iPad and iPhone question

Chip_pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chip_pilot
If you already have an iPhone and have purchased apps, will they load to your new iPad?

They will load. However, the problem with iPhone apps on an iPad is they come up iPhone size. There is a 2X button that makes the app fill the iPad screen, but the resolution is then terrible. To do it right developers really need to make a different app written specifically for the iPad. Many have done so.

I don't know how big a deal it is to do both versions. I hope our very own iPhone app developer Jesse can enlighten us.

Yes, they will load. AND they will typically load the iPad native version of the app if it is available.

Which is another reason to buy either all apple or all Droid. Don't want to have to pay for apps twice.

I don't know how big a deal it is to do both versions. I hope our very own iPhone app developer Jesse can enlighten us.
It really depends on the application, but in general it will add more work. Often you'll want the UI to be a bit different as you have more space to work with. So you end up essentially maintaining two sets of "views".

and, as i recently found out, the settings in the apps you may have in your iphone will not be copied/replicated to the ipad.

my W&B settings are in my iphone, and even though I backed it up first before using the ipad to itunes for the first time, the app was loaded onto the ipad but I had to re-setup all my W&B info.

Yes, they will load. AND they will typically load the iPad native version of the app if it is available.

That actually depends on the developer.

There are three things that can happen:

1) The developer has only released an iPhone version of the app. If this is the case, you can run them in a tiny spot in the middle of the screen, or as a "2x" version like Lance describes.

2) The developer has included both iPhone and iPad views in the same app - These apps are the ones that have a little "+" in the corner of the price buttons on the store. In this case, you'll have a nice iPad-native version of the app without having to do anything additional.

3) The developer has written separate iPhone and iPad apps. Some developers, rather than adding iPad views to their iPhone apps, split them into two separate apps so they could charge you more money by making you pay them again to get the iPad app. Bad form, IMO, and luckily it's not too common. If this is the case, you'll basically get the iPhone-only version on the iPad just as in case 1) above, but if you want the nice iPad-native version you'll have to pay again. (Be sure you let the developer know how you feel.)

I actually don't have a whole lot of apps that I use on both devices - I discovered fairly quickly that most apps really shine on one device or the other. For an app like ForeFlight, it is so much nicer on the iPad with all that screen real estate that I rarely use it on the iPhone any more. OTOH, I don't like TweetDeck's implementation on the iPad and I often use it in situations where I don't have the iPad with me (though I do still have it on both devices). There are actually quite a few apps whose functionality is fairly simple that work great on a one-handed small-screen device like the iPhone but wouldn't be as useful on the relatively bigger and clunkier iPad.

Back