iPad Frustration

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
This afternoon I turned on my iPad and my Safari browser area at the top of the screen was black with white letters in the address and tabs area. Before it was the opposite with white background and black letters. I usually keep tabs for USAirNet weather, AOPA forum and POA forum. My tabs were all gone. When I created new tabs and went back to the AOPA and POA sites, I was logged out of both forums even though I have the "stay logged in" box checked on both forums. I logged into POA again and looked at the new posts. I closed Safari down and came back after supper to look at POA. Again it was logged out. I checked my Safari settings to ensure it was allowing cookies and it is. I have not run any updates on my iPad. It was not this way this morning before lunch. This is so frustrating having to log in every time I come back to a forum.

Does Apple just change stuff on your iPad or install updates behind your back without your concurrance?

Anybody else experiencing this?

Sounds like you accidentally enabled private browsing mode. Click the icon to access your tabs and then click “private” in the top right corner to toggle. The browser chrome turns black in private mode and white in normal mode.

That was it! That solved my problem. I didn't realize there was a "private" mode, whatever that is.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Nonetheless, I still suspect that Apple pushes out undocumented updates from time to time. This belief is based on many years of unexplainable email problems by iThing users, always coming in waves, and with no other identifiable cause. I'll get dozens of them in a day, all from users whose email worked fine the day before, and then none for a year or two. I suspect silent patches.

The only advice I give now is to delete the account in the mail client and re-create it using the same settings. That always works. I have no idea why. But because these problems come in waves, neither do I have the time to try to figure out why. Deleting and re-creating the account in the email client always fixes it.

Rich

I do naught but private browsing on my iPad. And I try not to have any financial information on it either. Damn thing is awfully easily lost. If someone can break into it I want as little exposure as I can manage.

Come over to the dark side. dump that I thing.

At what point does a "silent update" become a malicious, 'planned obsolescence' bug?

At what point does a "silent update" become a malicious, 'planned obsolescence' bug?

I don't think they're malicious. I'm not even sure they're real. I just can't think of any alternative explanation for dozens of people all having the same problems with the same devices on the same days every so often.

That's also one of the main reasons I never bought an iPhone. Email is what I care most about, and I've been unimpressed with the iPhone's mail handling. Other than initial set up assistance for the profoundly tech-impaired, literally 100 percent of my tickets related to mail clients have been from iThing users for at least the past seven years.

Rich

Last edited:
I think a disgruntled employee will eventually let the hat out of the bag that they have been inserting P.O. (planned obsolescence) bugs into our devices so that they will gradually become non functional. Had it happen or heard of it happen too many times.
It will be akin to the nefarious software that VW et al were proven to be inserting into their vehicles.

Back