Ipad 2 or Ipad Mini?

1r4v12.jpg

Here is FF on the mini. It uses the iPad version as it is an iPad. The mini does not use iphone specific applications for its apps. Although you can run both, Ipad optimized apps are what go on the Mini.

Bruce, are you sure it's a non-GPS version? I have the 32GB non-cellular version, and it has GPS! I was really surprised when CloudAhoy said it was using the internal GPS, because I thought the Mini was like the full-sized version, where you need cellular (3G) to have built-in GPS.

Edit: I think that CloudAhoy may be just mis-reporting it. When I dig further, the Privacy -> Location Services panel in iPad Settings says that it's using crowd-sourced WiFi hotspot locations. But it was showing my location at 3200' AGL over farmland. Now I don't know!

And I agree. I was using both of them on a flight yesterday, and found the Mini to be much more comfortable in the cockpit. I wish I had a yoke mount that would work in the Bonanza, though. It fits nicely between the horns in portrait mode, but the Bo has the center tube for the yokes that is shared by both, instead of the Cessna arrangement with each yoke having its own tube.

Sporty's
"The 3G model of the iPad, in addition to its built-in cellular antenna, also includes an internal GPS. The GPS is completely separate from the 3G data service, so you don’t even have to have an active data plan for the GPS to work. You could buy the 3G model purely for the GPS and never activate the data plan, saving yourself some money. But the on-board iPad GPS was made for ground use, and it’s not very reliable in the air. It has a tendency to drop offline, especially when switching between apps. For this reason, most iPad pilots—even those with a 3G iPad—opt for an external GPS. They are extremely accurate (WAAS-enabled) and very reliable. They also offer free apps that allow you to monitor the GPS’s performance."

Sporty's
"The 3G model of the iPad, in addition to its built-in cellular antenna, also includes an internal GPS. The GPS is completely separate from the 3G data service, so you don’t even have to have an active data plan for the GPS to work. You could buy the 3G model purely for the GPS and never activate the data plan, saving yourself some money. But the on-board iPad GPS was made for ground use, and it’s not very reliable in the air. It has a tendency to drop offline, especially when switching between apps. For this reason, most iPad pilots—even those with a 3G iPad—opt for an external GPS. They are extremely accurate (WAAS-enabled) and very reliable. They also offer free apps that allow you to monitor the GPS’s performance."
For some reason, my non-3G Mini doesn't seem to want to take the GPS signal from my Stratus. So both CloudAhoy and ForeFlight are showing very low GPS signals but identifying them as Internal, even though ForeFlight indicates that it's getting a signal from the Stratus. I'll ask Leslie to fly next time while I try to diagnose it! :)

Are you talking about the iPhone versus the iPad or the iPad vs the iPad mini?

iPad vs. iPhone. The iPad and the iPad Mini are essentially the same - The iPad Mini has the same screen resolution as the original iPad and iPad 2, so you can do anything with it that you could with the bigger ones, it's just a bit harder to read because it's a tad smaller.

Ipad mini on a kneeboard. I only had it on once, worked fine in a DA-40. I had an ipad 1 once but never thought to even try it in the cockpit in any way, just too large, too unwieldy. Returned it.

I don't plan on depending on the mini as of yet. It was more of a gear test on a local flight plus I can run cloudahoy that way to review the flight later.

I first ran the setup in driving to work just to get the feel of manipulating the programs and such. I've done the same with my regular kneeboard and paper items. Better than doing it the first time in the air. Anything that I've changed I'll run in the car first. The location of a pencil, my gopro setup that records ATC, whatever.

I modded a simple aluminum kneeboard.
p1341498564-4.jpg

p1341498118-4.jpg

p1341498808-4.jpg

Last edited:
I have an ipad3 and plan to replace it with the next generation mini. Had the mini existed when I got my full size iPad, I would have gone with it as something to carry around with me everywhere.

Back