ipad / ADS-B in / Stratux

So if I use an external GPS with the Stratux, the altitude displayed by Foreflight will be from the stratux External GPS rather than the iPad internal GPS? I know I can tell stratux to use the external GPS on the web page at 192.168.10.1, but do I need to tell Foreflight or the iPad itself anything about which GPS (stratux or iPad internal) to use? I've had some confusing results recently. The iPad cellular model internal GPS is fine for navigation, but the altitude display is unreliable. So I'd like to add and use an external GPS with the stratux, but want to make sure I know which GPS Foreflight is displaying. Thanks any help.

So if I use an external GPS with the Stratux, the altitude displayed by Foreflight will be from the stratux External GPS rather than the iPad internal GPS? I know I can tell stratux to use the external GPS on the web page at 192.168.10.1, but do I need to tell Foreflight or the iPad itself anything about which GPS (stratux or iPad internal) to use? I've had some confusing results recently. The iPad cellular model internal GPS is fine for navigation, but the altitude display is unreliable. So I'd like to add and use an external GPS with the stratux, but want to make sure I know which GPS Foreflight is displaying. Thanks any help.
FF (and the other EFBs) is smart enough to know it is using an ADS-B receiver unit. If you look at the More|Devices inn FF with Stratux connected, it will show it is using the ADS-B unit for position information.
Stratus_Connected.png

The one for the Stratux will say something similar. I don't think it says "Stratux" but the part about providing, "GPS data" will be the same.

Last edited:
Here's what it actually looks like with Stratux:

IMG_0646.PNG

I am sure you know this, but Altitude reporting will still be based on 29.92 for barometric pressure i.e. not Density Altitude. It would be nice to add that though.

Since this is an old thread, maybe no one will accuse me of hijacking.

I bought a Strat about a year ago. Had it working, but then didn’t use it for a long time. I use it n my 140 but don’t bother when flying my Mooney with a 430W. I flew with it this morning and never picked up a tower. It shows stratux connected in WiFi settings saying “no internet connection and a grey wireless symbol with an exclamation point. I find “ADS-B connected” indication in Foreflight “Devices” menu.

Any suggestions? Does the firmware need updating

Thanks for the help.

"No Internet connection" is standard since Stratux does not provide internet access.

That's not to say you should not update. The project has continued with updates and upgrades to make it more reliable.

Cellular data will still work just fine while connected to the Stratux WiFi hotspot that provides no Internet, also. I forget if you need Cellular Assist turned on, but I think not.

Back