iOS 7

Seems to work OK for me. I figured out how to get the list view back in Calendar (press the search button). I obviously haven't tried all my apps yet though.

Long ago I lived on the bleeding edge. Today I'm older and wiser. I'll wait AT LEAST a couple of weeks and see what nasty bugs surface. If it slows hardware down noticeably, I might just pass altogether. :cool2:

I'll download my iPod first and play with it until I'm satisfied. THEN I'll download the iPhone.

My buddies in the device group have told me that a problem with IOS7 for the iPads has popped up yesterday. Thought I would pass it on.

It is not a big deal, but annoying.

If after you update your software on the iPad you might not be able to connect to your broadband service provider. The iPad will just say it is searching. WiFi will work fun though, turning off WiFi and the iPad still will search.

If this is happening to you it is an easy fix.

Simply hold down the function button and the on/off button until the unit turns off. Then turn the unit on normally. The reset should correct the failed system search.

This has yet to be seen on the iPhones, only iPads.

This ain't my first update rodeo and I refuse to be a beta tester . .. I'll wait for 7.1 before I slow down my phone even more with icon animations I don't need or want - I wish these companies would come to the conclusion that phones and tablets are tool - I don't spend $700 on a toy that flashes fancy graphics at me . . . at least not directly. It is a tool I use . . .

This ain't my first update rodeo and I refuse to be a beta tester . .. I'll wait for 7.1 before I slow down my phone even more with icon animations I don't need or want - I wish these companies would come to the conclusion that phones and tablets are tool - I don't spend $700 on a toy that flashes fancy graphics at me . . . at least not directly. It is a tool I use . . .
Hear, hear.

Haven't had any problems with it - Everything connected fine on both the iPhone and the iPad, all my apps work fine, etc.

I have discovered a few annoyances:

1) The Photos app is missing Places and Faces, from what I can tell. I do like the new "events" (it's called something else, but I can't remember what) view, but I wanted to find a pic of a particular person last night, and couldn't just get a list of all the pics of them like I could before. Same with finding Places on a map to find the photos I've taken there. I'm guessing these will eventually return, same as Final Cut Pro X features did (there've been a couple of other examples from Apple where a ground-up rewrite temporarily kills a few features).

2) The aforementioned overly-flattened keyboard that no longer uses color to indicate shift and caps lock

3) I've heard a few other minor complaints, but overall it's pretty nice... And the biggest plus is that there isn't a perceptible speed hit. That was a problem with both 4 and 5.

I hear you, but OS 7 has been hammered on by quite a few for a number of months, so I wasn't too worried about show-stoppers. And it has enough usability enhancements to justify the bug risk for me. So far I'm liking it.

Did the update to the phone and I pad seems to be fine so far.Time will tell,I also use the IPad as a tool for flying and also boating.

Who's telling you it's under 5MB? That's WAY too small for a modern OS.

I'm downloading it now, it's 1.2 GB.

"Nobody should ever need more than 640K of RAM" -Bill Gates, 1980s

An interesting article regarding privacy concerns on iOS7.

ZDNet: Four privacy settings you should enable in iOS 7 immediately

I believe that most or all of those settings existed in iOS 6 as well.

Specific to iOS 7, there is an identified security issue with leaving Control Center enabled on the home screen when you have passcode lock enabled. Disabling Control Center on the home screen resolves it. I believe that there's another security issue which involves Siri, but I have Siri disabled.

JKG

Last edited:
I ran into a small bug and thought I would share, in case anyone else runs into it. My mail would only show the combined inbox (for both Exchange and Yahoo accounts) and it didn't show me any of my sub folders I have for Exchange. The fix is to go into the settings for mail and turn off the mail for one of the accounts and then turn it back on again.

In the last 48 hours I think just about every single app I have has rev'd for the new iOS...I'm waiting a couple weeks, I tend to avoid .0 versions.

I concur with that decision to wait. That is what I am doing.

I put it on the iPad today. Was so tired after 27.5 hours awake I didn't even remember to back it up first. Did it via Wifi and woke up to it finished. No problems.

The font is a little easier to read. Nothing particularly "wow" about it, though. More of a new coat of paint than anything revolutionary.

Which makes sense. Apple really has lost their main visionary. They know how to crank out good code though, so it's solid, and somewhat boring. I expect that trend will continue, which doesn't bother me at all.

Apps that haven't updated don't benefit from the new font, or look... So most stuff just looks the same once you launch anything you're spending 90% of your time in.

The requirement to swipe left to delete mail is stupid. If holding it with one hand, it's a longer reach to do it than to swipe right with a thumb. Still can't set the mail badge to count new mail down in subfolders.

Giant amounts of wasted space between icons on App switching is annoying. Cram more of them on the screen please. Less swiping, more doing. Ditto with the cover flow App Switching. I don't need to see the App, I already know what it looks like, silly developer. I'd have preferred a full screen icon-based App switcher than the goofy eye candy that makes it slower and more cumbersome.

Same with the home screen, really. Cram it all on there. No need to leave all that space inbetween. My fingers aren't that big. Make it adjustable. And same problem inside an App folder... Sure they hold a lot of Apps, but make that page full screen instead of swiping between pages there also.

In Reminders, let me move iCloud to the top instead of the Work Exchange Account where I don't track tasks. Or just turn off the Exchange tasks altogether. Don't need them.

Notification Center changes are nice except one. Why make me tap the X and have it change to "Clear" and tap it again. Once is plenty.

The insistence of bright white backgrounds on everything is hard on the eyes. Have not looked to see if text and background color can be changed in Apple's Apps. I don't want to use the color reverse feature but in some cases it does look better. It's a computer, not a newspaper.

Multitouch App swipe is ok. Don't really find the new way to close Apps all that fast.

Anyway. That's my first impressions.

I agree with most of your review. I wonder if the extra spacing is an accommodation for iPhones at the expense of iPad users? The wasted space drives me nuts. I have a grouped icon that held everything nicely in one group before. Now I have to swipe between three pages to find my apps. I don't view that as progress.

After a couple days using iOS 7 on the iPad, I think it's a bit more than a "new coat of paint." The underlying system seems to be a bit more refined. Battery life appears to be at least as good, if not better, than iOS 6, after it finished doing whatever it was doing in the first 24 hours that appeared to be causing increased battery drain.

I'm not sure what folks were expecting as far as "wow" factor, especially with a well-established OS. Apple typically does "wow" through new product releases rather than refinements to existing products. Adding features for the sake of it isn't innovation, it's the same old numbers game (as with screen size). Folks tend to buy the bigger numbers even if those numbers have no material impact on their workflows. Since Jobs died, Apple hasn't done anything with a "wow" factor, and they're now being run by a bunch of MBAs, or at least one, who doesn't strike me as a risk-taker. They still have a superior system to the competition, but I think they need to start moving the ball forward a bit more.

Icon spacing doesn't seem to be any different than before, except in folders. "Cramming" everything onto a page isn't a very elegant nor efficient solution, but neither is having text buttons without any definition to them.

The app switching is a huge improvement, especially when closing apps. You can now swipe up on multiple windows at once to close the apps, and the "tap and hold" delay is gone. In my experience, switching between apps is also way more efficient with the larger windows. I'll accept that perhaps the windows could be incrementally smaller to fit more of them on the screen, but if you're still looking at icons, you're doing it wrong. I'm not sure how well this works on the iPhone, though, so maybe it's worse on the smaller format.

The Control Center is a welcomed improvement.

The new Notification Center doesn't seem quite as functional as it should be; for example, there appears to be no way to launch the calendar by tapping in the Notification Center, and the event notifications (especially for the following day) are pretty useless. The weather information is borderline useless. I don't know how it behaves with other app notifications, but it seems as though the old way might have been better.

The Photos app is changed, I'm not sure for the better. It seems as though it requires more effort to do the same tasks, but I don't spend much time in Photos.

Overall, it's about what I expected. It's probably been more stable than I expected, but since it's evolutionary and seems to have had a decent beta run, I'm not too surprised.

JKG

Last edited:
Hilton (WingX) just sent out an email suggesting to NOT upgrade to iOS7 at this time as apparently there are some issues unrelated to apps or hardware that are causing it to hang and crash where pushing the hardware buttons had no effect.

Hilton Software LLC
September 21, 2013
Greetings!

iOS 7 Update
We have been testing WingX Pro7 on iOS 7 since Apple released iOS 7 Betas to developers and have not found any issues. However, we have heard from a couple of customers who have seen issues with WingX Pro7 on iOS 7. We are working hard to find, understand, and resolve the issues.

We have also seen iOS 7 hang occasionally and crash - these are completely unrelated to any iPad or EFB app, even to a point where pushing the hardware buttons had no effect.

Recommendation
For now, we recommend not upgrading your iPhone or iPad to iOS 7.
Thank your for your continued support of WingX Pro7.

Sincerely,

I have had the iPhone 5 crash a few times. Today it was on the ground after a flight and I was updating MyFlightbook with the additional details. Before the crash, that was the primary running app (recording my flight in the patttern) and I had a few others including mail and chrome running in the background.

I have also experienced a crash or two when I playing Plants v Zombies 2 and had a lot going on the screen.

So far on iPad, no crashes.

Thanks, Henning, for posting the message from Hilton. I hadn't seen it yet.

Hilton (WingX) just sent out an email suggesting to NOT upgrade to iOS7 at this time as apparently there are some issues unrelated to apps or hardware that are causing it to hang and crash where pushing the hardware buttons had no effect.

You might not have a choice... Is Apple really forcing the 3gb image to holdouts?!

ebe5usa9.jpg

Wow, well, how do I know if Apple already force fed it to my iPad? I was waiting for 7.1, like I waited for 6.1. Looks like I'm still running 6.1.3.

I bought an iPhone 4S for 99 cents a couple days after the 5S/5C models were unveiled. I asked if I could have it with iOS 6. The answer was that it comes preloaded with iOS 7; further, the associate knew of no way to switch the unit back to iOS 6.
My iPad 2 is still running 6.1.3; however, if I inquire of Updates it references iOS 7, allowing the option to Download and Install(which I haven't done).

HR

You might not have a choice... Is Apple really forcing the 3gb image to holdouts?!

There must be a financial incentive to do so. It wouldn't be about blocking unapproved accessories on the Lightning port, would it? :stirpot:

There must be a financial incentive to do so. It wouldn't be about blocking unapproved accessories on the Lightning port, would it? :stirpot:

Probably more like maintaining multiple versions is expensive for any company on any software product.

Heh.

Since I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7, every time I plug it in to charge (cable I bought after losing my Apple one), it warns me that my cable is unapproved and might not work properly. Works fine.

Wow, well, how do I know if Apple already force fed it to my iPad? I was waiting for 7.1, like I waited for 6.1. Looks like I'm still running 6.1.3.

The download is forced and absorbs 3 GB of space. The install still requires user permission, and agreement to whatever licenses terms they cooked up.

What device do you have? Have been avoiding installing because of this issue.

Was on a 4s. As noted by another poster, it seems to only happen the first few days, then back to normal. I'm on a 5s now.

Anyone heard anything further on this from Hilton? I know they pushed out a WingX update that is to better support iOs7, but are they still recommending to not upgrade the OS itself?

Anyone heard anything further on this from Hilton? I know they pushed out a WingX update that is to better support iOs7, but are they still recommending to not upgrade the OS itself?

I got that as well, but haven't heard regarding the other. I'm on their mailing list...

Dear customer, we had months to prepare our code and didn't... is all I see in their statements as a sysadmin type. :)

That is a bad sign from a software-only company.

Back