iPad Kneeboard - POA Consumer Feedback

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
What iPad kneeboards are folks getting good results with?

Hated to post this, but really couldn't find what I'm looking for with the search tools.

I just bought myself an iPad for paperless charts and sectionals.

Also, maybe if we reach a consensus on certain keywords for certain types of thread, we can make data mining easier.

I really don't know how to do that.

Thanks all,

Not using a knee board but a compilation of Ram mount parts for a yoke mount. I first ordered what Ram calls a yoke mount, but it didn't work well in my Warrior. I then ordered a couple of additional parts and now have it right where I want it.

^ I did the same thing, I have a RAM mount for my Asus Transformer. I've tried it in various locations in the cockpit, but ended up putting it on the yoke. I thought it might hinder my ability to fly the plane by impeding access to the yoke, but it doesn't get in the way at all.

Not using a knee board but a compilation of Ram mount parts for a yoke mount. I first ordered what Ram calls a yoke mount, but it didn't work well in my Warrior. I then ordered a couple of additional parts and now have it right where I want it.
I have the RAM yoke mount and use it in my Warrior with great results.

I found that if you mount the hardware so that the ball is under the yoke instead of on top then the iPad will sit centered on the yoke itself and will not block the view of any of the instruments.

I've been using the iPro Aviator and am very pleased with it.
http://www.forpilotsonly.com/iPro-Aviator.htm

What I like best is the half-height clipboard. It gives me a surface to write something down on a piece of paper or sticky (becoming rarer) and also gives me an in-flight cover for protection (including from the sun).

For a brief period while I was waiting for delivery, I did a roll-your-own, cutting holes in the edges of a common silicone backing through which I slid an old kneeboard strap. It worked quite well.

I use RAM yoke mount in C172/C182. Works great - doesn't cover any instruments and stays right in front of me making reading text easier.

I have the RAM yoke mount and use it in my Warrior with great results.

I found that if you mount the hardware so that the ball is under the yoke instead of on top then the iPad will sit centered on the yoke itself and will not block the view of any of the instruments.

I did exactly that and it sat too upright and I have to look to far down to see something I'm interested in. I bought a bar bell piece and a longer arm. The long arm is attached to the yoke mount and to the bar bell and the original arm then attaches to the bar bell and iPad holder. That allows it to sit at a 45 degree angle or lower if necessary and sit up fairly high. If I remember I'll take a picture.

The iPad is either in my flight bag, next to me, or sitting on my lap. Hasn't been an issue for me.

The iPad is either in my flight bag, next to me, or sitting on my lap. Hasn't been an issue for me.

I found its easier to hold it at the level of the yoke or higher to really Read info, while still taking time to look outside, etc.

I would try the ram mounts before a kneeboard.

I'm doing fine with nothing special at all to hold my iPad. I use my FlyBoys kneeboard to hold my 5x8 yellow pad and my pens, and lay the iPad on top of it when appropriate. When I don't need it, it goes on the right seat (or the right seat passenger's lap) or between the front seats (there's a nice spot there for it in a Grumman).

Dogpile on for the RAM mount. GPSCity.com has decent deals and "packages".

I know on YouTube there are several videos for iPad mounts, both RAM and others. My chartbundle account there has a couple detailed views of other(not-iPad) tablets on RAM mounts in a Cessna, sorry about the shaky-cam view.

I did exactly that and it sat too upright and I have to look to far down to see something I'm interested in. I bought a bar bell piece and a longer arm. The long arm is attached to the yoke mount and to the bar bell and the original arm then attaches to the bar bell and iPad holder. That allows it to sit at a 45 degree angle or lower if necessary and sit up fairly high. If I remember I'll take a picture.
Was your infront of the vertical part of the yoke or behind it? I had mine behind it at it tilted just fine. I'll have to get pics as well.

Was your infront of the vertical part of the yoke or behind it? I had mine behind it at it tilted just fine. I'll have to get pics as well.

See attached pictures.

Now that I have the long arm I might try it without the barbell and short arm.

Attachments

• IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 133
I've been using the iPro Aviator and am very pleased with it.
http://www.forpilotsonly.com/iPro-Aviator.htm

What I like best is the half-height clipboard. It gives me a surface to write something down on a piece of paper or sticky (becoming rarer) and also gives me an in-flight cover for protection (including from the sun).

I have this too, and don't like it very much. The hinge is kind of flaky, and the elastic strap is a bit tight.

Sure looks like the geometry of just going direct to the iPad holder with the long arm would work in your setup.

I have this too, and don't like it very much. The hinge is kind of flaky, and the elastic strap is a bit tight.
OTOH I like it, although it would be better with a wider strap - the makeshift one I used before the Aviator was actually a little more comfortable because of it.

The other one I find interesting is the simple MyClip http://tietco.com/kneeboard.php

And I know folks who use the Otterbox for all the extra protection.

The only think I'm not that interested in are the mounts that seem so popular. I didn't like my GPSMapX96 on a yoke mount and I haven't been too excited about having something even larger there.

Would the RAM yoke mounts be something that is easily detachable, so I could use it in rental 172s?

Would the RAM yoke mounts be something that is easily detachable, so I could use it in rental 172s?
Yes. It is just a bracket on the control rod. A simple hand screw is how it is operated.

ramb121ap8iu3a.jpg

I use my knees. They're free.

Sure looks like the geometry of just going direct to the iPad holder with the long arm would work in your setup.

I tried it today with just the long arm. It worked but not as well as I would like. I get a lot more adjust-ability with the barbell and short arm.

The problem I've found with the iPad in flight is that I often fly with polarized sunglasses and cannot see the screen when in portrait (vertical), so I have to use it in landscape.

Lastnight I saw a flyer from Sporty's on their rotating kneeboard but I didn't see any PiReps on their site for it. I may give it a shot as it's only $28. Anyone try it already?

I've had problems seeing other instruments and sometimes even through the windows at certain angles. My solution was not wearing polarized sunglasses.

I've had problems seeing other instruments and sometimes even through the windows at certain angles. My solution was not wearing polarized sunglasses.

I no problem with PFD/MFD, GPS or other instruments. No idea why you can't see out of the window. I guess it a case of YMMV.

View attachment 24367
See attached pictures.

Here is my mounting of the RAM mount. This is with all the stock parts that came with it.

vBulliten question. Why are the photos rotated when I upload them? They appear fine on my computer.

Attachments

• iPadMount.JPG
    iPadMount.JPG
    606.6 KB · Views: 48
  • iPadMount2.JPG
    iPadMount2.JPG
    926.9 KB · Views: 52
  • iPadMount3.JPG
    iPadMount3.JPG
    788.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I rotated them 90degrees CW. They appear wrong on my computer, lets see how they look on PoA!

Attachments

• iPadMount.JPG
    iPadMount.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • iPadMount2.JPG
    iPadMount2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • iPadMount3.JPG
    iPadMount3.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Has anyone used the Cessna Seat Rail IPad mount sold by RAM? Unless there is some brace that I don't know about, it seems as if it would be less than solid.

Doc

Back