iOS 6

The new Podcasts app is worse than worthless. Deleted it, rebooted, and went back to using the Music app to manage podcasts on my phone.

Really? Why? The Podcasts app has been out for a month or two already, and I found it to be MUCH better than playing them in the Music app. Syncing always messed up my podcasts in the Music app.

The lack of iPad YouTube thing is really annoying.

What do you mean? Isn't the new YouTube app optimized for the iPad?

Facebook integration and Facebook app doesn't allow you to @tag people in your status updates. Apparently the only "workaround" is to launch the full desktop site in the browser if you want / need to tag someone. I'd like to see them add tagging...

Me too! But again, this isn't really an iOS 6 problem, Facebook's own app hasn't supported it either. Probably my biggest gripe with Facebook!

So I played with mirroring, looks cool and all that, but when I play a YouTube vid, it automagically shifts to the native ipad YouTube app (duh), so I guess i can't know how it will work playing YT vids, with ios6, using miroring, until someone tries it.

Me too! But again, this isn't really an iOS 6 problem, Facebook's own app hasn't supported it either. Probably my biggest gripe with Facebook!

iOS6's integration COULD have supported it, even if FB.com's app didn't. Unless you think / know that iOS6's integration with FB is depending on the FB app for some API calls to do it.

This tagging feature has been around since September 2009... amazing that iOS doesn't support it yet. (My Android did!)

So I played with mirroring, looks cool and all that, but when I play a YouTube vid, it automagically shifts to the native ipad YouTube app (duh), so I guess i can't know how it will work playing YT vids, with ios6, using miroring, until someone tries it.

YouTube opens in safari now for links that used to open in the native app.

I can't get Passbook to load at all. I get a feature list splash screen when I open the app icon, and it has a button to get the app from the App Store, but clicking it says 'could not connect to the App Store.' I do have connectivity and can download apps. Searching manually for Passbook returns some third party apps; but not Pasbook.

I'm not the only one:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4310832?start=0&tstart=0

I tried all flavored of the manual future date override that worked for some folks, but it didn't help me.

This is on a new iPhone 5. Anybody else seeing this?

Facebook integration and Facebook app doesn't allow you to @tag people in your status updates. Apparently the only "workaround" is to launch the full desktop site in the browser if you want / need to tag someone. I'd like to see them add tagging...

THats a FB problem. FB's mobile site (mobile browser) won't let you share photos, either.

P.S. Been running iOS 6 now for a couple of days... nothing earth-shattering. No comment on the maps, I asked Siri to give me directions somewhere on the iPad 3 (the iPhone 4 doesn't get Siri) and it routed it correctly. Guess folks are unhappy with it...

I haven't run across anything I didn't like yet, other than that move of the "Mark as Unread" into a menu item. I use that a lot.

Siri is goofy, never really cared... but it was fun to play with driving out to the airshow. I doubt I'll ever care if I can talk to my computer. Making a quick reminder or setting the alarm for the morning is simpler through it, than poking at the screen, though.

Maps is weak, especially with routing. Sometimes it gets things right, but often it will take you on a route more adventurous than you would perhaps prefer. When I heard that Apple was using some data from TomTom for Maps, I had to cringe--TomTom's map data is not as accurate as that from NAVTEQ, in my experience, and the routing engine that they use in their portable GPS units is horrible. On the other hand, Google's been doing maps for quite a while, and they aren't perfect, either. I expect Apple to improve on this capability quickly.

I would be inclined to agree with you regarding Siri. Siri seems like a novelty item, but not especially useful as a replacement or even a practical "assistant" for much of anything. For the things that it does do, I find myself having to double-check its work. For simple questions, such as "What is the first day of autumn," it seems to grind away for quite a while before it responds. There are many things that it SHOULD be able to do (like search a network address book, or create a contact) which it apparently can't do. I understand that it's sort of a neat "beta" technology, so I can't really complain about it, but I'm not sure why I should be excited about it, either.

JKG

Well...

I still have an iPad 1, so it's a no-go on that.

I'll probably stick with iOS 5.1 on my iPhone 4S for a while, both so that I have the same feature set on both devices, and so that I can decide whether I want the new "improved" maps. If Google had a maps application in the iOS app store so that I had the option of going back, maybe that'd push me over the fence.
I put it on my 4S on Friday, no problems at all. I do like the new maps app a little better than google maps because of a few features, like voice directions, will make it easier to use in the car when I forget my GPS on trips.

Anyone see any weird interactions with Foreflight and iOS 6 on the iPad2 yet?

Anyone see any weird interactions with Foreflight and iOS 6 on the iPad2 yet?

Just that locations / addresses launch google maps in the browser rather than the maps app, but that is not a big deal.

Doesn't sound like iOS6 is a very stable, or liked platform...has the lack of Steve Jobs hurt them as much as it did when they fired him before?

Doesn't sound like iOS6 is a very stable, or liked platform...has the lack of Steve Jobs hurt them as much as it did when they fired him before?
I have not heard anything about stability issues and I have not seen any problems with it yet. Could you elaborate?

I have not heard anything about stability issues and I have not seen any problems with it yet. Could you elaborate?

What I've picked up so far (and I'm not an Apple guy, so I'm just repeating stuff):

1. The Maps app is horribly inaccurate, missing key data, and has a lot of graphical issues
2. The iPad is missing the YouTube app
3. No Google Search (or Apple Equivalent), and therefore, no way to search for local items without using the horribly flawed Apple Maps
4. Something I don't understand where you can both update OTA from the phone and from iTunes at the same time, and it breaks the phone, requiring some sort of button pressing refresh or something.

And not related to iOS6 specifically, but I hear that the paint is already starting to wear on the new iPhone, only a few days after people got it into their hands.

What I've picked up so far (and I'm not an Apple guy, so I'm just repeating stuff):

1. The Maps app is horribly inaccurate, missing key data, and has a lot of graphical issues
2. The iPad is missing the YouTube app
3. No Google Search (or Apple Equivalent), and therefore, no way to search for local items without using the horribly flawed Apple Maps
4. Something I don't understand where you can both update OTA from the phone and from iTunes at the same time, and it breaks the phone, requiring some sort of button pressing refresh or something.

And not related to iOS6 specifically, but I hear that the paint is already starting to wear on the new iPhone, only a few days after people got it into their hands.
Ah ok, when I hear 'stability problems' I tend to think that what was meant was that the software was crashing a lot. Not that a few apps have a couple of bugs.

Not impressed nor discouraged with the upgrade other than the new maps app with almost useless traffic info when compared to google maps. Other than that, a non-event, which is a default success.

Ios6 and latest foreflight was pretty crash happy whenever I tried to view airmets yesterday. I went flying with it today without a crash. Hmmmm. My pantech battery backup crapped itself pretty hard though I don't think I can blame that on the update.

Being one of the 3 people in the known universe who does not have a facebook account and I like the built in Google maps app, I have no need nor desire for the bells and whistles of iOS6. I got a notice that it is ready for my iPod Touch.

If by some combination of fat fingers or other stupidity one accidentally installs it, can one revert to an earlier version?

Cheers

Sounds like the new OS is almost as good as the Android now. Maybe v6.x will get there.

I would be inclined to agree with you regarding Siri. Siri seems like a novelty item, but not especially useful as a replacement or even a practical "assistant" for much of anything.

Siri is most useful for things that it does well but would otherwise require a lot of finger-poking on the screen. Things like "Remind me to call mom when I get home" or "Get me directions to xxxx." It's certainly not the be-all end-all do-everything-this-way input method - Then again, nothing is.

I put it on my 4S on Friday, no problems at all. I do like the new maps app a little better than google maps because of a few features, like voice directions, will make it easier to use in the car when I forget my GPS on trips.

I think for a while, I'm still going to want Google around to double-check against - Kinda like how I look in ForeFlight for fuel prices but I still check Airnav too. Unfortunately, using both Apple's maps and Google Maps is currently not an option, so I'll be waiting until there's a Google Maps app in the app store to upgrade.

Not impressed nor discouraged with the upgrade other than the new maps app with almost useless traffic info when compared to google maps. Other than that, a non-event, which is a default success.

Try Waze. Free, socially-sourced traffic, maps, directions, accident & police alerts.

Once apple can do something as simple as wrapping text when you enlarge font size with your fingers I'll quit laughing at the fanboys. I have both devices and the apple phone is technically behind the android IMHO

I can't get Passbook to load at all. I get a feature list splash screen when I open the app icon, and it has a button to get the app from the App Store, but clicking it says 'could not connect to the App Store.' I do have connectivity and can download apps. Searching manually for Passbook returns some third party apps; but not Pasbook.

I'm not the only one:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4310832?start=0&tstart=0

I tried all flavored of the manual future date override that worked for some folks, but it didn't help me.

This is on a new iPhone 5. Anybody else seeing this?

Finally got it to load today, by setting the date to June 26, 2014... 2013 didn't work for me. Have ZERO idea what bug causes this. Incorrect time set on a server somewhere?

Re: Apple Maps app.

How do they get away with excluding a competitor (Google Maps) and including only their own?

I thought the Justice Dept. already set a precedent on this topic with Microsoft Windows and browser selections and default selections...

How do they get away with excluding a competitor (Google Maps) and including only their own?

I thought the Justice Dept. already set a precedent on this topic with Microsoft Windows and browser selections and default selections...

Its been clearly demonstrated with both OSX and iOS that the Justice Department's precedent decisions do not apply to Apple.

I believe the map data was licensed from TomTom for the new App.

There's no dearth of competitors for map data nor mapping applications.

Whether one could claim its unfair to have it integrated with the OS would be the question, if you're alluding to the Microsoft Internet Explorer anti-trust suits.

Someone could bring a lawsuit and try to make the case.

About all it led to was more MSFT sales since they typically just settled with government entities and created versions of the OS without the browser installed by default. Click a button, it magically reappeared without a download. Ha.

Apple isn't excluding anyone. Competitors can (and have) submitted apps to the App Store, and they have been approved. Google has apparently not yet done so for their version of Maps.

There was much more to the Microsoft case than just bundling Internet Explorer. OS manufacturers have been bundling applications for decades. As I recall, driving the case was the allegation that Microsoft tied IE into the OS in such a way as to make it a required part of the OS, and essentially restricted similar capability for competing browsers. That is not the case with OS X or iOS.

JKG

I believe the map data was licensed from TomTom for the new App.

There's no dearth of competitors for map data nor mapping applications.

Actually, the last time I looked, global map data providers were few and far between. TeleAtlas (TomTom) and NAVTEQ are the two big ones. Google used to license some data from TeleAtlas, but I'm not sure if they still do.

You're right that there are plenty of map/navigation providers, and near as I can tell, Apple does nothing to inhibit the use of any of them.

JKG

I was playing around with the Apple map app today on the motorcycle ride in to work.

The app has auto waypoint capability (the previous Google app did not) but for whatever reason, it does not appear to have an auto recalc feature. How odd.

I plugged the route in to the phone, but went a different way than it suggested. Hence, no waypoint updates. However, once I became established on the portion of the route it chose, it magically started working again and provided progressive instructions.

The free Maquest app does both auto waypoints and auto recalc. It also shows the same traffic information Google gives you. It does not, however, do a good job of searching for places. The Apple app does a better job but still not as good as Google did.

Back