Invisible dog fences and animal containment ideas.

Gary Ward

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Challenger1
Tired of maintaining wire in the ground for our dog fence. Tired of it because I can't find the break or problem area. Any ideas? I used a am radio and a choke and headset to try to drown out the overhead jets and truck traffic noise out by the street. No luck really. Should I call a pro? I have over acre enclosed, pia.

Then what about Halo? anyone use a system like that? I guess at first glance it uses GPS? Is this better deal than wires in the ground?

TIA

Suggestion #1 - https://www.amazon.com/Underground-...cphy=1015044&hvtargid=pla-1407245643017&psc=1

Suggestion #2 - Put on the collar and walk the perimeter. When the pain stops you’ve found the break.

I wish it worked with a break in the wire, but it doesn't. Putting a choke across the leads with the power on does the same thing as the 55 dollar tool. No guarantee you will find it. Thanks for idea though.

Been messing with underground fences for years. First my neighbors UG fence as I let them put it on my property to allow their dog to walk around the side of there house. I have repaired it for her several times as I hit it with the mower. Then I put in a 1.5 acre fence on my side, I think 1500' worth? No small feat trouble shooting it. It had to stay away from her wire but not a big deal as we have enough room.
I think I am going to try a GPS based system. Would love to hear from someone who is using one?

I’ve had a Halo for a couple of years. It works great unless the dog is on step to get to something on the other side. Really iseful for keeping normal dogs in their space. Really easy to set the borders, too.

I’ve had a Halo for a couple of years. It works great unless the dog is on step to get to something on the other side. Really iseful for keeping normal dogs in their space. Really easy to set the borders, too.
Thanks!!
He is easily persuaded, big wimp. Like all dogs he learned the perimeter real fast and stayed inside. Never broke out as he did not like the shock or the warning beep. The dog fence has been out of order for years now and he stayed in until lately.
But as all dogs get older they forget and get bolder. He is not street wise and we live on a busy street. My last 2 got ran over on the street when they got old, 12 and 13 and forgot how dangerous the street is. They both were streetwise when they were younger. I was single then. My wife will kill me if this one get's ran over. He been on a rope for the last 2 days since I saw him cross the street for first time. Wife is out of town. I got to do sometime because a dog does not belong on a rope.

My neighbors dogs, german shepherd, rottweiler, Doberman are 3 that I can think of that she had in 35 years of living next door that would run through the fence. I watched the germen shepherd just go for it with a yelp as he passed through!! lol Then watch her try to get him back in. He said said no way. A circus show. lol

Invisible fence does not keep the coyotes out of your yard either. Just ask our dog when he was 7 months old, he had a close call with a coyote in the middle of the night right next to our house. Got him a dog door so he could get in fast if needed after that.

I have a wire around 5 acres, 3rd dog trained on such, German Shepherd. Even if you had to string new wire, it would be cheaper than getting ‘professionals’ involved.

Yes I’ve had breaks, just figure out where & fix it,

I have ran new wire in sections, I think old wire can interfere with new energized wire? On some systems. 2 wires next to each other cancel each other out. I have had 2 different ones in the past, one does that. I used what I thought was good wire, not the cheaper thinner gauge stuff that came with the kits. Still have trouble after many trouble free years.

The Halo uses a sound, then a vibrate, then a shock as the dog approaches the boundaries. One ping has always turned my dog around.

The local Invisible Fence franchisee made a service call to our house to find a break in a wire caused by digging for a cable TV line. The service visit wasn’t that expensive, maybe $100 or so, including the repair.

To find the break, they turned the power on for the wire, and walked around with a handheld probe on a long wand.

I stopped burying the wire and just attached it to the ground with some landscaping stakes. It’s much easier to find breaks now.

We have one of those proximity collars/transmitters. Central transmitter with a dial to adjust the range.

Back