iPad 4!!! and iPad Mini announced today

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I just got an iPad 3 a few months ago and they doubled the processor and graphics processing into the new iPad 4 just announced today along with the mini. Sigh....

Discuss....

David

Yea, that sucks. I have the 1st gen ipad and was looking at the 3rd gen this weekend when I was in the Apple Store. VERY Fast compared to the first gen, and we almost bought one. My wife likes the concept of the smaller version tablet though and we've really been looking at the Nexus 7,..,... hmm, but now a ipad mini, where all my apps will transfer over so we don't have to buy the android versions if we went with the Nexus 7..... very tempting.

The Nexus 7 killer just arrived..... Wanna bet Nexus 7 pricing is south of $100 by year's end. Given the iPad Mini's superior technology and features, the only way android manufactures will be able to sustain sales is by slashing prices. Well played Apple....

Keep in mind, the 16G wifi only mini is still $80 already above the Nexus 7. So I think there is still a good market there, but, none of the other 7" tablets have cellular connectivity that I am aware of, which is a nice feature to have.

Rob, it is more expensive, but it would appear it the features warrant the additional costs....

Nexus 7 verses iPad Mini

Cellular Network Capable = Advantage Mini (Not available with Nexus 7)
Camera = Advantage Mini (Not available with Nexus 7)
Screen Resolution = Substantial Advantage Mini
Screen Size = Advantage Mini (.9" larger screen, with nearly similar overall dimensions)
Weight = Advantage Mini
Thickness = Advantage Mini
Battery Life = Advantage Mini
Fit/Finish quality = Advantage Mini
App universe = Advantage Mini (iPad/iPhone still the leader/standard for app development)

Rob, it is more expensive, but it would appear it the features warrant the additional costs....

Nexus 7 verses iPad Mini

Screen Size = Advantage Mini (.9" larger screen, with nearly similar overall dimensions)
Weight = Advantage Mini
App universe = Advantage Mini (iPad/iPhone still the leader/standard for app development)

a reasonable comparison would be for the wi-fi only mini with 16 GB vs the
nexus 7.

Talk about features and price. Perhaps the Mini will offer good value.

The Nexus 7 killer just arrived..... Wanna bet Nexus 7 pricing is south of $100 by year's end. Given the iPad Mini's superior technology and features, the only way android manufactures will be able to sustain sales is by slashing prices. Well played Apple....

I don't think so. It costs 60% more WITHOUT a GPS. A friend loves my Nexus 7 but was waiting for this announcement. Today he ordered his Nexus.

Nexus 7 verses iPad Mini

Weight = Advantage Mini

Screen resolution is less than Nexus....1024x768 vs. 1280x800 on Nexus.

It is a bit lighter, but the Nexus is so light I don't see that as a huge issue.

The Mini will sell like gangbusters, just for being an iPad. But Apple left much on the table and Nexus will thrive as a very competitive, less costly alternative.

Plus the Android ecosystem is huge and the cross-device capabilities will nudge Android users toward Nexus. As Asus and others release enhanced versions, that will only spur more to tablet computing, now that Apple has blessed that form factor.

Last edited:
I just got an iPad 3 a few months ago and they doubled the processor and graphics processing into the new iPad 4 just announced today along with the mini. Sigh....

Discuss....

a friend just upgraded his iPad 1 to the 3 two weeks ago. He's bummed.

I still have my iPad 1 to. I take it to school till I graduate in December. Will try to part with it then. I got the 3 for Foreflight usability.

But I feel sick to.

David

I believe that Apple Stores (if that's where he bought it) have a standard 14 day return policy. There is a rumor floating around that some Apple Stores are allowing exchanges of the 3 for the 4 up to 30 days. If he didn't buy from an Apple Store, he might be out of luck. However, the 3 is a mighty fine machine.

JKG

I've been debating upgrading my iPad 2 for ForeFlight, which I still prefer for flight planning than Garmin Pilot, although on a day-to-day basis I use the Nexus 7 with Garmin for flight instructing because of its convenient size. The main reason for upgrading is running out of memory with 32GB. I may consider a 64GB Mini as a replacement, giving me the form factor of the Nexus running ForeFlight. I'd still keep the Nexus. A bit frustrating that I'll end up spending twice as much on a mini to get the same capabilities I got with my Nexus.

I do like the idea of having two different hardware platforms, running two different software packages, with two separate chart subscriptions when flying IFR, which is why both are in the flight bag all the time...fully charged. (With charging adapters dedicated to the flight bag, as well.)

. A bit frustrating that I'll end up spending twice as much on a mini to get the same capabilities I got with my Nexus.

Except that you aren't getting the same capabilities, which is why you're still using an iPad for ForeFlight.

JKG

Except that you aren't getting the same capabilities, which is why you're still using an iPad for ForeFlight.

I was referring to hardware capability, i.e. memory capacity, built-in GPS, etc. And then it won't be quite equal because the mini has a dual-core and the Nexus has a quad-core processor, plus an eight-core graphics processor.

Last edited:
Yup...I missed that one. I'd still like to compare the screen quality, but that measure goes marginally to the Nexus 7

Marginally? It's more than 25% more resolution...actually more, since the iPad Mini's pixels are spread out over even larger real estate, so visually I suspect the difference will be striking. Hi-res photos on the Nexus are stunning...better than my iPad 2, although probably not up to the 3 or 4.

Screen resolution is less than Nexus....1024x768 vs. 1280x800 on Nexus.

It is a bit lighter, but the Nexus is so light I don't see that as a huge issue.

The Mini will sell like gangbusters, just for being an iPad. But Apple left much on the table and Nexus will thrive as a very competitive, less costly alternative.

Plus the Android ecosystem is huge and the cross-device capabilities will nudge Android users toward Nexus. As Asus and others release enhanced versions, that will only spur more to tablet computing, now that Apple has blessed that form factor.

Exactly right. For a 30% price premium over the Nexus 7 the Mini-Pad offers:

- Much lower screen resolution than the Nexus 7. We are talking 25% fewer pixels per square inch, which will surely be noticeable.

- No NFC capability? Really? I use NFC every time I fly! (It automatically turns off WiFi, turns on Bluetooth, and starts Garmin Pilot.)

No NFC also means no Google Wallet or Isis, two new payment technologies.

- Half the RAM.

(Edit after further research: )
- NO onboard GPS unless you buy the higher-dollar model.

From where I'm sitting, just as with the iPhone5 you're getting less capability, for substantially more money, AND you're stuck with the rigid Apple iOS, which means doing everything the "Apple way" or no way at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:
This from NPR News:

"The question is whether people will be content to lay out an extra $129 for the little extras and of course the cache of the Apple iPad mini. Wall Street didn't think so. After the announcement Apple's stock took a dive."

Ouch.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Holy crap -- I just learned that the WiFi mini-Pad does NOT have GPS on board?

That's a deal killer, there. How the eff can you fly with that?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/10/23/wi.ficellular.model.to.feature.gps/

They just followed the pattern of the previous iPad lines. But with the new Lightning connecting the Bad Elf isn't an option, so one of the Bluetooth GPSes will be required. I sorta expected them to add GPS to all the devices since it's become standard in all the competitors. But, they're Apple. Never underestimate their capacity to defy common sense. :mad2:

Ahh, Jay's back. :)

Hi Jay. How's Google's stock doing?

You didn't mention the bloodbath their stock endured the day their accidental early earnings release happened, but had to bring up Apple's stock price?

LOL! Kills almost all your credibility in any thread about Apple stuff man, being that one-sided. It really does. Can't really count on Jay to tell the whole story if the word Apple is mentioned.

Oh well. At least we know exactly where you stand! (Unlike two Presidential candidates who couldn't answer direct questions or stay on topic through three debates! ;) )

Jay for President! Spin baby spin! :)

There is a fundamental difference between Apple and Google concerning tablets. Apple needs a large profit margin, Google has decided to sell at nearly cost to get into the market. That alone guarantees nexus h/w will deliver more bang for the buck. Apple has more apps for the moment. There possibly may be too many apps. I have a hard enough time picking apps on Googles play store. Caveat: I am an open sw guru so never fell for the iSheep thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ahh, Jay's back. :)

Hi Jay. How's Google's stock doing?

You didn't mention the bloodbath their stock endured the day their accidental early earnings release happened, but had to bring up Apple's stock price?

LOL! Kills almost all your credibility in any thread about Apple stuff man, being that one-sided. It really does. Can't really count on Jay to tell the whole story if the word Apple is mentioned.

Oh well. At least we know exactly where you stand! (Unlike two Presidential candidates who couldn't answer direct questions or stay on topic through three debates! ;) )

Jay for President! Spin baby spin! :)

The difference is that Google is just one (albeit major) piece in the Android tablet market. The Nexus 7, for example, is made by ASUS. The Galaxy is made by Samsung...and so on.

When Google's stock tanked, it wasn't in direct response to any particular tablet. When Apple's did, it was in direct response to the underwhelming Mini-Pad's introduction.

Which doesn't mean it won't sell like hotcakes, BTW. Once you play with the smaller form factor (although Apple reportedly blew that, too, by actually making it too big for a woman's hand) you will love it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Once you play with the smaller form factor (although Apple reportedly blew that, too, by actually making it too big for a woman's hand) you will love it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

So the 2 millimeters in height, 14.7 millimeters in width and being 32 grams lighter will render the Mini unusable for women??? :dunno:

I bet the mini is pretty slick but I think the nexus 7 has the advantage for me.. because it can be used with Garmin Pilot at a significant price discount. If foreflight had an HSI feature i'd ditch pilot. FF has better weather and flight planning. But flying old airplanes with no navigation equipment means the HSI feature is very much appreciated.

I like the ipad but having it on a kneeboard kinda sucks. I got spoiled by having an aera 510 mounted on the yoke. I really want either an ipad mini or a nexus 7 to yoke mount. Super convenient.

I suspect women will handle it just fine. I have no problem with their design, and actually think keeping the resolution the same made sense from a compatibility standpoint. My biggest disappointment was not making GPS standard in all tablets, as it has become in all cellphones and competing tablet products.

Didn't Jobs make the statement "seven inch pads were DOA"?

Holy crap -- I just learned that the WiFi mini-Pad does NOT have GPS on board?

That's a deal killer, there. How the eff can you fly with that?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/10/23/wi.ficellular.model.to.feature.gps/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Of course the implication that all iPad-Mini products don't have GPS is wrong. The cellular capable version all have GPS just like their predecessors. Too bad options like a camera and cellular connectivity are not part of the deal with the Nexus 7... :goofy:

Sent from my Macbook Pro while seated at my desk in my home office chuckling at Jay's obsession...

Too bad options like a camera and cellular connectivity are not part of the deal with the Nexus 7... :goofy:

I understand Asus has a version with cellular due out shortly. The camera still mystifies me....with every cellphone sporting an adequate to decent digital camera, why do I need one in my tablet? The forward-facing one makes sense, for Skype, but when I see people taking photos or movies with an iPad I think they look sorta silly!

I understand Asus has a version with cellular due out shortly. The camera still mystifies me....with every cellphone sporting an adequate to decent digital camera, why do I need one in my tablet?....

Actually I think it great that we have so many options and possibilities. Without strong competition, successful companies inevitably loose their creative edge.

I suspected the cellular versions would be forthcoming. Even with hotspot capability, I find that I use the 3G service on my first gen iPad almost daily...

My expense tracking solution is an iPad/iPhone app that allows the user to keep pictures of receipts attached to expense items. The ability to log the expense and then immediately take a picture of the receipt is timesaving and eliminates the need to manage paper. It is not a big deal, but it is one of many uses for the camera...

My expense tracking solution is an iPad/iPhone app that allows the user to keep pictures of receipts attached to expense items. The ability to log the expense and then immediately take a picture of the receipt is timesaving and eliminates the need to manage paper. It is not a big deal, but it is one of many uses for the camera...

I agree that's a great application of technology, and use that with my phone as well. But I find using my phone's camera for that application much easier than the iPad due to the more camera-like size.

Good article. CNET is usually pretty level headed about these things.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Seriously Jay -- you need to open your eyes a bit. It took me a few seconds of Googling to see that the author of that article writes all kinds of Android stuff. He is not an iOS guy, he is an Android guy.
I write about smartphones for AndroidGuys and CNET. Buy me sushi, coffee, or sunflower seeds and we'll be besties.
Canton, OH
Almost all of his articles are about Android and Google.
http://www.cnet.com/8725-4_1-0.html?username=ScottWebster
Hardly level headed on the subject.

Sent from my MacBook Pro Retina

I understand Asus has a version with cellular due out shortly. The camera still mystifies me....with every cellphone sporting an adequate to decent digital camera, why do I need one in my tablet? The forward-facing one makes sense, for Skype, but when I see people taking photos or movies with an iPad I think they look sorta silly!

Who the heck wants another cellular package for a tablet? With literally two keystrokes I can connect it to the internet using my smartphone as a hotspot, if needed.

I have never missed a front facing camera on my N7. I never missed having one on my iPad, either. I use the back-facing one all the time for Google+ video "hangouts", but I would never use a tablet for photography.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Who the heck wants another cellular package for a tablet? With literally two keystrokes I can connect it to the internet using my smartphone as a hotspot, if needed.

I have never missed a front facing camera on my N7. I never missed having one on my iPad, either. I use the back-facing one all the time for Google+ video "hangouts", but I would never use a tablet for photography.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I do. I carry AT&T on my iPhone and Verizon on my iPad. When I'm at rural airports needing to get information from the internet or file, etc, etc, having both networks is a huge advantage.

Back