iPad 4!!! and iPad Mini announced today

Who the heck wants another cellular package for a tablet? With literally two keystrokes I can connect it to the internet using my smartphone as a hotspot, if needed.

I've made the same argument a couple of times, but recognize it WAS more of an issue before 4G since you couldn't use the hotspot and talk on the phone at the same time. The dynamic has changed slightly with the Verizon share plan that lets you add a tablet for only $10 per month. It might actually be worth that for the direct access capability.

I currently use the hotspot and like it. You also have the advantage of not obsoleting your tablet with cell technology upgrades. My Nexus was used on 3G, then got a bump to 4G when I upgraded phones. I suspect it will get used on 5G whenever that becomes a reality.

I do. I carry AT&T on my iPhone and Verizon on my iPad. When I'm at rural airports needing to get information from the internet or file, etc, etc, having both networks is a huge advantage.

Just get Verizon and you wouldn't have an issue. :goofy: (We can now add the Network Wars to the Tablet Wars threads!)

I do. I carry AT&T on my iPhone and Verizon on my iPad. When I'm at rural airports needing to get information from the internet or file, etc, etc, having both networks is a huge advantage.

Carrying two entirely different cell carriers gives you great redundancy, for sure -- but at what cost? I can't remember the last place I went without Verizon coverage. Heck, even at the Reno Air Races, standing on High G Ridge in the middle of the racecourse (the middle of nowhere) I had 4G and was uploading pictures in a blink.

Connecting any tablet to the internet via my Smartphone is literally two keystrokes. One, if WiFi is already turned on. If you already have a smartphone there simply is not enough utility there to justify the added cell plan for the tablet, IMHO.

Supposedly they will be announcing a cellular Nexus 7 in a few days. I won't get one, any more than I wanted the new 32 GB version. AFAIC, these "features" are just marketing gimmicks draped over a nearly-perfect tablet.

What truly amazes me is that the mini-Pad has omitted onboard GPS on the WiFi version. WTF would Apple do that? GPS isn't a marketing gimmick -- it's an integral, essential tool in any tablet, IMHO. Basically it assures that very few people will buy their stripped-down base model, which makes that $329 price a sham.

Sent from my Nexus 7

From a developer perspective, locking the iPad mini to 1024x768 was brilliant. I am sure there were huge fights raging in the Apple halls about 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. The key though, devs still have very few resolutions to target, and really only 3 size factors to deal with. The number of OSs and resolutions and hard keys and soft keys of Android phones and tablets really make it a bear to when developing and debugging apps. Reminds me of the Java promise, where you write it once and debug it everywhere.

I have found very few rare instances, iPad 1 and iPhone 1st gen excepted, where the processing power was a real issue that you could see in the apps. That pretty much applies to Android as soon as you get out of the cheapest price point. Where it matters is battery capacity. And Android suffers here as the battery management is worse, calling for bigger batteries and more weight. iPad 3 really did plump up with having a big enough battery to drive the high res display.

Meh on cameras. They give you options and probably don't cost much in the scheme of things.

For a cellular version of the Nexus 7, you might not want to hold your breath. A quick perusal of the Asus website left me thinking they have never FCC certified a mobile device. So, you are stuck counting on Moto and Samsung for the foreseeable future.

From a developer perspective, locking the iPad mini to 1024x768 was brilliant. I am sure there were huge fights raging in the Apple halls about 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. The key though, devs still have very few resolutions to target, and really only 3 size factors to deal with. The number of OSs and resolutions and hard keys and soft keys of Android phones and tablets really make it a bear to when developing and debugging apps. Reminds me of the Java promise, where you write it once and debug it everywhere.

I agree...they would have shot themselves in the foot had they changed the aspect ratio, and going higher-res would likely have required more battery, adding to the weight. Trimming the bezel to reduce size was also a smart move or it would have been too wide to fit in cargo pockets...it may still be close on that count.

Just get Verizon and you wouldn't have an issue. :goofy: (We can now add the Network Wars to the Tablet Wars threads!)

Carrying two entirely different cell carriers gives you great redundancy, for sure -- but at what cost? I can't remember the last place I went without Verizon coverage. Heck, even at the Reno Air Races, standing on High G Ridge in the middle of the racecourse (the middle of nowhere) I had 4G and was uploading pictures in a blink.

Connecting any tablet to the internet via my Smartphone is literally two keystrokes. One, if WiFi is already turned on. If you already have a smartphone there simply is not enough utility there to justify the added cell plan for the tablet, IMHO.

Supposedly they will be announcing a cellular Nexus 7 in a few days. I won't get one, any more than I wanted the new 32 GB version. AFAIC, these "features" are just marketing gimmicks draped over a nearly-perfect tablet.

What truly amazes me is that the mini-Pad has omitted onboard GPS on the WiFi version. WTF would Apple do that? GPS isn't a marketing gimmick -- it's an integral, essential tool in any tablet, IMHO. Basically it assures that very few people will buy their stripped-down base model, which makes that $329 price a sham.

Sent from my Nexus 7
IME, at least at the rural airports I operate, there is no significant advantage on Verizon then there is on AT&T. It really does feel like it's 50/50 as to which one will work better.

On Diana's farm AT&T is great, Verizon..not so much.

Carrying two entirely different cell carriers gives you great redundancy, for sure -- but at what cost?.....

$14.99 per month. Hardly a "break the bank" expense, and quite the opposite...well worth it from a convenience perspective. IMHO

It's always good to learn of highly satisfied customers. Maybe when a Nexus 7 is finally released with 4G... we could have the "unbiased" android fanboy at CNET do a side-by-side comparison with the iPad mini....

It's called choice Jay, you have the choice to buy and iPad with or without GPS and 4G. The "nearly-perfect" Nexus 7 doesn't afford their customers those sorts of choices. I thought android customers valued the idea of having a choice?? :dunno:

I have a Nexus 7 and a iPad 3 and they both are great. Here is my take on the positive and negatives of the Nexus 7:

Nexus 7

Postitives:
  • great price comparred to iPad mini (save ~$130)
  • better display resolution than iPad Mini
  • onboard GPS
  • perfect size (fits on lapboard) and RAM offers a good selection of mounts for other locations
  • syncs nicely with my other Android devices
  • Google Play is a well thought out marketplace
  • has a "home" button
  • good battery life

Negatives:
  • doesn't work with Foreflight (a great navigation app...possibly the best IMHO)
  • Garmin Pilot for Android is incomplete comparred to the iPad version (no panel page!) Garmin GET BUSY ON THIS!
  • onboard GPS doesn't work when tablet is on my lapboard (high winged Scout 8GCBC)
  • Dual XGPS150A GPS bluetooth device is incompatable with Nexus oper. sys.
In sum, once Garmin completes its Android version of Garmin Pilot, the Nexus 7 will be is a super choice. I am going to buy Garmin's bluetooth GDL 39 ADS-B NEXRAD subscription-free weather and GPS receiver.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=93601

The Nexus 7 absolutely grabs the GPS signal. I can pick it up instantly in buildings, and in basements of buildings. For flying, I think a tablet that does not have a strong built-in GPS would be left in the store.

Back