Ipad / Foreflight questions............

Fatherof2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fatherof2
Hi Gang,

I have a few questions about this combo.

1. I plan to use a Mini. Anybody have experience with an older model? Foreflight recommends the Mini 4. Should I pony up?

2. Is an external GPS a must?

3. Is the basic foreflight plan fine for a casual VFR pilot or is the Plus plan a better call.

Thanks All!

I use Foreflight with an old Ipad Mini 2.

I use the internal GPS on the iPad Mini 2, I have a unit that supports both wifi and cell service.

I can't really answer question 3.

HTH,

J

2. A must? Only if you have a WiFi only iPad. The iPads that can connect to the net via cell towers have the GPS chip built in.

A minor downside is that the cell and GPS antennas are a bit of a power hog and can drain the battery faster than if they are switched off via airplane mode and your connected to an external GPS source such as the Stratus or similar.

1. I have the Mini Retina and FF runs without issues. I believe the suggestion of the Mini 4 is based on the models currently in stores today.

3. Basic versus plus is a personal call based on what features you want and difficult for us to answer for you. If you dig a bit deeper on th subscription page, there is a small bit of a la carte pricing. For me, I don't mind paying for the Pro features since I use them all and I want to support the FF team so they will continue to develop and improve this product.

Hi Gang,

I have a few questions about this combo.

1. I plan to use a Mini. Anybody have experience with an older model? Foreflight recommends the Mini 4. Should I pony up?

2. Is an external GPS a must?

3. Is the basic foreflight plan fine for a casual VFR pilot or is the Plus plan a better call.

Thanks All!

Lately version of FF requires 9.2 iOS at at min, I don't know if gen 1 mini supports it

32G mini2 w/ internal gps here, it's basically a dedicated appliance for ForeFlight Pro.

I use Foreflight with a mini-3 with built in GPS. Works great, and I have no complaints. I've heard some say that foreflight is starting to "run slow". I think "run slow" is relative. If it was 10 years ago, we would be shocked how fast it runs.

While I don't use all of the features that ForeFlight has added over the years, they have done admirable job of keeping things snappy on older hardware and avoiding bloat. I wish I could say the same for Apple.

Last edited:
I run on a Mini 2, and it is fast enough. The only feature that bothers me from a performance perspective is the scratch-pad. Drawing with my finger is a little too unresponsive. I'd get a Mini 4 if I were you. And as mentioned above, I'd get the cellular model so that you have integrated GPS.

Last edited:
I use a mini 2, fire flight pro SV, plenty fast, never had to wait for anything to happen, that said I don't update to the newer iOS bloat ware.

The internal GPS (cellular model) is a must for me, I don't like dragging junk around with me.

But yeah, from low and slow VFR float ops to IFR ops in the flight levels, I've been happy, it's also great to store PDFs of your POH etc.

The primary reason I got FF Pro for VFR flight was for geo-referenced taxi diagrams. I hated to have to pay for the whole PRO package just for that, but it was still worth it because I fly to a lot of new airports.

I've found great deals on almost new iPads at pawnshops. When people get hard up those kinds of things are the first to go. I bought an almost new one a couple years ago for cheap!

The primary reason I got FF Pro for VFR flight was for geo-referenced taxi diagrams. I hated to have to pay for the whole PRO package just for that, but it was still worth it because I fly to a lot of new airports.
As much as I like ForeFlight (been using it for 6 years), if I were VFR only I would be using something else for this very reason.

I use FF on a first generation full size iPad Air. I hate the hassle of upgrading computer hardware so tend to run it until the wings fall off. Like James331 I tend to delay or avoid operating system upgrades as long as the current version is doing the job.

Only mistake I made was not buying the iPad with an internal GPS. I use a Garmin GLO. Works fine, but I see no advantage over the built-in, so when I finally have to replace the iPad for any reason it'll be one with the GPS.

I use FF Pro, but for VFR only start with the basic subscription. You can always upgrade at any time if you decide you need/want more bells and whistles.

Pre IFR, I loved the Geo Reference for taxi diagram feature in FF as I went into a lot of larger unfamiliar airports. The upgrade was money well spent IMO for me.

I have a Mini 2 and no problem but technology and updates move fast so I would get the latest if you are gonna spend the money. I had to ditch my older iPad as it was no longer supported when I started using FF.

I have two mini-2s that I use with FF Pro and they both work fine. 32GB is the absolute minimum memory if you want to load it with IFR and VFR charts for the continental US and 64 GB allows that plus useful extras like a music library and pdf copies for all the equipment in your airplane(s).

But unless you can buy the older mini-2 for a really low price or you already own one I strongly recommend going with a 4. I suspect that the 2 will become "obsolete" within a few years so the extra cost of a newer model could well turn out to be less expensive in the long run and the 4s do have a better display plus more speed.

I do not have F/F now, but was considering getting it on my iPad for a cross country, Is it worth it for 1 long cross country? which one to get?

...I suspect that the 2 will become "obsolete" within a few years...

You could be right. When I bought my iPhone from AT&T a couple of months ago, they were offering the Mini 2 for a ridiculously low price, but since I already had one, it didn't really make sense. (It may have been a package deal with my iPhone.)

I do not have F/F now, but was considering getting it on my iPad for a cross country, Is it worth it for 1 long cross country? which one to get?
Maybe. Maybe not.

If the idea is to use it for one cross country, not before, I wouldn't bother. Like any other piece of sophisticated software, there's a learning curve. If you don't have time to learn how to use it beforehand, the functionality that would make it a great tool will likely make it more of a distraction than an aid. You'd probably come back from the trip and post what an awful POS it is and why do so many people like it. (And that's even though, with the 30 day trial, you'd probably have it for free for the trip)

I still recall going up with a friend to act as a lookout while he practiced with it in flight. Commercial certificate, instrument rating, excellent pilot. Pretty familiar with software (actually, he writes software for a living). Good thing he had another pilot on board. His distraction level was enormous. Flew like a presolo student on his second or third lesson.

What will the cost of the paper charts be for the same trip? Is it worth the delta to get foreflight to have moving maps, easy to digest weather, well organized pre-flight imagery, super easy flight planning and filing? Only you can answer that for you. For me it was a no-brainer.

Maybe. Maybe not.

If the idea is to use it for one cross country, not before, I wouldn't bother. Like any other piece of sophisticated software, there's a learning curve. If you don't have time to learn how to use it beforehand, the functionality that would make it a great tool will likely make it more of a distraction than an aid. You'd probably come back from the trip and post what an awful POS it is and why do so many people like it. (And that's even though, with the 30 day trial, you'd probably have it for free for the trip)

I still recall going up with a friend to act as a lookout while he practiced with it in flight. Commercial certificate, instrument rating, excellent pilot. Pretty familiar with software (actually, he writes software for a living). Good thing he had another pilot on board. His distraction level was enormous. Flew like a presolo student on his second or third lesson.
Perhaps, but if all Tom uses it for is keeping track of his position on a VFR moving map there's not too much to learn. That said if I were him I'd learn how to access SUA and airport data prior to using it in flight.

I'm having a hard time mentally processing this because I can hardly imagine going back to the world of paper charts, telephone briefings, and planning a flight on the living room floor. That said Tom, I suggest that you look at this as an opportunity to expose yourself to some of the many advantages offered by electronic flight planning and cross country navigation. ;)

I'm having a hard time mentally processing this because I can hardly imagine going back to the world of paper charts, telephone briefings, and planning a flight on the living room floor. That said Tom, I suggest that you look at this as an opportunity to expose yourself to some of the many advantages offered by electronic flight planning and cross country navigation. ;)
Advice taken, I have a young CFI booked to come by and do a couple hours of teaching the ins and outs.

Perhaps, but if all Tom uses it for is keeping track of his position on a VFR moving map there's not too much to learn. That said if I were him I'd learn how to access SUA and airport data prior to using it in flight.
If that were all it was being used for, I wouldn't spend the money on ForeFlight. I'd use a less expensive or free app.

1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes

FltPlan Go is free - I would use that for basic vfr along with google maps. Save the money. No need for ForeFlight for this when free options exist.

FltPlan Go is free - I would use that for basic vfr along with google maps. Save the money. No need for ForeFlight for this when free options exist.
Yes, FltPlan Go is free, agreed.
But it is also a pretty sh*tty and buggy app, no question about it. And the support guy is very rude and uncooperative. He puts the lack of understanding by his code monkeys ahead of the actual needs of customers/pilots.
So you get exactly what you pay for.

I have both, FF and FPG.
FF is my primary chart app because it is good, reliable and bugs are fixed in a timely manner.
I rely on FF for charts, approach plates etc. And I know that when I need a chart, I will have it.
FPG is a backup toy app, just in case.

YMMV

But it is also a pretty sh*tty and buggy app, no question about it. And the support guy is very rude and uncooperative. He puts the lack of understanding by his code monkeys ahead of the actual needs of customers/pilots.

I have both, FF and FPG.
FF is my primary chart app because it is good, reliable and bugs are fixed in a timely manner.
I rely on FF for charts, approach plates etc. And I know that when I need a chart, I will have it.

YMMV

But like you said, it's free, frankly I'm surprised there even is a tech guy to call

Exactly, it's like needing a little two carry 3 people, so instead of renting a C152 you rent a C90, if it's just for a single simple VFR XC, just download fltplan go, or use paper.

FF is an impressive piece of software. Not perfect, but close, and constantly improving. I'm happy to pay the fee for that.

But like you said, it's free, frankly I'm surprised there even is a tech guy to call
I'm not. An EFB, even a free one, that runs on iOS, Android and Windows (is there any other that runs on Windows now?) has to have a couple of tech folks hanging out somewhere.

I have both, FF and FPG.

YMMV

Read the OP. Casual vfr flyer. Not flying IFR or needing approach plates.

Still feel the same way?

If he said IFR and filing flight plans, that is a different animal.

For long time I used a wifi only mini ipad with an external gps. I finally got sick of fooling with that extra box in the cockpit, so I gave my old mini to my daughter and got a refurb cell system capable mini. I didn't sign up for cell service because you get the mini's internal gps for 'free'.

I think the external gps was slightly more accurate than the mini's internal, but not enough to make any operational difference. My mini will run FF for about three hours. I carry an external battery that will run it all day, so I don't have to connect to airplane power.

Today I learned: 1) that I have an original mini, not a mini 2. <shrug> that's cool. 2) That an apple store sales person will lie to your face to make a sale on a mini 4 even though the mini 5 comes out in 3 weeks. 3) I'll be returning a mini 4 on Monday.

For long time I used a wifi only mini ipad with an external gps. I finally got sick of fooling with that extra box in the cockpit, so I gave my old mini to my daughter and got a refurb cell system capable mini. I didn't sign up for cell service because you get the mini's internal gps for 'free'.

I think the external gps was slightly more accurate than the mini's internal, but not enough to make any operational difference. My mini will run FF for about three hours. I carry an external battery that will run it all day, so I don't have to connect to airplane power.
I hear what you are saying about the external GPS, but I use a Bad Elf Pro. One more thing to carry, but I use it for other things as well and it it small enough that it isn't too much trouble. It is useful for geotagging pictures. It also seems to work better on a commercial jet since I can put it more easily near the small window. Last time I flew a C172, the wing blocked enough satellites that the GPS lost lock sitting in a pocket. I just took it out and put it on the glare shield where it started working again. In the meantime, I started getting my location with landmarks and comparing them to the "sectional", just like old time aviators did :p

Been using FF since it came out and I can't imagine going back to paper. For situational awareness it is just great. Some flights in my Mooney span several states and there's no way I'll be packing VFR, IFR, and approach plates for half the country. All of the above live comfortably in my mini2 64 gb and in my iPhone for backup. I have the WIFI version because I use a stratus 2 for GPS and weather. I love FF and it gets great support. I have the pro version and, frankly, even if I was VFR only I would still be using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where is the best place to buy an I-pad cellular version and not activate the cellular service? Do you have to buy direct from Apple?

You can buy it wherever.

I use what I already had - Air 2 without cellular/internal GPS. I bought a PiFly external box that sits on the dash and runs off a USB plug in the cigarette lighter. The upside to this is that I also get ADSB-in traffic on ForeFlight.

Back