Ipad in the cockpit

Tracey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
tracey
In my efforts to begin to familiarize myself with what is available on the Ipad for use in the cockpit, I was wondering what everyone's top 3 apps are--apps that you've really come to rely on and would not like to do without.

And thanks!

In my efforts to begin to familiarize myself with what is available on the Ipad for use in the cockpit, I was wondering what everyone's top 3 apps are--apps that you've really come to rely on and would not like to do without.

And thanks!

The best aviation app I found was Angry Birds; after that it's WingX Pro but NetFlix and Temple Run see far more use. Get WingX Pro and add the ADS-B and AHRS features when you can, use a Dual or other B/T GPS if you don't get the ADS-B with GPS built in off the bat. Where you live it'll be a good value as you are in a pretty full service area for ADS-B. The AHRS gives you real SVT.

If you don't already own an iPad, I'd suggest looking at a Garmin 796.

Last edited:
Foreflight (EFB ), GoodReader (documents), NotesPlus (handwritten & typed notetaking). Even FF's new documents update and it's scratchpad do not replace the latter 2 for me. Those three are running on every flight.

A fourth, especially for IFR flights, is Sporty's E6B app. Other than setting a vertical profile in an on-board IFR GPS that has the capability, nothing calculates "cross INTRS at 3,000" faster.

A sometimes 5th is Chronology - when I'm in a "switch tanks" airplane and don't have something else (like my 396 or an on-board GPS with the capability) that acts as a reminder.

Thanks everyone! This is great info, it'll help me to start to incorporate my ipad in my flying, and it looks like that's the way "of the future."

And Ken- welcome! I see that was your first post! Ben should be along soon, he's our welcoming committee. (But don't listen to anything he says).

Last edited:
Moon to find % illumination, elevation - if it is a night flight
Camera to catch cool clouds, traffic, cockpit scenes, neat stuff on ground
Music for inflight entertainment
Notes to jot down stuff I think of which I need to do later
Maps or CityMaps2Go for when we land.
GameCenter for pax

Foreflight and Wing X are great for flying in America...

For the unlucky pilots who live outside the U.S., I would recommend Air Navigation Pro - it comes with some pretty neat features and is very easy to use.

I also use Aero Weather for current Metar and Taf reports.....

I love using the Ipad as an aviation GPS, moving map, flight planner etc...I haven't touched my Garmin since getting the Ipad....

The only problem I have with the Ipad is where to put it in the cockpit....it's kind of big and I couldn't find a convenient mount for it.

The yoke mount won't do it...the Ipad obstructs the view and it bangs on the side window if you need to fully deflect your ailerons....

The knee pad is not very convenient either...nice to use if you fly a bird with a stick...but when you use a Yoke, it's a different story.

I finally purchased the RAM mount with a vacuum device that sticks on the windshield, not ideal, but it's the best solution I have found so far....

Last edited:
Foreflight has Canadian IFR charts as well now.

I signed up for both Foreflight and WingX Pro to give them both a fair shake. I much prefer Foreflight. I don't need the AHRS capability of WingX since I have the G1000 with SVT in my plane anyway, so I might have had a different opinion if I didn't have that. They both have features I like but Foreflight is more slick, and has a better thought out user interface in my opinion.

WingX, AeroWeather, and MyRadar

That combo of add ons will be very effective for flying....:yesnod:

Welcome to POA, but I see Tracey beat me to the punch.:(:(..
I am tellin ya,, she is fast............................................................................. for a girl..

Ps... she is still in the shrink ward and probably needs some more M&M's...... Send to cell #54 @ BFE nuthouse..:rofl::wink2::lol:..

I was wondering what everyone's top 3 apps are--apps that you've really come to rely on and would not like to do without!
I actually prefer Flight Guide for my chart subscription (and lets you subscribe on individual-monthly basis) it also has flight planning, filing and has special area maps for VFR pilots. I also supplement this with FltPlan - excellent free website for flight planning where I can find out what flight plans were filed recently on my proposed route. Oh, almost forgot, like AeroWeather too. (On a side note I asked support people at Flight Guide for a feature and they got it done in 3 days, amazing).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! This is great info, it'll help me to start to incorporate my ipad in my flying, and it looks like that's the way "of the future."

And Ken- welcome! I see that was your first post! Ben should be along soon, he's our welcoming committee. (But don't listen to anything he says).

Thanks for the welcome, I got my Ticket back in 83 at CXO in Conroe Tx, then kids took away my flying money, just started flying again last year. I am now a 1/3 owner of a Cherokee 140 based at KRYY in Kennesaw Georgia, I have learned a lot reading this forum already.

ForeFlight, DTC Duat mobile, my radar, Aeroweather, AOPA Airports, GoodReader (PDF docs, for the CFI to keep the FAA handbooks and other docs), FAR/AIM

Foreflight (EFB ), GoodReader (documents), NotesPlus (handwritten & typed notetaking). Even FF's new documents update and it's scratchpad do not replace the latter 2 for me. Those three are running on every flight.

A fourth, especially for IFR flights, is Sporty's E6B app. Other than setting a vertical profile in an on-board IFR GPS that has the capability, nothing calculates "cross INTRS at 3,000" faster.

A sometimes 5th is Chronology - when I'm in a "switch tanks" airplane and don't have something else (like my 396 or an on-board GPS with the capability) that acts as a reminder.

Your post sent me looking for a good note-taking application; after reading a lot of reviews, I ended up downloading Notability; their newest version is on sale this week only for 99 cents... that's a lot less than the $7.99 they're asking for Notes Plus.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8

Developer's website: http://www.gingerlabs.com/cont/notability.php

My ".$02". I found a "free" solution to the mounting problem. I have a 182T that has a chart holder on top of the yoke. I have a thick cover on the Ipad which I open and place the cover in the chart plate holder. It does semi-block some instruments, but is the best solution I have come up with. The right side yoke is occupied with a Garmin 696 or I would use a RAM mount on that side.

And yes to Foreflight.

A really cool and free planning sight is Navmonster, IMHO

Barry

My ".$02". I found a "free" solution to the mounting problem. I have a 182T that has a chart holder on top of the yoke. I have a thick cover on the Ipad which I open and place the cover in the chart plate holder. It does semi-block some instruments, but is the best solution I have come up with. The right side yoke is occupied with a Garmin 696 or I would use a RAM mount on that side.

And yes to Foreflight.

Barry

Welcome to POA....:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:..

And yes to Foreflight.

Barry
Barry, this sounds like a good solution, if you get a chance, maybe you can take a pic of it and post it? I can't quite picture it, but it sounds like a good idea.

And yes, Welcome to the POA! :)

I'd say Foreflight and Jepp TC. (not a NOS fan)

FlightControl is pretty good too.

Your post sent me looking for a good note-taking application; after reading a lot of reviews, I ended up downloading Notability; their newest version is on sale this week only for 99 cents... that's a lot less than the $7.99 they're asking for Notes Plus.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8

Developer's website: http://www.gingerlabs.com/cont/notability.php
When I bought Notes Plus it was 99¢. I also bough Penultimate for the same price. Haven't played with Notability.

I'm still undecided between ForeFlight and WingX Pro. My ForeFlight subscription expires in April, so I'd better decide soon! WingX Pro wins for me on features, but ForeFlight seems to win on usability. I say seems because I started using it 6 months before I used WingX Pro, so that gives it a huge advantage. If you start with WingX Pro and it's features (like split screen, and all the devices it supports), your decision could very easily go the other way.

So take that as two of my choices, and put FlightPlanHD as my third. Of course, for W&B calculations, give Jesse's application a shot!

And Captain, welcome to PoA! This time I got to beat Ben!

For me the differance between Foreflight and wingX came down to this:

Wing X had some cool features. I liked the panels mostly. However, whenever you pinch to zoom on Wing X the route disappears. That means you can't zoom into a portion of your route without possibly losing it.

Foreflight doesn't have that problem. When you pinch and zoom on Foreflight the route stays on screen so you can zoom in right away.

Seems like a small point, but in practice it made a huge differance for me as I pinch and zoom a lot throughout a flight.

There was a Garmin 796 recommendation for those who don't have iPad. Given the $1500 price difference, what makes it stand out versus iPad + foreflight/wingx?

There was a Garmin 796 recommendation for those who don't have iPad. Given the $1500 price difference, what makes it stand out versus iPad + foreflight/wingx?

I enjoy the iPad, because as long as I have it (or my phone for that matter) I can quickly and easily file a flight plan, plus I have all of my charts at my fingertips vs unruly paper charts.

I come from 30 years of Industrial Automation experience. In that world there are specialized, hardened devices for controlling critical processes. I have seen numerous attempts to accomplish the same functionality with personal computers and the like. They can be made to work and work well, but they do not have the reliability factor of controller technology that is specifically designed for the purpose.

That said, the IPad is not specifically designed for use as a specialized technology for gps navigation. The GPS systems seem to be designed for the purpose, from both a hardware and software standpoint. You don't have to go to the level of the 796 to enjoy such specifically designed technology. There are much less expensive units that provide such reliability.

I use an IPad and Foreflight, and did it with more confidence before a friend of mine told me about an experience he had with his IPad last Summer. He stepped out of the plane for a few minutes for a fuel/restroom stop. The IPad quit due to an overheat situation. His Garmin 396 that was setting in direct sunlight never hickupped.

This is antecdotal, but very telling. I love my Foreflight and IPad, but I keep a chart at hand and am always making note of the heading that I need to fly and correlating my position with the chart.

Foreflight is great, but I think that using it for source of navigation without a backup plan at the ready could be a really bad mistake. Even backing it up with a handheld GPS, preferably with WAAS capability would be a good plan. Even using the chart for primary and the Foreflight for secondary might be a good plan.

Also, never forget that ANY of these electronic contrivances are susceptible to dead batteries, internal electrical problems, or could just fall off their perch and get broken. Given that flying can be a life and death situation, I think that a belt and suspender approach is warranted.

My $0.02,

He stepped out of the plane for a few minutes for a fuel/restroom stop. The IPad quit due to an overheat situation. His Garmin 396 that was setting in direct sunlight never hickupped.

This is antecdotal, but very telling.
Happened to a friend of mine also. He and I were pre-flighting the airplane in the summer. I put my iPad in the cockpit in the shade. He put his on the wing of the airplane. His overheated; mine didn't.

The lesson I took from this was to not leave the iPad where he did.

Like anything (even paper) understanding the limitations of what you are using and using it properly are part of the equation. Imagine for instance that he left all his charts on the wing in a downpour. They could have ended up more useless that an overheated iPad. The iPad will recover; rainsoaked charts might not.

Leaving paper charts outside in a downpour may sound silly. Who would do that? Not many people. But, really, the only difference between the two is the pilot - who knows from childhood that soaked paper doesn't work that well but has to learn anew the limitations of the iPad.

My experience is that iPad 1 overheats more easily than the 2. Also, I had issues with an iPad 1 GPS but not the 2. The dedicated Garmin devices have better GPS performance. The XM weather product on a 796 is vastly superior to anything on the iPad. However, the iPad is more flexible and a great flight planning tool which a 796 can't do. In the end it depends on what you are looking for.

I never ever leave the iPad in direct sunlight. The thing is a heat sink and will absorb an amazing amount of heat in a very short time. And, like Mark said, I don't leave paper charts out in the rain.

I'd never shoot an approach based off an iPad, but I would feel fine planing and flying the enroute portion of a flight with iPad charts (Foreflight / wingX).

My experience is that iPad 1 overheats more easily than the 2. Also, I had issues with an iPad 1 GPS but not the 2. The dedicated Garmin devices have better GPS performance. The XM weather product on a 796 is vastly superior to anything on the iPad. However, the iPad is more flexible and a great flight planning tool which a 796 can't do. In the end it depends on what you are looking for.
Definitely. I still have my 396, mostly at this point for the XM weather capability and backup.

I'm not being argumentative. I'm just curious to know if you have seen the latest Foreflight with XM weather. It has only been available a couple of months.

I've had my iPad2 overheat on me once. I think it was in direct sinlight at the time. And I bought a white one specifically so it wouldn't absorb as much heat.

I've had my iPad2 overheat on me once. I think it was in direct sinlight at the time. And I bought a white one specifically so it wouldn't absorb as much heat.

DOH! I didn't think of that; I had the black one, and ordered a black one. I wonder how much of a difference it makes.

I'm not being argumentative. I'm just curious to know if you have seen the latest Foreflight with XM weather. It has only been available a couple of months.

No I haven't but I did look at some of the ForeFlight PR. While I sold my 396, I do miss the weather. I have Sirius weather in my plane but Avidyne doesn't show a lot of the available data. For example, on the 396, if you zoomed out on winds aloft you could see the flow lines and get a good overview. Zooming in got wind barbs. It was very useful. The Avidyne depiction is just a winds aloft chart for a location. In fact a 796 has much better weather depiction than a G1000 according to friends who use both. The problem with Garmin is cost. I would probably accept the limitations and go the iPad route if I didn't have it on the MFD (technically IFD for picky people).

DOH! I didn't think of that; I had the black one, and ordered a black one. I wonder how much of a difference it makes.
Probably little since the surface is not matte. Color counts but what counts even more is the glossiness of the surface and Ipad has plenty of that.

Back