iPad logbook apps

ProspectingCFI

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Well hello guys and gals. I hope everyone had a safe and fun holiday.

So I've been wanting to get an app or Internet based logbook for easier and more organized logging of all the different hours we all fly. Whether its single, multi, instrument, pic, sic, night, day, you know etc etc. and I'm wondering what people like the best or if you just prefer plain old paper

I know there's probably threads on this already but I figured I'd get the most up to date info and technology available. Give me whatever you got, pros/cons, opinions or whatever.

Thanks Matt

I'm a fan of myFlightBook. Online, free, iOS and android apps, downloadable spreadsheet to keep a copy locally. That said, I personally am not completely satisfied with the efficacy of an electronic log and still maintain my paper log, although I no longer enter more than the absolute minimum into it.

I've been digital for 15 year, originally with Flightlevel, which ultimately disappeared, now with Logbook Pro from www.nc-software.com. It does everything I need it to, with remote data entry from my iPad, Nexus and Droid phones. It keeps an up to date summary of hour totals, currency, etc. up to date on each of the remote data entry devices. Very handy.

Bottom line: if you're Mac-based, LogTen is for you. If Windows-based, Logbook Pro.

I've been digital for 15 year, originally with Flightlevel, which ultimately disappeared...

I started out with FlightLevel as well. Great product, but I did notice that they seemed to lose touch with their customers before I made the switch to Mac and LogTen Pro.

After reading your post I decided to check out their Website to see what was up. It's still there, but now it's advertising discount parking at airports. WTF!?!?!?!

Like Midlifeflyer, I also use MyFlightBook. The website is a little dated, but I primarily use the iOS and Windows Phone versions. Being able to export to Excel for a backup gives me one extra piece of mind in case the site goes offline.

Hard to beat the features it offers for the price (free).

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Check out
Pilotica.com

I have been using the one that came with my Garmin GPS... seems to work well for my flying habits..

I've been digital for 15 year, originally with Flightlevel, which ultimately disappeared, now with Logbook Pro from www.nc-software.com. It does everything I need it to, with remote data entry from my iPad, Nexus and Droid phones. It keeps an up to date summary of hour totals, currency, etc. up to date on each of the remote data entry devices. Very handy.

Bottom line: if you're Mac-based, LogTen is for you. If Windows-based, Logbook Pro.
Logbook Pro is what I've been using for the past 10 years and it has served me very well.
It also has an iPhone/iPad and Droid app that seamlessly snycs with your desktop.

https://a.nc-software.com/aw.aspx?B=89&A=272&Task=Get

I started out with FlightLevel as well. Great product, but I did notice that they seemed to lose touch with their customers before I made the switch to Mac and LogTen Pro.

After reading your post I decided to check out their Website to see what was up. It's still there, but now it's advertising discount parking at airports. WTF!?!?!?!

Yep....they just vanished. Thankfully the Logbook Pro folks took my Flightlevel backup and converted the data right into their product....including custom fields. Been happy with Logbook Pro.

Yep....they just vanished. Thankfully the Logbook Pro folks took my Flightlevel backup and converted the data right into their product....including custom fields. Been happy with Logbook Pro.

Same here with LogTen Pro. Of course I didn't know FlightLevel had vanished at that point. I thought I had vanished on them.:D

Sounds like a lot of people like log ten pro. Reasons why it's better than others?

Myflightbook is great. Only thing I really hated was I had 10 years of entries and the program wants you to enter all of them. I really wanted a way to just have a "starting from here" entries.
Other that that small issue, I think its great.

Myflightbook is great. Only thing I really hated was I had 10 years of entries and the program wants you to enter all of them. I really wanted a way to just have a "starting from here" entries.

+1

Plus Myflightbook is free, has apps for Android and iOS and a website.

another fan of pilotica.com...you can configure the fields you want...and the developer is excellent in support...and its free.

Probably too late but did you can't act the developer about that? He's very responsive.

Fortunately I didn't have that issue. I had been using an eLog since the days of DOS. So it was a simple export import issue for me.

I had 20 years of data to enter when I did it. Took a week or so of an hour here, an hour there over a holiday slow period. In the end, I'm glad it's all there and searchable now. Periodically I think back to a flight in my distant past with a particular person or place, and it's nice to be able to search the logbook for names and places long ago.

Jonsey,

How did you handle it when the first program was abandoned? My fear of digital is that a couple years into it the program will disappear.

I'm a fan of myFlightBook. Online, free, iOS and android apps, downloadable spreadsheet to keep a copy locally. That said, I personally am not completely satisfied with the efficacy of an electronic log and still maintain my paper log, although I no longer enter more than the absolute minimum into it.

I use myflightbook too.

For instruction I maintain a paper logbook which has only Dual flights logged.

Jonsey,

How did you handle it when the first program was abandoned? My fear of digital is that a couple years into it the program will disappear.

As long as you can export into some sort of readable format (comma delimited, Excel, etc.) getting the data into a new logbook program shouldn't be a problem. With FlightLevel in particular, their data was in Access databases, so the potential is there to simply read and convert with Access. I used to pull custom reports all the time when I had FlightLevel and Access.

As long as you can export into some sort of readable format (comma delimited, Excel, etc.) getting the data into a new logbook program shouldn't be a problem. With FlightLevel in particular, their data was in Access databases, so the potential is there to simply read and convert with Access. I used to pull custom reports all the time when I had FlightLevel and Access.

:yeahthat:

Plus, even if they disappear, as long as the app still runs (which it did just fine) it's not a big deal.

Sounds like a lot of people like log ten pro. Reasons why it's better than others?

LogTen Pro is the only full-featured native pilot log app on the iPad.

Logbook Pro is good if you're a Windows user who just wants to be able to enter flight time on an iDevice and sync it with your computer.

If you want to use the iPad as the sole device for your logbook, or if you use a Mac, LogTen Pro is the way to go.

Both of them are full-featured on the desktop, LogTen Pro is also full-featured on the mobile device, though I prefer the way things are done on the desktop version for some functions.

LogTen Pro is the only full-featured native pilot log app on the iPad.
This sounds like a great feature.
Logbook Pro is good if you're a Windows user who just wants to be able to enter flight time on an iDevice and sync it with your computer.
This is the app that I'm currently using and I love the desktop version but the iPad version is lacking in a major way, mainly because it gives you very little info and as you stated it is mainly for entering your flight time and syncing it with the Cloud or your desktop.
If you want to use the iPad as the sole device for your logbook, or if you use a Mac, LogTen Pro is the way to go.
I have a iPad mini, would you recommend LogTen Pro for it?

This is the app that I'm currently using and I love the desktop version but the iPad version is lacking in a major way, mainly because it gives you very little info and as you stated it is mainly for entering your flight time and syncing it with the Cloud or your desktop.

Since you already have Logbook Pro, you might as well stick with it, even if the iPad app is disappointing. You can still record your flights on the road and sync it up to the main application, which will get you all the data crunching you may need.

On the other hand, if you decide do the leap to Mac, or if you really want a standalone logbook app on your Mini, then by all means, go for LogTen Pro.

Well... Tough call. If you want the iPad to be your one-and-only device for your logbook, yes. However, LogTen Pro on the iPad won't sync to Logbook Pro on Windows... So, if you still want a desktop copy and you're not going to switch to a Mac any time soon, you may want to just stick with what you've got.

On the other hand, if you decide do the leap to Mac.
I would love to make the switch to a Macbook Pro but the Macbook that I want equals twenty hours of flight time :dunno: and flight time wins over a new Macbook every single time I weigh the options. :wink2:

I would love to make the switch to a Macbook Pro but the Macbook that I want equals twenty hours of flight time :dunno: and flight time wins over a new Macbook every single time I weigh the options. :wink2:

Then you answered your questions. Personally, I'm fine with the iPad/Android data entry apps. The flight totals all sync back to the app so I always have current totals on all my flying, which is all I need/want on my phone and tablets.

I also love the automatic 8710 form that LBP generates, which was one of the motivations for going electronic in the first place. Even though those are now done online, having the form in front of me with all the boxes filled in is really convenient.

Back