iOS 7

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I know some here are probably testing it, but everything I've seen of it makes me think Microsoft Zune! Am I missing something. The color combos seem really Playmobile-y. Curious thoughts from anyone who has lived with it awhile.

I know some here are probably testing it, but everything I've seen of it makes me think Microsoft Zune! Am I missing something. The color combos seem really Playmobile-y. Curious thoughts from anyone who has lived with it awhile.

I don't know about the Zune, but it seems to me that they've taken the interface design in a more "mainstream" direction. While I think that some of the design used in the present system is hideous (especially in some of the apps), I think that they may have overcorrected in iOS 7, as none of the images I've seen are all that pleasing to the eye. I'd prefer a design that draws my eye to the most relevant information on a screen, rather than having everything so "flat" that I have to scan for it.

With that being said, looks aren't why I like Apple's stuff. I like Apple's stuff because the interface generally WORKS well, and consistently between devices, and I don't really have to think about how to make it work. It just works. If they break that, they're in trouble.

JKG

It definitely looks Fisher-Price. The two at the office testing it like it and seem to be more interested on how useful some of the new swiping and getting around are. They say the UI is better.

It definitely looks Fisher-Price. The two at the office testing it like it and seem to be more interested on how useful some of the new swiping and getting around are. They say the UI is better.

Are they under 30?

Anybody know if Siri is useful in iOS 7? Just curious not that I would use the app.

David

Anybody know if Siri is useful in iOS 7? Just curious not that I would use the app.

It's useful in iOS 6 too. :dunno:

I often use it for getting directions, it's way faster than opening maps and typing stuff in. I'll use it for text messages if I'm driving.

There's also some fun easter eggs - Try these:
"OK Glass" (the voice prompt for Google Glass)
"Stop!"
"Beam me up, Scotty!"
"Open the pod bay doors"
(The best thing about these is that you don't always get the same response.)

the colors match up with the iPhone 5C colors . . . its going to be the 70's of phone operating systems -

Whenever Apple starts dorking with the UI on anything, I think: "They're going to add a few features that'll be useful and dick with the colors again."

Whenever MSFT starts dorking with the UI on anything I think: "Oh man, they're going to come up with a new way to hurt my eyeballs with awful white and blue color schemes and move EVERY DAMN THING IN THE UI somewhere completely non-intuitive and claim it's better and then wait for the shell hackers to make it useful again or at least explain where the hell everything went."

Exception: Windows 8 added Primary Colors everywhere like we're in frakking kindergarten again and Apple apparently followed suit with pastel versions of same because Jobs wasn't around to tell them useless colors just to copy competitors, isn't why people buy the product.

Apple still needs to get keyboard shortcuts consistent across OSs. That's a mess. And swipe gestures. You can really tell OSX and iOS aren't coded by the same groups with consistent UI standards.

MSFT, keeps their keyboard shortcuts consistent but hides everything in a completely new UI with every release. However note they're trying to unify Win 8 Mobile and Win 8 Desktop with only limited success. Some stuff on a multitouch tablet doesn't work well with a mouse and vice-versa.

Be interesting to see if Apple pulls it off. Seems like that's where they're headed. Doesn't seem too smart to mimic the most soundly hated marriage of UIs ever done by their competitor.

MSFT + Nokia? Looks great on paper. I think the Corporate culture clash is going to be an internal utter disaster. They had to go there, though... or give up on the Corporate Unified Communications market space. Cisco crushes them on the high-end and Asterisk on the low end.

In the server space, MSFT making Powershell and not the GUI the star of the show is the MSFT equivalent of giving the nod to the fact they still can't scale up to the giant Unix/Linux deployments. Interesting move. Nobody needs a GUI on a server.

Apple bailed on servers a while ago. iCloud infrastructure runs on Oracle mail on an undisclosed platform, likely BSD or Linux. MSFT pushes Office 365 which is hideously expensive for them to run and is still back ended by postfix on the mail side of things (look at the headers sometime... they'll hide that soon...) Exchange cluster farms are the back-end, but Unix hauls the heavy lifting. Similar to early HotMail.

All pretty fascinating to watch. Rare to see either company make a real breakthrough anymore. Jobs wanted the NeXT Mach kernel to be OSX. Thankfully someone talked him out of it and chose BSD for the bad instead or Apple would have died on the spot. Looking forward to the release version of Mavericks for OSX. It needs a refresh bad right now.

6.1.4 is the current version. New iOS versions are typically released around 10am Pacific

Both of my devices said 6.1.3 was current this morning.

Now, I'm getting "Unable to Check for Update." That probably means the floodgates have opened...

Yup. 7.0 shows up now, and I can agree to the new EULA, but the download errors out instantly. Floodgates are definitely open.

:rolleyes: Seems like this is a "normal" thing each September.

I was reading some blogs and news stories over my morning coffee about the roll out. Most advised waiting until the evening and after the initial rush to do the update.

Some of the UI improvements look interesting and worthwhile. Other's I'll wait and see.

In the last 48 hours I think just about every single app I have has rev'd for the new iOS...I'm waiting a couple weeks, I tend to avoid .0 versions.

:rolleyes: Seems like this is a "normal" thing each September.

I was reading some blogs and news stories over my morning coffee about the roll out. Most advised waiting until the evening and after the initial rush to do the update.

I think there's likely a second rush in the evening - I haven't had such good luck then myself.

The iPad, after several more attempts, is downloading the update. I think I'm going to do the iPhone via USB, it's too important to botch.

Fortunately, my iPad 1 will not update from the perfectly acceptable iOS 5 something it runs. :D

Cheers

Okay... more fun from Cupertino..... :mad2:

I had read that iTunes on my PC would also need updating prior to uploading iOS 7 on my iPhone 5. So I get to the page, and am able to install iTunes 11.0.5.

Then back up the iPhone via this version of iTunes. Take note that I now have a full back up on my PC's hard drive and an iCloud backup of the "most important data on [my] iPhone".

Click the "update" button to begin the iOS 7 process.

A nice dialog box now informs me "A new iPhone Software version 7.0 is available, but requires iTunes 11.1. Would you like to download iTunes 11.1 now?"

WTH? I just downloaded.... okay, whatever [click the "Download iTunes" button]

Web browser opens up a new tab for the iTunes download page and I'm presented the opportunity to download...... version 11.0.5 :mad2:

Curse you Apple!!!!

A nice dialog box now informs me "A new iPhone Software version 7.0 is available, but requires iTunes 11.1. Would you like to download iTunes 11.1 now?"

WTH? I just downloaded.... okay, whatever [click the "Download iTunes" button]

Web browser opens up a new tab for the iTunes download page and I'm presented the opportunity to download...... version 11.0.5 :mad2:

You may be hitting a server that's not yet in sync or something due to the insane amount of traffic they're dealing with today. It took me two tries to get Software Update on the Mac to get iTunes 11.1 to show up as well, and it's downloading REALLY slow (though that may be partially because I'm on a really bad WiFi network at the auto shop right now).

I'm also going to dump the cache for Chrome, close, relaunch and see if I get 11.1

Sadly, today's experience reminds me of this old bit of humor from 13-14 years ago

-------------------------

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a manoeuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought 'Car95' or 'CarNT', and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single 'general car default' warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say 'Are you sure?' before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the 'start' button to shut off the engine.

I updated my iPad 3 to iOS 7 this afternoon. It is definitely a change from previous versions, some good, some bad. Initial impression was more bad than good, but then I noticed some things which seemed to be improved.

Overall OS feels a bit more sluggish than iOS 6, but that could be all or in part due to the new animations (which I could do without, but apparently can't disable).

One thing I will say is that web browsing performance with Safari seems to be noticeably improved over iOS 6.

For some reason, text entry occasionally and repeatedly lags, just enough to be annoying. I'm not sure if this is going to be an ongoing problem, or if it's because the new OS is indexing or doing some other maintenance tasks in the background which will eventually stabilize.

The new multitasking view is an improvement I think, but Apple changed the way that apps are closed. If you want to close an app in the background, rather than hold down the home button until you get the red "X" on the icon, simply swipe up on its window in the multitasking screen.

It's too early for me to comment on battery life, but the iPad seems to be burning through it pretty well at the moment. Again, I'm not sure whether there is something going on related to the upgrade that will eventually stabilize and result in improved performance in this area.

JKG

Last edited:
Clearing the cache did it to download the correct iTunes.

Downloading the iOS7 update to my hard drive now... being told it's gonna be nearly 20 minutes to get it all.

A long time for something I'm told is under 5MB. (heh... I remember when 14.4 kbaud was a screaming fast deal). But I guess with the entire world loading up Apple's servers, this isn't too bad.

Downloading the iOS7 update to my hard drive now... being told it's gonna be nearly 20 minutes to get it all.

A long time for something I'm told is under 5MB.

Who's telling you it's under 5MB? That's WAY too small for a modern OS.

I'm downloading it now, it's 1.2 GB.

I'm iOS 7 loaded and running.

Not sure where I saw the 5MB notice, but I did see it (PC and WinXP if that has any bearing).

I'll join the crowd that says I hate the color scheme. Other items of the UI I'm really liking, but I wish I could set the colors back to "classic" view.

I'm attempting the over-air update on my iPad4 now. Tried to do it tethered after running the Apple Software Update. Got a new iTunes, QuickTime, etc. Connected, backed up, then tried to do the upgrade via iTunes, but was told I needed a newer version? Huh? I just updated! Told it to update, but nothing happened....twice. Finally quit iTunes and decided to go over the air. It's about a third of the way downloaded and says 3 min. remaining.

Crossing my fingers.

I'm attempting the over-air update on my iPad4 now. Tried to do it tethered after running the Apple Software Update. Got a new iTunes, QuickTime, etc. Connected, backed up, then tried to do the upgrade via iTunes, but was told I needed a newer version? Huh? I just updated! Told it to update, but nothing happened....twice. Finally quit iTunes and decided to go over the air. It's about a third of the way downloaded and says 3 min. remaining.

Crossing my fingers.

I too got the "need new version of iTunes" 'bug' when doing the update of my iPhone tethered.

You need 11.1 to do the iOS update and the bug lands you at the page to download 11.05.

There's something in your browser cache that might be pointing towards the wrong server or web page.

I cleared the cache (temp files of the browser), closed the browser, re-launched, and typed in www.apple.com/itunes/ and was able to download 11.1

I have the iPhone 5 updated... haven't done the iPad4 yet.

Features and functionality I'm coming to like and appreciate. Not so much with some colors.

I'll join the crowd that says I hate the color scheme. Other items of the UI I'm really liking, but I wish I could set the colors back to "classic" view.

The icons are certainly a bit annoying, but the rest isn't too bothersome, or even that colorful.

Biggest UI gaffe I've found so far is the different coloring of the shift key - It originally made me think it was already "shifted."

However, I'm guessing that most of this stuff will be like the updates to Facebook - It's different, and everyone will ***** about it for the next couple of days, but in a week you'll forget the old one even existed.

One item I found that will need a bug fix.... The wallpaper setting won't allow you to correctly re-size or move the image.

I use one of the panels from the Chicken Wings Comic as my lock screen image. The update sorta messed the image size/placement. Now I'm not able to size it at all to make it fit the new settings/space.

I think there's likely a second rush in the evening - I haven't had such good luck then myself.

The iPad, after several more attempts, is downloading the update. I think I'm going to do the iPhone via USB, it's too important to botch.

So do you use iTunes as a backup vs. iCloud?

I have downloaded on the iPhone and it's installing as I type...

So far, so good. It's different....not sure if better or worse. Time will tell. Just glad it hasn't hosed up anything major!

Long ago I lived on the bleeding edge. Today I'm older and wiser. I'll wait AT LEAST a couple of weeks and see what nasty bugs surface. If it slows hardware down noticeably, I might just pass altogether. :cool2:

Back