iPad - an EFB?

Altitude limitation is interesting, considering the "disk" is flash drive.

I've had my iPhone up to 11.5+ and it survived. That's about as high as I'll go w/o O2 anyway.

The crushed water bottle I drank from was neat after I landed...

oh man, I love straight lines...

:)

I knew that would go over well here.. I have the I phone 3G-S..... its great (except for no flash, and no swappable battery)

If I need a tablet, I will grab a ruggedized toughbook CF18 used off Ebay for less than a grand.. I need something that will survive in a saddlebag as well as in a flight bag..

Well, we were speaking about the 17" MacBook Pro, so it must be available for them too. IIRC, the guy even said the store would put it on so there wouldn't be bubbles. I'm assuming they'd do MUCH better at that than I would. :yes:
For the MacBooks there are actually after market glass(Plastic really) replacements that are not glossy. I don't mind the glossy screen though. On my iTouch I put the sticky stuff on mainly as a way to protect the screen from scratches.

As for the iPad as an EFB....I would still need to occasional bring the laptop, especially on travels in case I needed to upgrade the GPS database. Now if the iPad had a USB, ran a real OS, had flash capabilities and had a DVD slot. Well I would be on the waiting list right now.

But with a promo like this from Apple:

"It's hard to see how something so simple, so thin and so light, could possibly be so capable." "it's going to change the way we do the things we do every day." "I don't have to change myself to fit the product ... it fits me."

I am not sure what it is I am buying. Is it a productivity tool of feminine hygiene care? One would be usuful to me, the other is the stuff I have to move out of the way to get to a new roll of toilet paper under the sink when the roll goes empty.

Last edited:

Last edited:
There is IMHO zero chance of Jeppview ever running on the Ipad. JV needs M$ Windoze which needs either an IBM PC compatible machine with an 80x86 processor (a PC or a modern-model Macbook :) ) or an emulator. But an emulator is going to be extremely slow unless it is running on an 80x86 processor... which the Ipad doesn't have.

What would be interesting, and more relevant to what is likely to be achievable, is how fast the built-in file browser is. This is relevant to loading up a lot of plates as PDFs and be able to select the desired one quickly. I have not yet seen an e-book which has a fast enough user interface (due to their very slow displays) but the Ipad is not an e-book...

IMHO the 10k altitude limit is a typo.

The Ipad is the best tablet out yet. The right size for pilots not quite yet on reading glasses :) and thin and light enough to be handled easily. The shame is that if one looks at corporate-grade laptop technology, it could have been built 6-7 years ago. It wasn't built because the tablet market had gone totally vertical, resulting in products such as Xplore and Motion (warehousing and medical markets, etc) which made thick heavy and fairly rugged products. And now they have built a reasonably thin tablet, they have built it as a computer which can run only applications approved by Apple. It's good for Apple I am sure but it's a wasted opportunity.

However, as I say the technology is here and it won't be long before more normal IBM-PC 80x86-processor based tablets of similar size appear, capitalising on the Apple fashion driven by its huge advertising budget, and these will enable Jeppview and FliteMap to be run natively. And with a keyboard you will be able to do all the flight planning on it too. I tried this in 2004 but failed miserably.

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense to me. There's no gas in an LCD with or without a touchscreen so there's nothing to "puff up". Also I don't believe that there is any non-operating altitude limit specified so if gas expansion was an issue, you couldn't even carry one in your baggage in an unpressurized airplane. My guess is as was already stated, the 10,000 ft limit was simply pasted from earlier products that used rotating magnetic media.

My guess is that heat dissipation is based on a relatively normal air density for air cooling. They have to draw the line somewhere..

Heat dissipation is an interesting possibility.

I did some work on the LS800 tablet a while ago
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/ls800/index.html

and despite fitting a solid state hard drive to overcome the guaranteed HD crash ~ 13000ft, the thing used to overheat anyway in the thin air. I had to fit a really tacky fan on the back of it.

I would expect the Ipad to generate a lot less heat (the LS800 is 1990s desktop PC technology, squeezed into a tight box with no fans) but the temperature rise, whatever it is, will probably double around 10000ft compared to sea level.

However, from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ where they say the battery is 25Wh and lasts for 10hrs, this suggests an internal dissipation of 2.5W which is pretty low for something of that size. It is bound to be a lot more though with the LCD backlight on full power.

Also, the tech specs on Apple's web site say "Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet". Anyone care to guess what happens if you take it higher? Does this thing have any moving parts? Chris

Generally most hard drives in consumer products such as the iphone or a laptop have 10,000 limitations. I've spent a lot of my living at very close to 10,000 in colorado, however, and never really noticed a problem. I can't say what happens to hard drives at 11,000 or 15,000 or 20,000 ft though.

Generally most hard drives in consumer products such as the iphone or a laptop have 10,000 limitations. I've spent a lot of my living at very close to 10,000 in colorado, however, and never really noticed a problem. I can't say what happens to hard drives at 11,000 or 15,000 or 20,000 ft though.

No hard drive in the iPhone. Older iPods, iPod Minis, and the iPod Classic had hard drives, but the iPod Nano and iPod Touch are strictly Flash, as is the iPhone.

I'm betting on the cooling issue being the limiting factor, but it wouldn't surprise me if the real limit was higher than 10,000.

I'm betting on the cooling issue being the limiting factor, but it wouldn't surprise me if the real limit was higher than 10,000.
I thought it had something to do with a riding on a cushion of air... or something. At high altitudes the air doesn't provide much of a cushion. Of course that only is when the hard drive is running. My laptop has been to FL400+ numerous times in unpressurized baggage with no ill effects.

I thought it had something to do with a riding on a cushion of air... or something. At high altitudes the air doesn't provide much of a cushion. Of course that only is when the hard drive is running. My laptop has been to FL400+ numerous times in unpressurized baggage with no ill effects.

For spinning drives, yes. 10k is where problems can occur when they are running. For flash drives altitude isn't an issue when running because there's nothing spinning.

I thought it had something to do with a riding on a cushion of air... or something. At high altitudes the air doesn't provide much of a cushion. Of course that only is when the hard drive is running.

True for devices with hard drives, but the iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touches do not have hard drives - Nothing spinning, nothing riding on a cushion of air. Really no moving parts at all, except the buttons! Good for reliability. :yes:

I guess I should have been a little clearer in my previous post that the iPad's limitation of 10,000 feet *could* be a cooling issue (less air = less cooling airflow). I'm guessing it's probably more of a "copied it from the last set of limitations" issue, but we don't really know how much air is needed to cool the iPad under a heavy processor load.

Welcome to POA, JDPilot!

Well, I was just about to purchase the Garmin696 today. I haven't had a good impulse buy in a while but I have been saving for the occasion. However, i have decided to hold off until the ipad comes out. I know that my future iMaxiPad will not have all of the bells and whistles or the cockpit integration abilities that some require. Howerer, with a Foreflight subscription, it has the potential to offer most of the things that I want in an EFB ... for a lot less money.

Examples:
Large screen, works great in sunlight (based off of iphone experience,) potential for a matte display (screen protector,) great battery life, pre flight weather updates, possibly in flight if cell tower proximity is near(if i can't get a connection, I'll have to ATIS! :mad2:,) and every chart that I could ever want for the U.S.

This thing will not be ideal for bad weather night flying in mountain regions. However, these situations are not on my current to do list of future flights.

Of course, I would love to see true GPS support, WX, XM radio, and traffic warnings ... but at the low initial price I feel like a second or even third generation upgrade is not out of the question. Especially considering that I have $3500 available for a EFB at the moment.

$800 for the initial investment, say $50 a year for foreflight, and $150 for the AT&T service = $2500 left for future upgrades to the system!

Well, I was just about to purchase the Garmin696 today. I haven't had a good impulse buy in a while but I have been saving for the occasion. However, i have decided to hold off until the ipad comes out. I know that my future iMaxiPad will not have all of the bells and whistles or the cockpit integration abilities that some require. Howerer, with a Foreflight subscription, it has the potential to offer most of the things that I want in an EFB ... for a lot less money.

Examples:
Large screen, works great in sunlight (based off of iphone experience,) potential for a matte display (screen protector,) great battery life, pre flight weather updates, possibly in flight if cell tower proximity is near(if i can't get a connection, I'll have to ATIS! :mad2:,) and every chart that I could ever want for the U.S.

This thing will not be ideal for bad weather night flying in mountain regions. However, these situations are not on my current to do list of future flights.

Of course, I would love to see true GPS support, WX, XM radio, and traffic warnings ... but at the low initial price I feel like a second or even third generation upgrade is not out of the question. Especially considering that I have $3500 available for a EFB at the moment.

$800 for the initial investment, say $50 a year for foreflight, and $150 for the AT&T service = $2500 left for future upgrades to the system!

The big thing you'll be missing is simply in-flight weather. You will NOT get in-flight data unless you are over a VERY unpopulated area (only time it's ever worked for me, I couldn't see anything but trees in any direction). It'll say you have great signal, but it won't work - It'll get confused trying to figure out which one of the 47 towers it has line-of-sight to it should use.

But, with your $3500, I'd say that if you got an iPad + ForeFlight and used the rest for a Garmin Aera 510 or 560, you'd get all the capability of the 696 plus some, for a lot less money. :yes:

I'm only going to be doing VFR flying for a while yet, and most of my flights will be on routes that I know well. So I really want to figure out a way to make the iPad work as an EFB (of sorts) which could eventually make its way to the back up position when better equipment is required by the FAA.

To explore this potential, I did a little experiment:

Earlier today, I took off with a CFI from KBDU and flew to KFNL. Before take off, I secured my iPhone onto my clipboard and opened Foreflight. In the program, I simply planned the flight (range, estimated time in route, and heading) and got the winds aloft (to make a few degrees of correction.) This part seriously took about 2 minutes. The program also easily showed the weather, frequencies, runway information, airport diagrams, flight restriction, ect., all in a well organized manner.

Right after take off, I flipped down my favorite set of plastic sunglasses and went under the hood. We climbed up to 7500 ft and I turned the plane to the heading w/ winds aloft taken into consideration. During cruise, our ground speed turned out to be faster than I had expected, so I made a time correction to 16:30 in route.

I was somewhat disheartened after I flipped up the hood at 16:30 because the airport was not in sight... at first. It turns out, I was 2,500 agl above the center of the field. :yikes: I know it was dumb luck that we were spot on, but I think it proves that the iPad has some great potential. If only some kinks could get worked out of the system.

Throughout the flight, I had spot on 3g cell reception. I don't think I ever dropped more than a single bar, even while traveling 30 or so miles to te east. I know that it was working because I received multiple text messages throughout the flight.

NO:nono:, I didn't respond. I think it's irresponsible for the pilot to do anything else for safety reasons. As some of you might have already seen, there was a mid air 2 miles from our field today involving a Cirrus and a glider tug. The fast moving Cirrus missed the traffic and ran into the tugs cable. There's no definitive reason why this tragedy happened, but there is a chance it involved tunnel vision in the cockpit. So, I'm readily aware of the dangers and responsibilities involved when flying a plane.

However, it was extremely tempting to answer the text during the hoods lonely down time.:mad3:

After this initial success, we headed toward KXXX, which is XX miles to the East. I did not fly under the hood for this leg, but I did a similar prep method. Of course, it was spot on for a second time. However, on this leg I was testing the actual GPS. During the flight, it would correctly pin my exact location on a highly detailed chart. I think there could be some legal issues in this, so I'm not going to take advantage of this "feature" unless I have a real situation on my hands.

But, it does have some really affordable potential written all over it. With proper programming, this thing could really shine as a backup system to most and a primary tool for a few. I think the iPad has additional potential because it wont have text messages streaming in. A VFR pilot could easily hop from town to town with this, picking up weather and precise locations as cell reception kicked in.

As you might know by now, from this long winded post, I'm pretty excited about this iPad. The funny part is, this excitement is really only geared towards the aviation potential.

However, I do see a whole stream of problems associated with this entertainment based platform. Legality of cell receptions in the cockpit, incorrectly perceived reliability or false reliance, movies, music (<-fake problem, this would rock!) email, or whatever the latest Appstore video game is. That list goes on forever, and every single one could potentially lead to fatalities.

I personally believe the real issue is going to come down to programming in the end. This (or future versions) is my ideal EFB because its a powerful shell for creative minds to produce high quality products, without having to deal with whatever nightmares are involved in manufacturing such a device.

Personally, my iDeal iPad would be an iFly. A completely stripped version that only allows FAA approved apps. Programmers like Foreflight would have a lot to work with, especially if a WX chipset and real GPS chip become involved. Hell, even Garmin might want to get involved. However, their cost would have to drop significantly because of the contained market forces involved.

One of the strongest benefits of this platform is the cell tower access. It could auto update your charts, allow you to DUATs or plan on the ramp, and who knows what else will be thought of.

Regardless of how far the iPad ever gets in this awesome and expensive part of the aviation electronic market, I know that I will purchase one. If it falls through... well, then I guess that I'll have an iPad to play that latest game on.

Alright, I got my gigidy gigidy out of the way for this product. Now I'm off to sleep, probably to dreams of flying affordably.:rofl:

Last edited:
> whole country ... 4GB ... 3GB ...

Checkout the new "Lite" editions on NACOmatic.

In addition to screen brightness worries, we should also consider whether the screen
can be dimmed enough for use dark cockpit. But, this is generally a poor approach ...
as you dim the screen you also reduce the contrast. Checkout the "NightVision"
edition ... I've converted the IAPs from positive to negative.

However, it was extremely tempting to answer the text during the hoods lonely down time.:mad3:

I would think it would be an issue for your safety pilot to be texting, but since you are already head down (and assuming you can still fly the airplane, and don't miss any radio calls) is it an issue?

Legality of cell receptions in the cockpit,

That shouldn't be an issue since you are not using a "cell" phone as defined by the FCC regs that transmits on whatever frequencies that the old phones of the 1970's used...

That shouldn't be an issue since you are not using a "cell" phone as defined by the FCC regs that transmits on whatever frequencies that the old phones of the 1970's used...
Part 22 is still in effect and anytime a cellphone transmits in the 800MHz band this prohibition is in effect. The problem is that most phones are now multi-banded and you have no good idea when it would be operating in the 800MHz band. Be that as it may, the chances of getting in trouble with the FCC over this are about as close to zero as the FAA citing you for not updating a log book over a GPS database update.

The bigger issue for using cellphones in the cockpit is that cell systems are not optimized for airborne operation. The short message service is a best effort system and one will likely see better connectivity than with voice. YMMV, as each system in each market along with each technology. What works in one city may not work in the next one down your route of flight.

What works in one city may not work in the next one down your route of flight.

This definitely would be an issue if you were relying on the cell reception on a long cross country VFR. However, it shouldn't be hard to hop from town to town or airport to airport on a somewhat populated route. During this time, some sort of AWOS would probably be available. The main thing is not botching the navigational part of the flight. Even if this does happen, the pilot should have some sort of NDB in the area to head towards and get a reference point.

The system would be crude at best. I think tests are needed in other areas to see if it could have some uses.

Last edited:
I decided to get a new HP Touchsmart, which will be great for the NACO charts or Jeppview... but DANG - everyone wants more than a grand for XM WX hardware and software for a PC... I'm just going to buy a used 396. WXWorx and others are nuts to charge that much for the gear.

but DANG - everyone wants more than a grand for XM WX hardware and software for a PC

There is absolutely no way that a simple XM WX chip set should be more than a few hundred dollars. I mean, XM in a car is cheaper than an hour in the air. It's such a good safety reinforcement to have updated weather, but they price many of us out of it simply because they can. Guess I'll have to pay :nonod:

I got one - loaded NACOmatic charts and use a free app called Goodreader. Looks great.

Also have Foreflight and it looks fantastic too.

Allan

Here's what the new iPad kneeboard looks like. More images at the website:

ipad-kneeboard.jpg

Last edited:
Finally saw an iPad today. Incredible, just incredible. I use one of those strap on kneeboards and the iPad is approximately an inch larger all the way around than it. It will be so great having everything touch and right there. Won't be long before someone has a velcro strap for it like the iPhone.

Here's what the new iPad kneeboard looks like. More images at the website:

angle-sectional.jpg

So, uh... What keeps the little clipboard piece from touching the screen? The screens are very durable, but with it constantly hitting in the same place, I think there could be some serious issues. Also, flipping the clipboard up looks like it might get in the way of the yoke. Plus, ForeFlight has the "scratch pad" so you don't really need paper.

So, will you have one that's JUST for the iPad?

So, uh... What keeps the little clipboard piece from touching the screen? The screens are very durable, but with it constantly hitting in the same place, I think there could be some serious issues. Also, flipping the clipboard up looks like it might get in the way of the yoke. Plus, ForeFlight has the "scratch pad" so you don't really need paper.

So, will you have one that's JUST for the iPad?

Okay, forget the screen one - The perspective is a bit odd, I thought the clipboard was a half-sheet size but after looking at the web site it's full-width, so no worries about the screen. However, my other two concerns still stand, and I'm also curious about the thermal properties of your padding, I think it might cause cooling issues with the iPad?

I'm off to the Apple Store in a few to go take a look at one.

The iPad generates a surprisingly small amount of heat. However, the device is cushioned inside the kneeboard so that there is a small airspace all around it. Four large (1 inch diameter) holes on the backside allow air in. Airflow exits around the top edges and through the oversized hole on the bottom edge (where the charging plug attaches).

I have left one on, sitting on a pillow in the kneeboard for six hours. There was no noticeable heat beyond what is normally felt. And that isn't very much.

The flip-over writing surface is about 1/4 inch above the glass and doesn't touch anywhere, even when you apply pressure to it. It is supported on three sides and has a structural flange across the top to further stiffen it. The clipboard clip is flush riveted on the inside.

front-sectional.jpg

It's the same essential design as used in the Kindle DX kneeboards and we've been selling these for nearly six months with zero complaints.

A lot of time and several iterations of prototypes were built to ensure that the kneeboard performs optimally for pilots.

Good Flying! - Russ
www.ForPilotsOnly.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply...

I have left one on, sitting on a pillow in the kneeboard for six hours. There was no noticeable heat beyond what is normally felt. And that isn't very much.

Left it sitting, or used it for processor-intensive tasks like playing games/movies? There can be a huge difference in the amount of heat to be dissipated.

Sounds like you've addressed all my concerns except the flip-up surface getting in the way of the yoke - Still not sure about that.

I think I'm probably going to get a yoke mount instead of a kneeboard-style mount anyway - I usually don't use a kneeboard.

Both the Kindle and iPad models have the yoke clearance taken care of. That's why the flip surface is the height that it is and doesn't cover the entire device.

You mentioned yoke mounting. A lot of Kindle users have done that. We sell the bottom tray (without the flip surface). People attach standard yoke mounts to the bottom. Works great.

- Russ

Last edited:
The iPad generates a surprisingly small amount of heat. However, the device is cushioned inside the kneeboard so that there is a small airspace all around it. Four large (1 inch diameter) holes on the backside allow air in. Airflow exits around the top edges and through the oversized hole on the bottom edge (where the charging plug attaches).

The flip-over writing surface is about 1/4 inch above the glass and doesn't touch anywhere, even when you apply pressure to it. It is supported on three sides and has a structural flange across the top to further stiffen it. The clipboard clip is flush riveted on the inside.

front-sectional.jpg

It's the same essential design as used in the Kindle DX kneeboards and we've been selling these for nearly six months with zero complaints.

A lot of time and several iterations of prototypes were built to ensure that the kneeboard performs optimally for pilots.

Good Flying! - Russ
www.ForPilotsOnly.com

So how do you get a moving map display on the iPad with wifi or 2G, bluetooth to a GPS?

Or is the map just a screen shot of a VFR Chart?

There are a couple of moving map applications for the iPad, including mine.

However, if you want your current gps location displayed, wait for the 3G version, the wifi is crippled in the same manner as the iTouch is compared to the iPhone 3G.
With SkyCharts you can also use X-Plane to 'drive', but that is probably not what you asked about ?

So how do you get a moving map display on the iPad with wifi or 2G, bluetooth to a GPS?

Or is the map just a screen shot of a VFR Chart?

Last edited:
There are a couple of moving map applications for the iPad, including mine.

However, if you want your current gps location displayed, wait for the 3G version, the wifi is crippled in the same manner as the iTouch is compared to the iPhone 3G.
With SkyCharts you can also use X-Plane to 'drive', but that is probably not what you asked about ?

leaving in two weeks on a 10 day x-c.
local stores have none in stock except the demo
$499 16GB wifi, 32GB wifi and 64GB wifi for $699
No USB, no SD card

I'll use my netbook with virginmobile 3G USB card
thanks

leaving in two weeks on a 10 day x-c.
local stores have none in stock except the demo
$499 16GB wifi, 32GB wifi and 64GB wifi for $699
No USB, no SD card

I'll use my netbook with virginmobile 3G USB card
thanks

Ok.. so today I stop by the Apple Store. All they have in stock is the 64GB WiFi only models. $699

So here's the deal.. no USB port, no SD Card capability. How can I put pdf document files (NACO or PDFPlates) on the iPad. "You can't"
WiFi file exchange from home? "Nope"
WiFi to the internet and download? "Nope"
"Well.. you can download and view them.. but you can't save them.."
.. What?? Wait.. What was that?

"You need a PDF App, from the Apple Store no less, ok.. $3-$9.. you need to download them to a computer... and SYNC the files with the PDF Reader App, iPad and the computer to transfer them to the iPad for storage and use."

Wait.. I'm out of town, with the iPad.. no computer I can use nearby, I have wifi access at the local coffee shop. I can't go out on the internet and download the latest NACO or PDFPlates update directly into the iPad and save it...??? "NOPE"
(Most likely an available computer may not have the "iPad sync software" loaded)

So I need to carry my NetBook any way with my 3G VirginMobil card, Download to the CPU and then sync to the iPad... "yes" ... well that's a rotten kettle of fish.

Wait.. isn't Apple releasing an adapter to the "sync/power" port for USB and SD Card? "Yes"
"It's $29.99 later this month. But you can only transfer pictures from a camera."
No other data can go across the port? "Nope.. not unless... yada yada yada.."

Can't I use that USB port to access my 3G card? "No.. not unless there is an App on the iPad that accesses (read authorizes) connection to the USB port."

Well... you just lost a sale...

Now I remember why I don't do "Apple":mad2::mad2::mad2:

Ok.. so today I stop by the Apple Store. All they have in stock is the 64GB WiFi only models. $699

So here's the deal.. no USB port, no SD Card capability. How can I put pdf document files (NACO or PDFPlates) on the iPad. "You can't"
WiFi file exchange from home? "Nope"
WiFi to the internet and download? "Nope"
"Well.. you can download and view them.. but you can't save them.."
.. What?? Wait.. What was that?

"You need a PDF App, from the Apple Store no less, ok.. $3-$9.. you need to download them to a computer... and SYNC the files with the PDF Reader App, iPad and the computer to transfer them to the iPad for storage and use."

Wait.. I'm out of town, with the iPad.. no computer I can use nearby, I have wifi access at the local coffee shop. I can't go out on the internet and download the latest NACO or PDFPlates update directly into the iPad and save it...??? "NOPE"
(Most likely an available computer may not have the "iPad sync software" loaded)

So I need to carry my NetBook any way with my 3G VirginMobil card, Download to the CPU and then sync to the iPad... "yes" ... well that's a rotten kettle of fish.

Wait.. isn't Apple releasing an adapter to the "sync/power" port for USB and SD Card? "Yes"
"It's $29.99 later this month. But you can only transfer pictures from a camera."
No other data can go across the port? "Nope.. not unless... yada yada yada.."

Can't I use that USB port to access my 3G card? "No.. not unless there is an App on the iPad that accesses (read authorizes) connection to the USB port."

Well... you just lost a sale...

Now I remember why I don't do "Apple":mad2::mad2::mad2:
Download the Foreflight apps and you can get your charts over Wifi.

They are what they are....

Back