IPAD app for European travel?

W. Stewart

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
W. Stewart
I have an IPAD that I use exclusively for Foreflight. We are going to Spain soon and I figured there must be some good app that would help us drive around (Internal GPS), and maybe even some apps with tourist sights, etc.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks.

Wells

Can't you just use Google Navigation?

I would think that takes data download to get the maps. One does NOT want to be paying for data in Euroe. Very expensive! AAMOF turn off cell data and data roaming before you get on the plane and don't turn it on again until you're back in the USA.

I still use paper maps, but I've started renting Tom Toms as well when overseas. It's deadly useful for finding your hotel! Think about it - all major sights you would drive to don't even need a map. You will see road signs to find them.

Good luck with hotels having their own road sign. And if you are in a town with lots of one way streets, Tom Tom is even more useful.

I have used Navigon map app sofware with good success in the U.S. and the British Isles.

If you plan to visit Barcelona, make sure you eat at Ciudad Contal - the best tapas in town by far !

You can locate the restaurant on Trip Advisor

City Maps 2go

Allows you to cache maps of many places worldwide and you can drop pins at your sites or hotels. Works without a data connection. You can bookmark your pins and then when that pull down opens it will list the distance to each pin from your present location.

Doesn't give directions or a magenta line though between you and a destination, but you can follow the streets and see your blue dot on the map.

Co-worker of mine was in Italy a few weeks ago and said it worked great when they were in Florence and Venice.

Thanks to all for the replies. I installed Tom Tom Western Europe on the iPAD and will see how that goes.

Wells

I HIGHLY recommend "Off Maps". You download the maps into a program that seamlessly works with the iPads AGPS . The European maps have probably the best detail but I have used it all over the world. Check it out at the App store.

Back