iOS 6

Nope. I never take the .0 release of anything.

I'm on the trailing edge with my 3GS, so I'm curious to read reports of how it works on that model. iOS 4.3.x was rock solid on it. I finally updated it to iOS 5 about 3 months ago to use iMessage. I notice Safari dies more often on webpages than on 4.3, and it seems to have gotten a bit slower, so I'm not in a huge rush.

That's usually me, too... But I have an itch to try a Day 0.

I'll probably pay for it dearly, too. I know better. :)

You're all wimps! What's the worst that could possibly happen?

JKG

I have been using a gold master release version on my iPhone 4s and my iPad 3 for over a week. As soon as you update to 6 an update is available for foreflight and other apps. I have flown 3+ hours this week with the iPad and have no bugs in foreflight or any other apps.

The OS looks solid, you guys will love some of the new features!

I updated it as soon as it hit the update site (12:00 CT) and it took about 45 minutes all told to download and update my iPad 3. No issues or restarts. All is well, Foreflight does indeed work, as does Siri, FB integration, Maps with directions, etc.

No issues with Tapatalk.
yqequtu4.jpg

Drank the koolaid. Seems fine. 30 second professional software curmudgeon review:

Passbook: Thrown down a well, or at least into a folder.
Newsstand: Wish I could throw it down a well.
Maps: Looks nice. Hopefully I can get rid of Waze.
Youtube: Gone. Cool, one less useless icon that I couldn't delete.

App titlebars are now a lovely shade of slate, giving me AmigaOS 2.0 flashbacks.

Otherwise, it seems not actively worse than ios 5, which counts as a positive review in my book.

edit: bummer, no turn-by-turn on the iPhone 4.

Last edited:
Drank the koolaid. Seems fine. 30 second professional software curmudgeon review:

Passbook: Thrown down a well, or at least into a folder.
Newsstand: Wish I could throw it down a well.
Maps: Looks nice. Hopefully I can get rid of Waze.
Youtube: Gone. Cool, one less useless icon that I couldn't delete.

App titlebars are now a lovely shade of slate, giving me AmigaOS 2.0 flashbacks.

Otherwise, it seems not actively worse than ios 5, which counts as a positive review in my book.

iPad 2 or 3?

Neither; iPhone 4. I have been delaying gratification on the iPad for a couple of years now.

OT: An oddity that I noticed on ios 5 was that, even with location services disabled for Safari, some websites (e.g. flightaware) will still light up the location services icon in the titlebar. Other websites (e.g. maps.google.com) will not. In either case, no position information appears to be delivered to the site. This behavior persists in ios 6.

Haven't done it yet. Been running like a chicken with my head cut off all day. Still have a conference call at 19:30. Maybe after that.

Yeah, i will point it at some iDevice tonight. Wish I had read this before work so I could do it on one of my back burner ones. But, you have to admit, Apple's X.0 releases, while they have something that will inevitably irritate you, work, and don't keep you from doing what you could do before. Which exceeds most other companies' x.2 releases.

Well, I sat down to make sure the MacBook and Karen's iMac were updated prior to messing with iDevices and they released so many updates for the desktop machines, I haven't even gotten to the other iToys yet.

Nice updates (incremental but interesting) to both versions of OSX running here, as well as Xcode (of course... New stuff for iOS 6) and a big Aperture update. Hmm.

"Shared Photostream" sounds interstingly dangerous and maybe nifty. Haha. Haven't looked up what they did yet with that.

It's real obvious their servers are getting hammered. Or ISPs are throttling them just to save their networks. ;)

We'll see if I get it all updated enough to do the phone or iPad. Also had to back up them both with annice fresh backup, which took a while.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering... the official updates list...

iOS 6 Software Update

This update contains over 200 new features, including the following:

• Maps
◦ Apple designed vector based maps
◦ Turn-by-turn navigation with spoken directions on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (2nd and 3rd generation)
◦ Real-time traffic information
◦ Flyover for photo-realistic, interactive 3D views of major metro areas on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation)
◦ Local search results with Yelp photos, ratings, reviews, and available deals
◦ Siri integration for requesting directions and finding places along a route
• Siri improvements
◦ Sports: scores, player stats, game schedules, team rosters, and league standings for baseball, basketball, football, soccer and hockey
◦ Movies: trailers, showtimes, reviews and facts
◦ Restaurants: reservations, reviews, photos and information
◦ Send a Tweet
◦ Post on Facebook
◦ App launch
◦ Eyes Free in supported automobiles
◦ Local search available in Siri supported countries (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
◦ Additional country and language support for Canada (English and Canadian French), China (Mandarin), Hong Kong (Cantonese), Italy (Italian), Korea (Korean), Mexico (Spanish), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (Italian, French, German), Taiwan (Mandarin), US (Spanish)
◦ Supported on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (3rd generation) and iPod touch (5th generation)
• Facebook integration
◦ Single sign-on from Settings
◦ Post from Photos, Safari, Maps, App Store, iTunes, Game Center, Notification Center and Siri
◦ Add location and choose audience for any post
◦ View up-to-date Facebook profile photos and contact information in Contacts
◦ View Facebook events and birthdays in Calendar
◦ Like content and see your friends' Likes in App Store and iTunes Store
• Shared Photo Streams
◦ Share selected photos with the people you choose
◦ Friends can view shared photos in Photos app, iPhoto and Apple TV
◦ Friends can like and make comments on individual photos
• Passbook
◦ One place for boarding passes, store cards, movie tickets and other passes
◦ Barcode display for boarding flights, buying coffee, getting into movies and other actions
◦ Passes displayed on Lock Screen based on time or location
◦ Passes can be automatically updated
◦ Supported on iPhone and iPod touch
• FaceTime improvements
◦ FaceTime over cellular support for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation)
◦ Receive FaceTime calls, sent to your iPhone number, on your iPad and iPod touch
• Phone improvements
◦ Do Not Disturb to suppress incoming calls and notifications
◦ 'Reply with message' option when declining a call
◦ 'Remind me later' option based on time or location when declining a call
• Mail improvements
◦ VIP mailbox to quickly access mail from important people
◦ Flagged email mailbox
◦ Insert photos and videos when composing email
◦ Open password protected Office docs
◦ Pull down to refresh mailboxes
◦ Per account signatures
• Safari improvements
◦ iCloud tabs to see open pages on all your devices
◦ Offline Reading List
◦ Photo upload support
◦ Full screen landscape view on iPhone and iPod touch
◦ Smart app banners
◦ JavaScript performance improvements
• App Store and iTunes Store improvements
◦ Updated store design
◦ iTunes Preview history
◦ Complete my season
◦ Complete my album
• Game Center improvements
◦ Challenge friends to beat high scores and achievements
◦ Post high-scores and achievements to Facebook and Twitter
◦ Friend recommendations based on your Facebook friends
• Accessibility improvements
◦ Guided Access to limit device to one app or restrict touch input on certain areas of the screen
◦ VoiceOver integration with Maps, AssistiveTouch and Zoom
◦ Support for Made for iPhone Hearing Aids for iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S
• Improved privacy controls for Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Photos and data shared over Bluetooth
• Reminders can be reordered in the Reminders app
• Custom vibrations for alerts on iPhone
• Clock app for iPad
• Clock alarm with song
• Search all fields in Contacts
• Automatic movie mode for improved video sound quality
• Definitions of a selected word for Chinese, French, German and Spanish
• New keyboard layouts for French, German, Turkish, Catalan, Arabic and Icelandic
• Keyboard shortcuts shared across devices via iCloud
• Bluetooth MAP support
• Global network proxy for HTTP
• Features for China
◦ Baidu web search
◦ Sina Weibo integration
◦ Share videos to Tudou
◦ Share videos to Youku
◦ Improved text input for handwriting and Pinyin
• Bug fixes

Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. Please visit this website for more details:
http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Okay, I updated IOS's (is that the right plural if you have two devices?) on the Iphone and Ipad in the afternoon. In the evening, I had to make a Skype call (business) at a remote location with wireless.

CRISIS!!!!!!!

For whatever reason, the neither Iphone or Ipad would stay connected to the wireless! It would display some Apple page (obviously not online) and boot it off the wireless connection!

I tried tweaking all kinds of things on both devices, like ensuring "connect automatically" was turned on, forgetting the network and re-entering the password, renewing the IP lease, clearing the Safari cache, and eventually both devices started connecting again, Iphone working correctly and Ipad connecting but browsing very slowly. I was able to complete my Skype call, but almost missed it.

It only happened on that one wireless network. And others on the same network with IOS devices (not updated) connected fine. Not sure what happened here but it's like there was some bug in the update, but it managed to fix itself.

Okay, I updated IOS's (is that the right plural if you have two devices?) on the Iphone and Ipad in the afternoon. In the evening, I had to make a Skype call (business) at a remote location with wireless.

CRISIS!!!!!!!

For whatever reason, the neither Iphone or Ipad would stay connected to the wireless! It would display some Apple page (obviously not online) and boot it off the wireless connection!

I tried tweaking all kinds of things on both devices, like ensuring "connect automatically" was turned on, forgetting the network and re-entering the password, renewing the IP lease, clearing the Safari cache, and eventually both devices started connecting again, Iphone working correctly and Ipad connecting but browsing very slowly. I was able to complete my Skype call, but almost missed it.

It only happened on that one wireless network. And others on the same network with IOS devices (not updated) connected fine. Not sure what happened here but it's like there was some bug in the update, but it managed to fix itself.

http://zoknowsgaming.com/2012/09/19/...breaking-wifi/

Updated everything. All current.

Found a neat/evil/bad thing. Start an over the air update on an iPad and then plug it into iTunes on the Mac and tell the Mac to update it too, and there's no safeguards against that.

It'll blow up, shove the iPad into recovery mode, and you'll be restoring from backup.

Ask me how I know. ;)

Six hours of fiddling later, all the non-protected App data is back on it, including redownloading all charts into Foreflight.

My own fault. Just thought it was interesting.

Haven't really played with any of the new features yet.

They moved "Mark as Unread" into the new flag icon. What uses to be one click now takes two. Grr.

And still no multi-colored flags to match Mail on the desktop. (Not a big deal but I use them extensively on the desktop and have always wanted that on the iPad.)

My favorite new feature of iOS6... it no longer prompts me for my Apple ID password when I ask it to "Update All" in App Store Updates. It used to prompt me for my password if a certain amount of time had passed since the last time I'd entered it. Still asks for PURCHASES, but doesn't prompt for the password when downloading app updates.

A blueshirt at the Apple store, guy in the trustworthy +50 group, said "ahh, you might want to wait a while" to upgrade.

Updated everything. All current.

Found a neat/evil/bad thing. Start an over the air update on an iPad and then plug it into iTunes on the Mac and tell the Mac to update it too, and there's no safeguards against that.

It'll blow up, shove the iPad into recovery mode, and you'll be restoring from backup.

Ask me how I know. ;)

Six hours of fiddling later, all the non-protected App data is back on it, including redownloading all charts into Foreflight.

My own fault. Just thought it was interesting.

Haven't really played with any of the new features yet.

Well...

I still have an iPad 1, so it's a no-go on that.

I'll probably stick with iOS 5.1 on my iPhone 4S for a while, both so that I have the same feature set on both devices, and so that I can decide whether I want the new "improved" maps. If Google had a maps application in the iOS app store so that I had the option of going back, maybe that'd push me over the fence.

So, as I understand it, there will be no more YouTube app appearing automatically in iOS6; will there then be a downloadable YouTube app?

Related question: does this all mean that, if/when I allow my AppleTV to upgrade to 6, I will no longer be able to play YouTube videos on the AppleTV?

---

Edit:

I read that Google is making a YouTube app available on the App Store - good; but will it work with AirPlay?

So, as I understand it, there will be no more YouTube app appearing automatically in iOS6; will there then be a downloadable YouTube app?

Yup. Already there.

If they do the same with Maps, I might actually upgrade.

Related question: does this all mean that, if/when I allow my AppleTV to upgrade to 6, I will no longer be able to play YouTube videos on the AppleTV?

No. While the AppleTV does run a version of iOS, it's not the normal iOS that's on the iPhone/iPad - It's got a different UI, no 3rd-party apps (yet), etc. Apple has been adding more capability to the AppleTV in the last month or two (Hulu Plus and... Uh, there's another new tile but I forgot what it is), I highly doubt they'd remove something, especially something as ubiquitous as YouTube.

I read that Google is making a YouTube app available on the App Store - good; but will it work with AirPlay?

AirPlay Mirroring, yes. Apparently Google is not supporting regular AirPlay in the initial version, at least. Kinda foolish if you ask me, but nobody ever asks me. :rofl:

AirPlay Mirroring, yes. Apparently Google is not supporting regular AirPlay in the initial version, at least. Kinda foolish if you ask me, but nobody ever asks me. :rofl:

Yeah, not happy with that. I've used it several times now, and its easier to use Safari and go to the website than use the app. I think it has to do with how the adds pop up.

Yup. Already there.

If they do the same with Maps, I might actually upgrade.

No. While the AppleTV does run a version of iOS, it's not the normal iOS that's on the iPhone/iPad - It's got a different UI, no 3rd-party apps (yet), etc. Apple has been adding more capability to the AppleTV in the last month or two (Hulu Plus and... Uh, there's another new tile but I forgot what it is), I highly doubt they'd remove something, especially something as ubiquitous as YouTube.

What is "AirPlay Mirroring"? Is that something that will not work if I upgrade to iOS6 on the iPad and load the YouTube App?

Maybe I wait a while before upgrading the 'Pad...

What is "AirPlay Mirroring"? Is that something that will not work if I upgrade to iOS6 on the iPad and load the YouTube App?

Maybe I wait a while before upgrading the 'Pad...

AirPlay Mirroring displays whatever is on your iPad on your AppleTV. (I think apps that support AirPlay themselves can display something different on the TV than they show on your iDevice screen.)

Double-tap the button, swipe your finger to the right - That'll bring up the audio/brightness/etc. controls. Tap the AirPlay button, tap Mirroring. Or something like that - I can't do it because it isn't supported on the iPad 1. You need an iPad 2 or higher and iOS 5 or higher.

AirPlay Mirroring displays whatever is on your iPad on your AppleTV. (I think apps that support AirPlay themselves can display something different on the TV than they show on your iDevice screen.)

Double-tap the button, swipe your finger to the right - That'll bring up the audio/brightness/etc. controls. Tap the AirPlay button, tap Mirroring. Or something like that - I can't do it because it isn't supported on the iPad 1. You need an iPad 2 or higher and iOS 5 or higher.

Oh, Kent, you incredible beast;

That sounds cooler than cool! Can't wait to try it.

If you haven't already been using it Spike, you've been missing out... I pull up stuff on the iPad and "throw" it onto the TV in the living room all the time. Also works from OSX, by the way... if you're on Mountain Lion, you can put your whole desktop up there on the HDTV. So easy to say, "Hey, check out this video, Karen!" and toss whatever I'm poking at on any device up to the TV.

P.S. Been running iOS 6 now for a couple of days... nothing earth-shattering. No comment on the maps, I asked Siri to give me directions somewhere on the iPad 3 (the iPhone 4 doesn't get Siri) and it routed it correctly. Guess folks are unhappy with it...

I haven't run across anything I didn't like yet, other than that move of the "Mark as Unread" into a menu item. I use that a lot.

Siri is goofy, never really cared... but it was fun to play with driving out to the airshow. I doubt I'll ever care if I can talk to my computer. Making a quick reminder or setting the alarm for the morning is simpler through it, than poking at the screen, though.

Back