Inverted flat spin POV

Very cool. The record is 81 but you never know what can happen in a weekend

Oh man, that's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just puked up my Cheerios. That's crazy!

Ok, so who is taking me up to do this!?!?!?

No Joy there I had to travel 5hrs for Spin Training

In Kentucky? I thought there used to be a guy in Lexington that did aerobatic training in a Pitts. Oh well, used to be a lot more than there are now. Used to be every market had at least one place that as where to go for acro.

Would go even flatter with a metal prop. :)

Yeah, there are times I had a big hunk of metal up there:) I was still fairly new to the Pitts when I installed the Catto so I hadn't tried much in the way of
gyroscopics with the metal prop. I bought my Catto from Sammy Mason who was selling because he wanted more gyro effect. IIRC, he said the Catto would only give 2.5 consecutive snap rolls. Judging by what I see on his Oshkosh performance video the metal prop allows for a few more snaps:)

he said the Catto would only give 2.5 consecutive snap rolls. Judging by what I see on his Oshkosh performance video the metal prop allows for a few more snaps:)

Told me the same thing. All I can figure with the metal prop is that since it produces more gyro effect, the right yaw associated with a pitch toward the canopy helps sustain the right snap. I can get 5 Avalanche snaps to the right, but never tried to see how many I can get on a down line. I doubt I'll match Sammy's setup. He's flying with forward CG also. I'm way aft.

I have data that proves a Pitts S1 with a IO-540 does more inverted flat spins per 1000 feet with a 2 blade metal prop then a Claw does.

Gee, I was excited because I just did my first inverted stall a few weeks ago. That felt pretty weird, but this does look dizzying.

Gee, I was excited because I just did my first inverted stall a few weeks ago. That felt pretty weird, but this does look dizzying.

:lol: Yeah, I remember that feeling, and the surprise when the plane popped upright on its own because I was holding in the wrong rudder.:lol:

With some luck there should be a new record on inverted flat spins this Sunday.

Thanks but no thanks,have an old stomach.

With some luck there should be a new record on inverted flat spins this Sunday.

Cool, I always question why someone would want to, but WTH, if they want to, why not.

My favorite aerobatics routines are always the glider routines. The whole, 'extreme aerobatics' never really caught my fancy, mostly because it costs me my lunch.:lol: Let her spin 2-5 times, no worries, not sure I can make 20 inverted:vomit::lol: Snap rolls are what really get me to lose my lunch. I can take pretty much anything in the normal regime except snap rolls. I don't think the planes appreciate them a whole lot either, that's a rough ride for everyone.

Media exposure and self promotion for airshow work.

I guess, I would think the coverage and "big whoop" factor to a spinning record would be pretty limited, but I guess the market is as well, so good of a reason as any I guess.

We were not able to increase the record. We made two of our objectives, she climbed to FL244 and the seat belt issue was fixed. This plane is a true performer, I have a fix for the new problem that came up, we will try again soon. I knew she could get to FL240, who needs a turbo.

https://youtu.be/JBN6i7XNGt8

We were not able to increase the record. We made two of our objectives, she climbed to FL244 and the seat belt issue was fixed. This plane is a true performer, I have a fix for the new problem that came up, we will try again soon. I knew she could get to FL240, who needs a turbo.

https://youtu.be/JBN6i7XNGt8

Cool, did you do any spinning at all? Is it 300+hp?

It did spin 38 times from 24400 to 15500. That was encouraging, the plane spins more per thousand feet the lower it gets.

The plane has a IO540 with 260 HP, a inverted oil system was added to the engine.

It did spin 38 times from 24400 to 15500. That was encouraging, the plane spins more per thousand feet the lower it gets.

The plane has a IO540 with 260 HP, a inverted oil system was added to the engine.

What is the record, and what caused you to recover at 15,500?

The record is 81 inverted flat spins, the pilot I am working with has it, we are trying to increase it with hopes of getting 100 spins. last attempt he had a problem with the seatbelt placement, we fixed that issue. Today we had issues with being able to keep his head out of the back of the plane, we have a fix for that. We didn't have any of these issues spinning from 18K down.

Flat spins? That's due to CG right? Rear CG, goes flat. I dunno, those Pitts seem to be able to do just about anything and come out of it...

One time is my HUSKY I went up and stalled it, it was a mushy stall and just me so forward CG. I pushed the left rudder all the way to the floor and put both hands on the stick and held it all the way back! And it just sat there flat a teen bopper and sloooowly
rotated around. I kept waiting for the wing to drop and it to spin, but it wouldnt. Just was mushing and rotating. WEIRD!

oh, it recovered immediately. it wasnt really a flat spin, but it was a flat SOMETHING

Flat spins? That's due to CG right? Rear CG, goes flat. I dunno, those Pitts seem to be able to do just about anything and come out of it...

In aerobatic airplanes, it's a spin that's deliberately flattened by adding three flattening forces - outspin aileron, propwash over the elevator, and some gyroscopic precession of the propeller. They are done at high power and easily recoverable in pretty much all aerobatic airplanes.

Some non-aerobatic airplanes have quirks that can cause a regular spin to flatten after it fully develops. If you ever see one of these, you probably just became a test pilot.

Even in spin-approved non-aerobatic airplanes, I'd recommend against deliberately attempting to flatten a spin. You'd be surprised how drastically the character of the spin can change. I flew a Clipped Cub for a few years, which had very predictable and immediately recoverable normal spin characteristics. I learned that simply applying outspin aileron (left rudder, right aileron) during a regular power off spin completely changed the nature of the spin recovery. The rudder became very ineffective, and it required nearly one full rotation to recover this spin mode. Unprovoked, it would normally recover in about 1/4 turn just by neutralizing the controls.

what model pitts is that? i flew a s-2b

wow id love to do that!

Back