Invisible fence?

Cooter

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Cooter
My wife brought home a couple of pups so we're going to need to start looking at fencing options. Our yard is 2+ acres and I want to leave it open, so going with invisible fence looks like the best option. I'm looking any guidance on what to look for, what to avoid, etc. Also, any tips for installation, or gotchas I may not be aware of. Thanks!

Stay away from petsafe.

I changed to Invisible fence brand. Some pretty significant differences between the two. Haven't had any problems with my invisible fence where is I had quite a bit of problems with my PetSafe.
Invisible fence is, of course, more expensive, but they come and install it for you and that's worth the extra money.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Which ever fence you get, take the dog training instructions seriously. The dogs have to learn that if they get close, they get "reminded". If they charge the fence and learn they can cross it quickly with minimal discomfort, they will. They also have to learn that the yard near the fence is safe. My FIL tried to train his dog "his way". He just led the dog straight to the fence and let him get shocked. The dog became afraid to go outside, and when he did, he circled the house hugging the walls, afraid to venture out.

Of course, this dog was "mentally challenged" to start with, but the training is important.

Keep in mind that shock collars do not work at all on some breeds. On Samoyeds, for example, (see avatar), the neck fur is so thick that the collar does not make reliable contact.

We've used Invisible Fence brand for decades and multiple generations of dogs at multiple homes. Pretty bomb proof except they do attract lightning strikes. The Company has replaced free multiple units if you use their lightning/surge unit.
I've found a smart dog almost trains themselves.
Need battery changes about q6mos.
Company way overcharges for the battery. You can take the little plastic cannister apart and use 1/3N batteries in the cannister.
Would not have a dog without Invis Fence.
And, oh, I've installed all but the first system myself- not rocket science

We've used Invisible Fence brand for decades and multiple generations of dogs at multiple homes. Pretty bomb proof except they do attract lightning strikes. The Company has replaced free multiple units if you use their lightning/surge unit.
I've found a smart dog almost trains themselves.
Need battery changes about q6mos.
Company way overcharges for the battery. You can take the little plastic cannister apart and use 1/3N batteries in the cannister.
Would not have a dog without Invis Fence.
And, oh, I've installed all but the first system myself- not rocket science
Is there a limitation that restricts the size? And do straight lines keep the costs down? I think I will do it myself and would like to fence about two full acres of my yard if I can.

We loved our invisible fence. What added to the cost was cutting through the driveway at two points. The only negative was our dog was out one evening and got sprayed by a skunk. It keeps your dog in, but it doesn't keep anything out!

Don't know of a limit in length of circumference wire but I've done up to about 4ac. Don't understand the concern re straight lines.
I've buried some, in one application I just laid it thru the leaf litter/loam in the woods.
A lot of folks don't understand the wire is an antenna not a voltage/current carrier.
BTW some real deals are generally available on eBay.

IMG_0683.JPG
Keep in mind that shock collars do not work at all on some breeds. On Samoyeds, for example, (see avatar), the neck fur is so thick that the collar does not make reliable contact.
They are a German shepherd mix, I'll have to wait and see I guess. I think they'll fairly think hair.

If you've a gravel driveway run the wire thru a PVC conduit to span it - gravel driven over will eventually cut the wire

If you've a gravel driveway run the wire thru a PVC conduit to span it - gravel driven over will eventually cut the wire
Yeah, I do. I'll have to bury it down a little ways so that I can scrape it for maintenance.

Big dogs, if motivated, can and will run through it - they know it's there; they just kinda grit their teeth and take the plunge.

Big dogs, if motivated, can and will run through it - they know it's there; they just kinda grit their teeth and take the plunge.
We had a friend with a Jack Russell that did that, and once he got through he wasn't coming back. He'd let out a big help and just keep going.

I'm hoping our yard is big enough to keep them satisfied. All of our other animals never seemed to want to leave our porch, I can't keep them away.

I heard a story about a dog who figured out that if he got close to the boundary, the warning beeps would go off. Then he'd stop at that point before getting shocked, and then the beeps would continue until the battery died. When the beeping stopped, the dog crossed the line.

I heard a story about a dog who figured out that if he got close to the boundary, the warning beeps would go off. Then he'd stop at that point before getting shocked, and then the beeps would continue until the battery died. When the beeping stopped, the dog crossed the line.

Dog I had growing up had multiple ways across. The above was her lazy way. She'd also bolt if she wanted. Would also do some super slow stalk that would confuse the thing somehow, get it to time out. Etc. I think it was a game for her. When they weren't in the invisible fence area, we kept them tied up. She would find a way to cross tie the other dog and in the process remove the chain from her collar. Multiple times a day. Some dogs just are too smart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dog did that, an english setter. We had the invisable fence for 7 years, worked great keeping two dogs in. Then the setter figured out the battery trick and we could not keep her in. Took me a while to figure out what she was doing. Never could keep her in after that.

Don't know why y'all's dogs don't want to stay home. Mine do. :D

Burying the line sucks. Did my 1+ acre myself. Found a straight (flat) shovel worked best. Step it down, and push a few inches forward. Follow along with the wire and a wood paint stirrer to push down, then walk on it to push soil back down. Used skill saw to notch expansion joint in driveway to cross, followed up with silicone. Worse part is finding breaks in the line 5-6 yrs later.

Burying the line sucks. Did my 1+ acre myself. Found a straight (flat) shovel worked best. Step it down, and push a few inches forward. Follow along with the wire and a wood paint stirrer to push down, then walk on it to push soil back down. Used skill saw to notch expansion joint in driveway to cross, followed up with silicone. Worse part is finding breaks in the line 5-6 yrs later.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm probably going to do something more complicated and time consuming, but it involves a tractor and what seems like a good idea. I saw a YouTube video on using a sub-soiler to lay line and I'm determined to get it to work. My first effort was kind of a bust. I'm guessing this need to be buried shallow though, which might make it tough.

If it goes deep, you can turn up the "width" of the signal at the control box to compensate. Be very careful with this control - it is possible to turn it way up and have the signal well into your yard or even into your house. Start way low and work up and don't let just anybody dick around with it once it's set right. Don't want your pooches getting zapped inappropriately.

TroyBilt makes a combination edger/trencher that's just the thing for wire placement, if you're ready to invest a couple/three hundred dollars in the project.
It edges with one blade, add the second blade and it trenches! Actually works pretty well.
I got tired of the spade work after about my third install.

they work great....till you get a stubborn dog that learns how to break thru. One of mine did. o_O

Y'all have it covered. I got the PetSafe brand for our 1.75 acre lot and it worked fine. Luckily 90% of the property line is wooded so not much digging was required. I left the wire on the surface and let leaves cover it. Only issue was the dog would leave every time the battery in her collar died. I guess she relied on the warning beep to know when to turn back vs. remembering the property line. I'll give a 2nd on following the training plan. It was simple and resulted in a fence that worked 100% when the battery was good.

Back