iPad - an EFB?

<Banned Spammer software> is currently the most popular and powerful iPad to Computer converting software. With iPad to Computer Transfer, you can be a veteran of convert transfer videos, music, photos and file folders from iPad to computer.
<banned spammer software> is very easy-to-use, no matter you are a practician or a green hand, you can hand it without trouble. What are you waiting for? Now Free download this best iPad to Computer transfer to enjoy music on your iPad. :eek::crazy:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :cornut:

That is just AWESOME! And Norton didn't even scream when I tried to go to the site!

EDIT: The poster was a spammer, I thought it was someone making fun of a crap piece of software. I took out the spammer info, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the whole thing 'cause it's so darned funny!

Last edited:
PilotAlan - please unquote that post. It just helps the spammer out. I spam banned them.

Last edited:
There is program called Good Reader for the iPad and iPhone. I do know for a fact that you can download PDF Plates directly to the iPad using this program just by browsing to the page that contains the links. I have downloaded them for the states around my area wirelessly.

This app also allows you to sync files via iTunes on an iPad.

But...I also second the ForeFlight recommendation. I use it regularly and love it.

-Mike

There is program called Good Reader for the iPad and iPhone. I do know for a fact that you can download PDF Plates directly to the iPad using this program just by browsing to the page that contains the links. I have downloaded them for the states around my area wirelessly.

This app also allows you to sync files via iTunes on an iPad.

But...I also second the ForeFlight recommendation. I use it regularly and love it.

-Mike
Here is a demo using Good and nacomatic

When I click to play, I get "An error occured, please try again later."

It made me :rofl:

(Most likely an available computer may not have the "iPad sync software" loaded)

I don't even think about starting up my plane without my Air on board--can't fly without air.

Ok.. so today I stop by the Apple Store. All they have in stock is the 64GB WiFi only models. $699

Well, they're selling like mad. The 3G models aren't out yet, they'll be out on the 30th and likely in short supply for a while as well.

So here's the deal.. no USB port, no SD Card capability. How can I put pdf document files (NACO or PDFPlates) on the iPad. "You can't"
WiFi file exchange from home? "Nope"
WiFi to the internet and download? "Nope"
"Well.. you can download and view them.. but you can't save them.."
.. What?? Wait.. What was that?

"You need a PDF App, from the Apple Store no less, ok.. $3-$9.. you need to download them to a computer... and SYNC the files with the PDF Reader App, iPad and the computer to transfer them to the iPad for storage and use."

Wait.. I'm out of town, with the iPad.. no computer I can use nearby, I have wifi access at the local coffee shop. I can't go out on the internet and download the latest NACO or PDFPlates update directly into the iPad and save it...??? "NOPE"
(Most likely an available computer may not have the "iPad sync software" loaded)

Whoever told you that is an idiot. Sure, that's not a function of Apple's built-in software, but they're always hyping the App Store so much, you'd think they'd know a few of the more popular apps. GoodReader will do what you need, for a buck.

Of course, I'd recommend ForeFlight instead - Then you'll have all the other airport info (A/FD, AOPA directory, etc.), Sectionals, high and low enroute charts, etc plus you'll be able to plan, brief, and file for your next flight when you get back on the ground. It's an excellent piece of software.

Last edited:
Well, they're selling like mad. The 3G models aren't out yet, they'll be out on the 30th and likely in short supply for a while as well.

Whoever told you that is an idiot. Sure, that's not a function of Apple's built-in software, but they're always hyping the App Store so much, you'd think they'd know a few of the more popular apps. GoodReader will do what you need, for a buck.

Of course, I'd recommend FlightAware instead - Then you'll have all the other airport info (A/FD, AOPA directory, etc.), Sectionals, high and low enroute charts, etc plus you'll be able to plan, brief, and file for your next flight when you get back on the ground. It's an excellent piece of software.

Assume you meant ForeFlight??

Also looks like RAM mounts will be releasing something in June that could be used for yoke mounting...

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/AppleiPadMounts/tabid/2614/Default.aspx

Well... I got my iPad last night. I actually waited in line, first time I've ever done that for anything - But since I went to Best Buy instead of the Apple Store right across the parking lot, I was about 8th in line and had no problem walking out with my desired 64GB WiFi+3G iPad.

Today, I got to fly with it. I have ForeFlight HD installed (first app I downloaded). Very slick - And since I had opened ForeFlight prior to leaving the ground, and didn't use anything else, I got a nice accurate location on the VFR and IFR low enroute charts. Worked so well I started wishing the plates were georeferenced. :yes:

The screen should not be an issue with a yoke mount. For some people, if they have it on their thigh so it's reflecting sky from the front windscreen, it might be more difficult to read, but that's what I was doing and it's quite possible. I was also able to read an approach plate just fine outside the airplane where it was bright and sunny.

One tip: The little switch next to the volume buttons locks the orientation. If you're going to fly an approach, lock it in portrait mode, especially because ForeFlight seems to have a bug (which I reported) that results in a display oddity if you switch orientations while looking at an approach plate. I'm sure they'll have it fixed soon, but I don't know why you'd ever want to look at a plate in landscape mode, so I think the tip will still apply.

As far as battery life, it's flat-out stupendous. 13 hours, 23 minutes to kill it today. Wow! I was even trying to kill it at the end - I started playing The Matrix at the lobby scene when the battery hit 10%, figuring that'd kill it by the end of the scene. I finished the movie and still had 5% left over, so I flew around in the F-22 Raptor in X-Plane for a while to finish it off. :) I plugged it in about 3.5 hours ago and it's back up to 90%, so it should be easily usable in an airplane without having to use external power even if you have several legs to fly.

The screen is purty. I was playing One Six Right on it today too, and the flight scenes look great!

As far as issues: I had some sync problems last night - The second time I synced it, it uninstalled all my apps for some reason, and then it installed them all again on the 3rd sync. (I hear there's a new version of iTunes, 9.1.1, that's supposed to make things better.) A lot of things seem like they were a bit rushed to market - For example, ForeFlight doesn't have all the features on the iPad that it has on the iPhone - But that's mainly because developers had VERY little time between receiving the SDK and the deadline for having their apps submitted to be in the store on day 1, so I think there will be a lot of improvement in short order.

With that in mind - It's not perfect yet, but it's gonna be a lot closer in about 6 months, IMHO. It's good enough to be worthwhile now, especially as an EFB, but there are still some things (like lack of printing support - especially on a platform with a word processor!) that I think are going to be fixed right around the corner.

At least everything that's there seems to work very well - So I guess "fixed" is maybe the wrong word. Nothing's "broken," just more like "missing." Printing, document sync with the cloud for the productivity apps, features in some of the third-party apps, etc. But what it is today is still very drool-worthy.

Oh... And it's a chick magnet. :D

Well... I got my iPad last night. I actually waited in line, first time I've ever done that for anything - But since I went to Best Buy instead of the Apple Store right across the parking lot, I was about 8th in line and had no problem walking out with my desired 64GB WiFi+3G iPad.

Today, I got to fly with it. I have ForeFlight HD installed (first app I downloaded). Very slick - And since I had opened ForeFlight prior to leaving the ground, and didn't use anything else, I got a nice accurate location on the VFR and IFR low enroute charts. Worked so well I started wishing the plates were georeferenced. :yes:

The screen should not be an issue with a yoke mount. For some people, if they have it on their thigh so it's reflecting sky from the front windscreen, it might be more difficult to read, but that's what I was doing and it's quite possible. I was also able to read an approach plate just fine outside the airplane where it was bright and sunny.

One tip: The little switch next to the volume buttons locks the orientation. If you're going to fly an approach, lock it in portrait mode, especially because ForeFlight seems to have a bug (which I reported) that results in a display oddity if you switch orientations while looking at an approach plate. I'm sure they'll have it fixed soon, but I don't know why you'd ever want to look at a plate in landscape mode, so I think the tip will still apply.

As far as battery life, it's flat-out stupendous. 13 hours, 23 minutes to kill it today. Wow! I was even trying to kill it at the end - I started playing The Matrix at the lobby scene when the battery hit 10%, figuring that'd kill it by the end of the scene. I finished the movie and still had 5% left over, so I flew around in the F-22 Raptor in X-Plane for a while to finish it off. :) I plugged it in about 3.5 hours ago and it's back up to 90%, so it should be easily usable in an airplane without having to use external power even if you have several legs to fly.

The screen is purty. I was playing One Six Right on it today too, and the flight scenes look great!

As far as issues: I had some sync problems last night - The second time I synced it, it uninstalled all my apps for some reason, and then it installed them all again on the 3rd sync. (I hear there's a new version of iTunes, 9.1.1, that's supposed to make things better.) A lot of things seem like they were a bit rushed to market - For example, ForeFlight doesn't have all the features on the iPad that it has on the iPhone - But that's mainly because developers had VERY little time between receiving the SDK and the deadline for having their apps submitted to be in the store on day 1, so I think there will be a lot of improvement in short order.

With that in mind - It's not perfect yet, but it's gonna be a lot closer in about 6 months, IMHO. It's good enough to be worthwhile now, especially as an EFB, but there are still some things (like lack of printing support - especially on a platform with a word processor!) that I think are going to be fixed right around the corner.

At least everything that's there seems to work very well - So I guess "fixed" is maybe the wrong word. Nothing's "broken," just more like "missing." Printing, document sync with the cloud for the productivity apps, features in some of the third-party apps, etc. But what it is today is still very drool-worthy.

Oh... And it's a chick magnet. :D

Thanks for the report. I'm in wait mode, more or less. I bought a 32 GB WiFi model for my bride yesterday. She has back issues which cause pain in her back and hip and leg and it hurts her to have the laptop sitting on her legs. I thought this would do a good job of mitigating that issue. It will also give me a chance to see how well it works and what kind of bugs there might be and watch it mature before sinking money into a full blown 3G model for myself.

Ok,.. now I'm waiting for the full report on your Podcast / VideoCast. Having the 3G connectivity will be very nice for all around updates just like the iphone. Still, with 64GB of memory, you could cache just about all the plates and sectionals out there right?

Aviation Mentor has a nice Blog write up on the use of the Ipad as an EFB too with some recent posts about the various RAM mounts and other kneeboards.

Last edited:
Ok,.. now I'm waiting for the full report on your Podcast / VideoCast. Having the 3G connectivity will be very nice for all around updates just like the iphone. Still, with 64GB of memory, you could cache just about all the plates and sectionals out there right?

All of the data available through ForeFlight (Sectionals, TACs, high and low enroutes, plates, airport diagrams, airport database) including international data takes up 7 gigs and change, so even a 16GB iPad would do the trick, as long as you didn't fill it up with movies, music and books too. ;)

I am also waiting a little longer for a few more reviews. I might dump the Fujitsu tablet for the iPad if the reviews are good. I told myself that I would never buy an Apple product, but you know what they say, "Never say never."

John

I am also waiting a little longer for a few more reviews. I might dump the Fujitsu tablet for the iPad if the reviews are good. I told myself that I would never buy an Apple product, but you know what they say, "Never say never."

Hey John,

Welcome aboard - I see you have a link to Green Castle in your signature, I'm a member there too! I'd be happy to show you my iPad sometime.

I got a good laugh out of today's AvWeb video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8NhnjnJ6ws

$1195 for a black and white ebook reader that requires a stylus? It's slow and kludgy and doesn't do half of what the iPad will do either for aviation or otherwise, and the most expensive iPad is over 30% cheaper!

That is why I'm so excited about the iPad, because expensive junk like the above is what I've been seeing for the last 5 years that I've been looking for something to do plates. The iPad with ForeFlight does way more - VFR charts, preflight weather, etc - and it is way faster. I don't want to have to wait for screen updates to see the minimums on the chart!

I look forward to flying with the iPad again soon. :yes:

I saw that as well. I like the Jepp charts, but not for the kind of money they are asking for it. I PM'd you.

John

Hey guys,

I normally dont post much here, but I thougth I would share that I got an iPad a few weeks ago. I have planned several flights with it, and I have taken it on the road a few times. Mine is not 3G, but I have access to enough wifi to do everything that I need. I use foreflight and a PDF reader. It works great so far.

I have the 64GB iPad 3G and have ForeFlight and SkyCharts Pro loaded. I plan a flight to ALO tomorrow for a flight breakfast and AOPA open house event. I plan to get some pictures and do a short review. From early indications from using the unit while driving, I do like the fact that there are GS, altitude and other flight information on the SkyCharts that the ForeFlight doesn't have now.

John

Just a quick FYI, Jeppesen will be launching an iPad app around OshKosh time (end of July early August).

The iPad app is in the iTunes store now.

Free to all existing owners of JeppView and/or NavSuite!

I helped out at the ForeFlight booth for part of several days at Oshkosh - They were swamped. Walking down the aisle, it looked like ants on cake. The new touch planning features are very cool. A lot of iPads were sold this past week...

I helped out at the ForeFlight booth for part of several days at Oshkosh - They were swamped. Walking down the aisle, it looked like ants on cake. The new touch planning features are very cool. A lot of iPads were sold this past week...

But tell us what you think of the product and the platform. :wink2:

The Jepp iPad app is great since my buddy has a navdata subscription for his G600.- but it will probably cost $1,000 a year for those who don't, as compared to Foreflight. Biggest thing missing from Foreflight and the iPAD is the ability to do real time downloads via XM/Sirius, as well as the ability to use an external BT GPS.

. . . as well as the ability to use an external BT GPS.

I am using my Haicom BT GPS receiver on my iPad. I took the advice of another person on the Red Board and performed a jailbreak on it. While I was typically getting 5m to 10m accuracy, after the jailbreak I am getting anywhere between 0.70 to 0.85m accuracy now. :thumbsup:

John

We have received FAA approval for iPads in the cockpit under Part 135 (they have always been legal in the cockpit for Part 91 aircraft owners).
The iPad increases situational awareness and reduces pilot workload.. both of which increase safety. They are 100x better than any PC product on the market.. if I can use it in the cockpit, anyone can.
We will carry paper products for 6 months after which time we will go entirely paperless (AFM, GOM, OpSpecs all go on a shelf in the office).
We have FAA approval for ForeFlight and JeppTC and have found them both to be very user friendly.
As for applying to the FAA, we downloaded our FAA application from MaxManuals.com (shameless plug) and with a little bit of tweaking, submitted to the FAA in less than a week and had our A061 (FAA approval for the iPad) in 30 days..

eSTMP

PS, yes, you will be able to use your iPad all the way to the ground. You will need to have it tested for Rapid Decompression (we RD ours from FL510) and test it for Electromagnetic Interference on each model of aircraft you fly in. You can send your iPad out to be certified in which case it will come back with an etching on the back showing it has been tested and complies with a number of technical requirements.
Then the real battle begins.. getting your flight attendant/airline rep to recognized your effort, read the rules and regulations and then properly apply them in your particular situation.... should be a piece of cake... D

You will need to have it tested for Rapid Decompression (we RD ours from FL510) and test it for Electromagnetic Interference on each model of aircraft you fly in. You can send your iPad out to be certified in which case it will come back with an etching on the back showing it has been tested and complies with a number of technical requirements.

Only the Electromagentic Interference test is required. The FAA accepts representative sampling for rapid decompression testing for the iPad and iPad 2. Jeppesen will share their test lab data upon request to operators applying for A061 OpSpec approval using JeppTC. Jepp gave a presentation last week in HPN at the NBAA Regional Forum which discussed EJM's evaluation, validation, and approval processes and this was one of the topics covered. The added expense of RD testing for each device is not required.

Jeff, can you share the A061 approval and any change in OpSpecs as a result. Curious what one looks like. I know that some companies threat these as proprietary but I thought It's alk.

Everyone above mentions ForeFlight. Any opinion about its competitor - the Flight Guide iEFB? It is slightly more expensive but offers other info I would like to have - lodging, car rental, fuel prices, local attractions, etc all hyper-linked.

Are you aware those items are in FF also? Not hyper-linked, but on iPhone all the phone numbers are active links that launch a phone call to the business listed.

Not being argumentative, just pointing out that feature since many think FF is an iPad-only product. Your purchase of it entitles you to run it on your iPhone also which is quite useful for a quick weather check, Radar, maps, the lunchtime "where should we fly this weekend" conversation, etc.

No iPad required. In fact, at least one pilot I know is experimenting with using the iPhone on the RAM suction cup mount at basically eye level vs the larger iPad, in flight. The so-called "retina display" of the iPhone is easy to read and probably brighter than the iPad's screen in direct sunlight.

iPhone + FF is a pocket sized EFB and partial AF/D, really. I keep a checklist App on the iPhone and run FF on the iPad, but the iPhone can act as backup for the iPad in case of a failure.

When they make it for something besides douchepad I'll consider it.

Everyone above mentions ForeFlight. Any opinion about its competitor - the Flight Guide iEFB? It is slightly more expensive but offers other info I would like to have - lodging, car rental, fuel prices, local attractions, etc all hyper-linked.

As Nate pointed out, this info is present in ForeFlight as well. ForeFlight merges several data sources together for their airport info (FAA, AOPA airport directory, etc.) and I believe Flight Guide is one of them.

Are you aware those items are in FF also? Not hyper-linked, but on iPhone all the phone numbers are active links that launch a phone call to the business listed.
I understand but Flight Guide has simply a lot more info, not just phone numbers but the whole suite of info well illustrated - all internet linked (I personally don't care for hot phone links). But whether it is all worth the extra cost is debatable.

Last edited:
Flight Guide's strength has always been the airport diagrams (for every airport) and local information about what to expect at towered airports depending on the direction you are coming from. It passed on the information you might ask for if you were going to an unfamiliar airport but had a good friend to tell you what to expect.

Good stuff.

But I gave up the printed version when I bought a 495 with the AOPA database and haven't missed it. I see no reason to return to the electronic version based upon what FF gives me.

Back