on my ipad?

Or a GDL39 or a GTX345/375(not portable). GDL39's are getting cheaper.

should my iPad be able to display traffic by using the ads b from our panel mounted transponders?

I'll look into gdl 39. Thanks!

Garmin Pilot will display traffic and weather (via Bluetooth) from their panel mounted transponders that support it. At a minimum the GTX345 and the GNX375 (which is basically a 345 and 175 in the same unit).

My ipad mini with Foreflight displays ADS-B in provided by min panel mounted GTX345.

I'm using an iPad mini 5 and Garmin Pilot. I fly 4 different aircraft in our flying club and all of them have the Stratus ADS B transponders with WiFi. Do I need a GDL 50 for ADS B information to be displayed on my ipad?

Garmin is the only software I know of that refuses to talk to ADS-B devices with open GDL. It will only talk to Garmin. Its one of the reasons I quit using Garmin Pilot.

I’m beginning to see some advantages to foreflight. My buddy and I have flown together several times and he always has traffic info when connected to the transponders via WiFi and I get nothing. I’ll try foreflight and see if that works.

i haven't gotten my rental figured out just yet and could be wrong but I think its a matter of connecting pilot to the panel avionics using Connect...their proprietary thing.... rather than wifi. assuming you have the previously mentioned garmin 345 transponder anyway.

We have Stratus transponders in all of our aircraft. Maybe that's part of it.

I did download foreflight and find it to be MUCH more intuitive and user friendly than Garmin Pilot.

Yeah, Garmin Pilot plus Stratus is the wrong combo.

Garmin talks to Garmin.

Looks like you figured it out. :)

I did, I went and tried it in our airplanes and everything worked perfectly. And this is just opinion, but for me Foreflight is much more user friendly.

Foreflight is constantly improving their product. They are innovative, fast and precise. The Pro subscription is phenomenal. All you need is stratus ADSB (out or in-out) and a mini i-pad for 99% of all VFR ops. Add a solid GPS and your 99% for IFR. Just keeps getting better.

Add a solid GPS and your 99% for IFR.

Negative. Add a certified panel mount GPS for IFR.

Handheld devices are NOT IFR primary navigation, period, full-stop. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 hamburger run.

Situational awareness ONLY.

Foreflight is constantly improving their product. They are innovative, fast and precise. The Pro subscription is phenomenal. All you need is stratus ADSB (out or in-out) and a mini i-pad for 99% of all VFR ops. Add a solid GPS and your 99% for IFR. Just keeps getting better.

Add a solid GPS = IFR Certified unit.

Handheld devices are NOT IFR primary navigation, period, full-stop. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 hamburger run. Situational awareness ONLY.

What Nate said!

Foreflight works with both Stratus and Garmin transponders. Stratus connects via wi fi, and Garmins hook up via blue tooth.

I prefer the Stratus wifi hook up, as then I can tie the I Pad Foreflight into the blue tooth in the headset and get audio traffic, approaching runway, caution traffic alert, etc.

Of course you could always hook into a Sentry or something like that as well, but I can't see spending that when the transponder connection works so well giving you traffic as well as WAAS GPS accuracy.

(VFR flying only - no IFR of course)

Handheld devices are NOT IFR primary navigation, period, full-stop. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 hamburger run.

Situational awareness ONLY.

Add a solid GPS = IFR Certified unit.

What Nate said!

Roger that denverpilot.
Certified, panel mount, waas GPS is what I was referring to.
I must remember to dot my i’s and cross my t’s.
And I Am......and I remain.......yours truly,,,,,durangopilot!

:frog:

Back